Makeshift "barrier" help? Cosleeping with baby and 5-year-old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-12-2011, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Okay, so I will be cosleeping with my 5-year-old DS and the new baby who will be here in about a month and a half. I have a queen size bed that's up against the wall in the corner. I've been told to have DS sleep on the inside... but I worry about baby falling off if s/he is on the outside. Plus, as terrible as this sounds, I would rather DS be on the outside. He sleeps in the craziest positions and if he's on the inside, he'll just push me until I'm squished in the middle trying not to knock baby off.... at least if he's on the outside he'll fall off which, yes that sounds terrible, but he does that regularly right now as it is. He just grumbles and climbs back on the bed...or just falls asleep on the floor. lol.gif

So.... I've been told that baby should sleep on the outside and I should make some kind of barrier on the edge of the bed (strip of foam thing made for that) so baby can't roll off. But, if I could do that, couldn't I do it on the inside? That way there's no risk of baby falling between any space between bed and the wall? 

On that note, wherever I put the barrier... what on earth do I USE? I have NO money to buy anything special. But I don't know what to do. And I think I've heard to use rolled up towels or something before but, uh, wouldn't that just be recipe for suffocation?

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#2 of 4 Old 01-12-2011, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

what is your budget?  we have this: http://www.humanityorganics.com/humanity-family-sleeper.html

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#3 of 4 Old 01-12-2011, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My budget is like... maybe making something myself or getting it from a thrift store (if I find it which I doubt I will, haven't yet at least)... but, yeah, that's about it. I don't have a job, baby's "father" hasn't given me a dime in several months and I'm living with my parents (hence the three of us in one room, heh). 

That actually looks like a really good idea if I could just figure out how to make it. Getting a sheet to use is no problem, we have tons and I can just make my sister sew it so it leaves room for the insert. orngtongue.gif The question is... what could I use as an insert like that? Do you think a craft store might have something? I suppose I could probably just use any kind of foam if I could find something big enough... but would there be any hazaard with it, even if it's totally covered?

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#4 of 4 Old 01-12-2011, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yeah, that definitely looks like something you could make. I used a Snuggle Nest, and removed the sleep positioner. Basically looks like this:

http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Close-Secure-Sleeper-Creme/dp/B0010P0J9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294883601&sr=8-1

They might have recalled the Snuggle Nest because of the sleep positioner, but it was removable.

But definitely not budget friendly. Maybe you could find one used? It worked great until she was big enough to sleep in the bed with us. She was so small, I worried about DH rolling over, or flipping the covers over her.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page