Now that we've weaned at 20 mo old, can't get DS to fall asleep for naps or bedtime - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-07-2011, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I used to be able to rely on nursing DS to sleep, though many times the past few months, he would pop right up and I couldn't get him to fall asleep quickly. I would have to lay with him for up to 2 hours until he finally fell asleep. But, in general, it was reliable.

DH is able to just lay his hand on DS' chest (he cries for about a minute) and within 10-15 minutes, he falls asleep. I've heard it's common for dads to have this affect. Not sure if LOs are just used to their moms typically being around more and so they feel they can get away with more, but it's perplexing. I'm a SAHM too.

The issue is that I just weaned DS and am having a terrible time trying to get him down for his daily nap. DH is able to help with getting DS to sleep at night, but I'm on my own during the day.

Because of a few morning toddler activities/errand running, we do have some variation in the schedule a few times a week, but it's generally over lunch time that he naps, if he does.

Yesterday, after 90 min if laying in bed with him, I gave up on his nap because it was just getting too late. Ditto for today. Just got up from laying in bed with DS for 90 min and he just wouldn't fall asleep. He rubbed his eyes a few times, but he kept playing in bed. I tried to cuddle him too, but he just played with the bed rail, etc.

I'm beginning to think that co-sleeping may not have been such a great idea at this point since he is not able to fall asleep independently.

DH thinks we should put him in the unused crib that has been gathering dust in our room and let him CIO, with me staying in the room until he gets used to it, and getting him to transition to it. I triedputting him in the crib a couple of months ago, and he just got so hysterical.

We don't have any sleep routine because DS just wants to do his own thing. If we try to get him to sit for a book, he wants to play with some other toy. He also gets too excited with bathtime and it wouldn't calm him down.

And, he still seems to need that nap. When he does fall asleep, he'll nap for 90 min to 2 hours. And, that is the only time I can get anything done at home, including prepping for dinner time.

Any tips that have worked for you for me to help get him to sleep would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2011, 08:43 PM

I'm in the same position, except my daughter is 18 months. I don't know what to do either. We decided to set up a mattress on the floor in her unused bedroom, start naps off in there and then get her used to sleeping in there at night. That's the extent of our plan though.

A tired mommy to DD (7/09) and loving wife to DH (08/06)
Old 01-10-2011, 02:35 PM

Maybe you're napping too early?  I'm not sure, but I'm anxious to hear more responses....

Old 01-10-2011, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Glad I'm not alone.

I've just resigned myself that for now he needs me there to help him fall asleep - although lying there while he talks & plays drives me batty some nights!

I'm still in the process of weaning & am scared of taking away the naptime one.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

User Tag List