If You Lay With Your Child Until They Fall Asleep - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2011, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

how do you keep from going crazy?!

Ds is taking sooooooo long to fall asleep since I stopped nursing him to sleep (45 minutes - 2 hours). He's all over the place on the bed but doesn't want us to leave the room either.

So I'm curious what others do who are in a similar place (I know I'm not alone). How do you keep from getting totally aggravated? Do you keep a low light on or stay in the dark? How do you keep from being bored?

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 11:57 PM

I got a lot of books read while waiting for my kids to fall asleep. Dh would bring his laptop and work. We didn't lie in bed with them, but rather on the floor next to their beds. So, I kept a low light (usually reading with light from the hall), but you could easily use a booklight too.

I did get aggravated at times. I did the best when my attitude was "this is a good time for me to relax and read a book I wouldn't otherwise get a chance to read".

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Old 01-06-2011, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is two and doing the same thing. I've tried reading books and everything else. Nothing seems to work. I just let him toss and turn and he eventually goes to sleep. I think I just need to wear him out more during the early evening so that when bedtime comes, he will pass out.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

Old 01-06-2011, 08:34 AM

I just fall asleep and get DH to wake me up when DS1 and DS2 are asleep! I get back up for a few hours with DH then snuggle back to bed. We cosleep.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:50 PM

We have a fairly bright nightlight but mostly the room is dark. We don't talk or interact at all once stories are read and goodnights are said. NPR saved my life, if that's not too stimulating for your LO; otherwise, I recommend listening to podcasts or music on your ipod; reading books; or surfing the web on my phone :)

FTR, our bedtime struggles (it used to take ds sometimes 2 hours to fall asleep!) pretty much ended once we stopped his daytime naps. If you can make it through the late-day rough patches, bedtime is a breeze :)

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

Old 01-07-2011, 05:54 PM

iPhone.

Or a book with a book light, if that's not too distracting.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
Old 01-07-2011, 07:13 PM

I feel your "pain" and actually have the same issue posted a few titles down...

How is the night lighting in your room?

I removed the night light I used to have in our room a few months ago, and that made a dramatic difference since he couldn't see in the dark to play, though lately, he would still babble and feel his way around in the dark once his eyes got adjusted (alarm clock puts out some ambiant light, but I need it). He is also a heat seeking biter lately, with a couple new teeth coming in and can't wait to sink his teeth into any part of my available skin, so that takes up some of his time.

Also, I just spent the past month nightweaning, and DH would take over co-sleeping duties as soon as DS was done nursing (I would leave the room) and he was able to get DS to sleep in 10-15 min. My jaw would drop watching it on the baby monitor!

Naptime during the day has continued to be a struggle since the room is not dark enough even with room darkening shades. I spent 90 min both yesterday and today in bed with DS and finally gave up on his nap since it got too late in the day. On the upside, he fell asleep in 10 min last night and in about 5 min tonight. But, I still feel that he needs to nap during the day, so the issue remains about how to get him to fall asleep. At least DH is here on the weekends to takeover naps since he has the midas touch. I just have to worry about 5 days of the week.

I might try getting him back in the crib (suggested by other posters)  that has been used as a repository for our clothes so far. I think I'll try taking off the side rail, but now that he's a toddler, I have to have it at the lowest setting, which makes for a big gap with our bed and his crib mattress, so not sure what to do for that.

Best of luck. I know how you feel...

Old 01-07-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post

I got a lot of books read while waiting for my kids to fall asleep. Dh would bring his laptop and work. We didn't lie in bed with them, but rather on the floor next to their beds. So, I kept a low light (usually reading with light from the hall), but you could easily use a booklight too.

I did get aggravated at times. I did the best when my attitude was "this is a good time for me to relax and read a book I wouldn't otherwise get a chance to read".

This.  Or I knit.  Or silently seethed and counted the days until they didn't need me anymore.  And it eventually ended.  DD is 4-1/2, DS is almost 7 and both go to bed on their own, and stay in bed all night (most nights; some nights we wake up with a kid in between us, but we don't even know when they came in so it's no big whoop to us. lol.gif)

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
Old 01-11-2011, 09:39 PM

what about a later bedtime?

Momma to little Atlin Feb2010dust.gif2nd on its way

Old 01-11-2011, 09:53 PM

I have a time limit on how long I will lay with them. Then I say I have to go pee, or check with Daddy about something, and will be back up in 5 minutes. Usually this does the trick and DS (3) is asleep by then. Worked with DD as well, when she was that age. Eventually though, DD would look at books by herself or listen to music through little speakers. We moved to "if you want music/books, Mama is going to go downstairs. I will come check on you every xx minutes though. If you want me to sit with you, it has to be dark and quiet." Then I'd leave, she'd be thrilled to get books or music to herself and feel grown up.

She reads with us at bedtime now, and then she's set for 10 hours between the putting herself to bed and the getting up and dressed independently (6 yo). For a bit she'd call me back an hour later to sit with her while she actually fell asleep, but that lasted only a month or so IIRC. When I do sit in the dark, I took the laptop or I knitted. It was hard not to fall asleep myself though.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
Old 01-12-2011, 06:53 AM

If it takes longer than 10-15 minutes then it's not working.  Either I'm distracting them, they're not tired, they're trying to keep themselves awake.  Every scenario has a different solution (for one - dropping the nap, another - getting them to fall asleep alone, another - getting strict about settling down).  But basically I never lay there for a long period of time.  I'd go through the roof with frustration if I had to.  I can't lie there if I'm the one falling asleep.  Not to mind if it's someone else!

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

Old 01-12-2011, 09:50 AM

I read on my iphone (or play angry birds :o)  I just turn the brightness of the screen down real low.  My youngest is almost 4, but he sleeps with us about half the time and loves to fall asleep on my tummy. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:17 AM

Mostly I'm on the internet with my netbook, that way I can keep the lights off and he'll go to sleep quicker.  Sometimes I read, but I need to keep the bedside light on for that and then he takes longer to fall asleep.  It's just the 2 of us here though so I don't mind hanging out in the bed reading or on the internet, I've got nothing else to do anyway!  If we are visiting family or friends then he just stays up late until he's ready to nurse to sleep (usually after 11pm before he's tired enough).  He would definitely go to sleep quicker if we skipped the nap, but he gets so tired during the day and actually nurses to sleep in minutes for his nap, I just wish bedtime were that easy! 

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
Old 01-12-2011, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post

I have a time limit on how long I will lay with them. Then I say I have to go pee, or check with Daddy about something, and will be back up in 5 minutes. Usually this does the trick and DS (3) is asleep by then. Worked with DD as well, when she was that age. Eventually though, DD would look at books by herself or listen to music through little speakers. We moved to "if you want music/books, Mama is going to go downstairs. I will come check on you every xx minutes though. If you want me to sit with you, it has to be dark and quiet." Then I'd leave, she'd be thrilled to get books or music to herself and feel grown up.

I've so tried this but the second I try to get off the bed he screams. He screams if I sit beside the bed, go do laundry, go downstairs.

I love the idea of saying I'll stay for so many minutes & if he's not falling asleep than he's not ready but it doesn't seem to matter what time I bring him up it's taking 2+ hours. Last night it was 1:30!!!

Old 01-12-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

I've so tried this but the second I try to get off the bed he screams. He screams if I sit beside the bed, go do laundry, go downstairs.

DD would freak out, too but I just knew it was what she needed (to fall asleep alone).  I lay with my son for a good year longer than I did with her. He loved to snuggle and rest.  She's a talker/headstander.  I just told her I was going to read a book to her brother and would be back at the end of it.  I would get halfway through the book and I'd hear her go from yelling to singing.  She was totally fine.  She was just screaming to hear her own voice, or something.

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

Old 01-12-2011, 12:48 PM

I posted about the same thing a while ago, and still haven't found the solution to my problem.

What really worked, when I was working it, was telling DD WAY in advance that there would be some changes to how we went to bed. She really caught onto that, and when I would try to lie next to her, she told me to go sit at the foot of her bed. Then the holidays came, we all got stomach flu, and it all went to crap.

Starting over next week.

I think giving advance warning and discussing it casually before the actual event might help things. You could then work on gradually getting farther and father away from the bed, until you're out of the room. (says the person who hasn't actually managed to do it yet!).

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2011, 05:32 PM

The "I'll be back in 2 minutes" or, 'I'm going to swap out the laundry" didn't work with DS until he was nearly 4.   At that point he was only taking 10 min to fall asleep so it wasn't a big deal, but we wanted to get over that last hump and that's when it finally worked well enough to make it worth doing.  DD was just over 3 when it started working for her.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Ok - I'm glad I'm not the only one the "back in 2" thing isn't working for. I've tried leaving him to see if he will settle but he just screams the whole time (not really crying - screaming).

I have tried talking to him through the day about bedtime but I think he is still a little bit too young to be totally getting what I'm planning 'cause come bedtime it's the same.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:21 PM

I'm pretty sure DD was 3.5 when I started saying I needed to go pee or whatever (I was pg with DS, so it was often very true!). DS does okay with it generally, but they share a room so he's not alone when I duck out for a minute. And I guess he sees me do it with DD so it's familiar.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
Old 01-12-2011, 08:27 PM

The "I'll be back in two minutes" doesn't work with my kids either : boooo.

I read on my iPhone-it's pretty much the only time I get to read the news....or I fall asleep and DH comes and gets me. It took a couple of months after I stopped nursing them to sleep that they started falling asleep 10-15 minutes after stories, instead of one or more hours.

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
Old 01-13-2011, 06:56 AM

My DD was great with routine. So, at that age, I would put her to bed, turn down the lights, and put on a soft, instrumental cd on a low volume.  Harp, acoustic guitar, lullabye music basically.  I would lay next to her and just use it as relaxy time for me, and when the cd was over I would leave.  The cd was probably 30-40 minutes long, so I think she felt like she was getting plenty of time, she was relaxing in the dark, and by then I had just accepted that I would be laying with her for a period of time.

Accepting it helps!  Listening to music helped me, because I just find it way more pleasurable than lying in the dark knowing I can't fall asleep yet.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:23 AM

No naps during the day, never ever period.

I take a book light and read/study for about 20 minutes while he settles in, then after that I sit with my eyes closed and ignore him. He gets the hint and falls asleep pretty quickly after that.

caffix.gif Me + geek.gif M = banana.gif ('07) & babyf.gif ('10)
Old 01-13-2011, 07:34 AM

I will also mention that my kids stopped napping at 26 and 28 months.  I mean, they could have kept on naping around 3pm every day, but then they'd be awake until 11pm and then awake again at 6am because htey always woke at 6am no matter what time they fell asleep at night - believe me, we tried lots of different configurations....and skipping naps and dealing iwth crankiness for a couple hours at the end of the night and getting 12 hours total sleep time per day was WAY better than the the 9-10-hour alternative with a nap inserted.  When it started taking longer for them to fall asleep than they slept during daytime naps, daytime naps were done and nighttime sleep got so much easier.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:43 AM

We're in the same pickle jar, and I'm afraid I don't have any good advice to add.

DH does it best with his iPod. Just lies there and listens until DS falls asleep.

I don't have an iPod, and when I lie next to DS, he starts to flop around. DH tells me to tell him to lie still, but he can lie still for only 30 seconds or so.

"I'm not tired," is his latest refrain. I thought 11:30pm last night was late, but upthread, there's a LO who went to 1am.

Can't withdraw nap - he naps at daycare.

Leaving the room for a few minutes; he's still awake when I return. He usually remains quiet, because we tell him we will shut his door if he makes noise or gets off the bed. But he can stay awake for...hours?

Our routine was shot to heck when we had family visit for 3 weeks over the holidays, and DS is naturally a night owl, so he stayed up later and was also not napping because he wasn't going to daycare as regularly. It's been a week, and we're still not back into the nighttime routine. I mean, we DO the routine - bath, lotion & PJs, teeth, stories - but the sleep does not come.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:56 AM

It occurs to me something that helped our kids when they "couldn't sleep".  We told them, "You don't have to sleep.  All you have to do is lay there with your eyes closed and your body still and your body will do the rest."  I guess they both felt like there was something they had to *do* to fall asleep.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:32 AM

With my first child, he slept with me until he started preschool.  We lived in a small one bedroom apt so it was just a matter of space.  Then as school time aproached, I began talking to him about being a big boy and big boys GET TO ( not have to) sleep in their very own beds...Isn't that EXCITING!!!  The more he saw my excitement over it the more he became excited and by the time we moved to a bigger place, he was ready and more than willing to sleep in a bed that he help mommy and daddy pick out with sheets he chose for himself...We also had a small table lamp with a 15 volt bulb in it, set up beside his bed...The only time we had trouble was when it stormed outside which didn't happen all that much...By the time preschool came around, I can count on one hand the number of times he had trouble...

With my second child...I NEVER GOT IT STARTED IN THE FIRST PLACE...LOL !!!!

Old 01-13-2011, 11:58 AM

I found it so much worse when ds was nursing to lie with him while he would fall asleep, because I had to be lying in one position nursing him.  Now that he isn't nursing at least I can move around and get comfortable.  Dh and I use it as a time to lie quietly or fall asleep ourselves. 

caffix.gif

Old 01-13-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post

It occurs to me something that helped our kids when they "couldn't sleep".  We told them, "You don't have to sleep.  All you have to do is lay there with your eyes closed and your body still and your body will do the rest."  I guess they both felt like there was something they had to *do* to fall asleep.

this is great advice. Has anyone ever tried Children's Guided Meditation? I don't have any little ones but I'm the type that has a hard time falling asleep at night ever since i was a little kid. Its not until I think " Okay, I WILL fall asleep eventually. So Just close my eyes and breathe deep." I didn't figure this out until recently. lol. 

But what also works EVERY TIME is listening to a soothing guided meditation or hypnosis. If I'm laying in bed and listening to something that's guiding me to that dream state i zonk out, Im sure it would work wonders for a child that cant get to sleep at night. I have this awesome Brainwaves Journey for kids and its so magical and soothing, and its very positive. 

I believe in AP & living life with the awareness that we are all here creating our own reality which is shaped by our attitudes and beliefs.
Life CAN be magical.We just have to create it that way.
dust.gif

goorganic.jpggd.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFbfinfant.gif
Old 01-13-2011, 03:12 PM

DS has always liked someone to be with him as he falls asleep.  He's 6 now, and finally has his own bed in his room, and is doing really well.  One of the last 4 nights, he slept all alone (except for actually getting to sleep)!  That's pretty good, but he was also really excited (and nervous) about having his OWN bed.  :)

Anyway, for getting-to-sleep purposes, I've always left a low light on and I read.  I've also used the same very simple song since he was 2, and I can modify it even while reading and not concentrating on the song because I've sung it for so long. 

I think the very worst times for getting to sleep was when he was coming up on 2 and just beyond, and was getting ready to be done with diapers, but I didn't realize it yet.  He'd wake and squirm, I'd nurse him to sleep thinking that is what was needed, then just as I got back into deep sleep, he'd flood his diaper.  Then that would take an hour to get back to sleep.  Once I realized that he just needed to pee, I got the little potty out, set him on that when he'd squirm, he'd pee, I'd pull the dipe back up, and he would go right back to sleep.  Sleep problems, before I figured this out, went all night because I was mis-reading him so much.

But other than that period of time, reading as he dozes off, even when it took a good while, has been just fine.  And soon enough he'll be going to bed by himself, I'm confident of it.  And I'll be sad then, so I'll be happy now.  :)

Old 01-13-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaRaiMelting View Post

this is great advice. Has anyone ever tried Children's Guided Meditation?

I have a kid meditation CD and a couple iTunes tracks that I was hoping DS would use as he has some anxiety/poerfection issues, but he flatly refuses to listen to them.  DD doesn't really need them, so I haven't offered them to her.  She likes a couple of the anger management ones, but not the relaxation ones.  Excellent idea, though.

User Tag List