So is co-sleeping always considered dangerous if not breastfeeding? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-08-2011, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are still working through our breastfeeding struggles and the twins are probably receiving 90% or more of their milk through supplementing.  It is a problem... and we are working on it, very very hard.

I have always breastfed and co-slept with my other babies.  I had never heard of it being dangerous to co-sleep with a bottle fed baby until recently and now I have gotten paranoid about it.  I wake fully and sit to bottle feed the boys, so there is no propped bottle type of situation going on or anything.  Also the boys are physically on me I would say at least 80% of the time.  Can I not still be "in tune" with them even though I am bottle feeding for right now?

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
#2 of 7 Old 01-08-2011, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I have never heard of it being dangerous to co-sleep with  a bottle fed baby. I think you are in tune with them because your bodies are in close proximity and you temps, heart beats, sleep wake cycles synchronise because of that not because of breastfeeding specifically.

None of the safe co-sleeping guidelines that I've read ever mention BF either, except to say that it may help to increase the success of BFing, or say that bottle feeding is a contraindication to co-sleeping.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 7 Old 01-08-2011, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What Kate said. lol.gif

When my son was bottlefed, he co-slept with me sometimes (he was not a big fan, usually) and there was no problem at all. smile.gif Which reminds me-I have a bunch of milk. Do you still need it or have you worked out your supply?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#4 of 7 Old 01-08-2011, 11:07 PM

I think in James McKenna's sleep labs he *did* find a difference in the way bottlefed babies and moms reacted to each other during sleep. I'm sure a Google search would help.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#5 of 7 Old 01-09-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisheva View Post

I think in James McKenna's sleep labs he *did* find a difference in the way bottlefed babies and moms reacted to each other during sleep. I'm sure a Google search would help.

This is true-- here's a link to some of McKenna's research and publications.

That doesn't mean you can't safely co-sleep if your babies get supplemental feedings-- just be smart about it! Make sure you have a firm mattress, limited pillows/blankets/other stuff in the bed, only sleep with baby when you and your DP are 100% sober and unmedicated, limit older siblings in bed with babies, don't ever smoke around baby (exposure to cigarette smoke is a huge factor in SIDS), and don't sleep with baby on a sofa/recliner/other soft surface. 

I work with Safe Sleep and SIDS/SUDI Prevention Educators in a public heath agency (not that this makes me an expert, or anything, but I've been to a ton of trainings and spend a lot of time with the experts). While they privately agree that ecologically breastfeeding (no supplements, pacifiers, on demand nursing) dyads are the very safest co-sleepers, carefully planned, safe bed-sharing is entirely possible in other situations.

OP, I think your situation is fine! Hang in there :)

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north
#6 of 7 Old 01-09-2011, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

This was the article I first saw the information about no co-sleeping while bottle feeding  http://www.drmomma.org/2009/08/sids-enfamil-restfull-formula-yes.html 

Thank you all for your input it is helping me feel a little more safe about it.thumb.gif

KittyWitty, hug.gif your wonderful.  I am sending you a PM.

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
#7 of 7 Old 01-10-2011, 07:22 AM

We have coslept with our adopted bottle-fed preemie since about 2 weeks after we brought him home from the hospital (he is now 13 months).  We did it safely, (no heavy blankets, minimal pillows etc etc )we always wake up and sit up to feed him.  Myself an DH always felt very in tune with our son and generally wake up just before he does to eat.  Now at 13 months, he sleeps practically glued to my side.....which is sweet-for about an hour redface.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page