Practical Ideas / Help / Advice for getting baby to sleep at night and being comfy in bed...? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 01-17-2011, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD is 7 weeks now and she has some food allergies and I am pretty sure some reflux that is hurting her. She has never slept deeply like babies are apparently supposed to except when she is in her swing. She is starting to get better since I got rid of dairy and soy in my diet, but it is still frustrating.

My DH just started a new job and he is getting up at 4:30am every day. In order to let him get some sleep, I am staying up late with the baby so he at least can get 3-4 hours of sleep from 9pm-12am or 1am. The baby fusses from 9pm-11pm every night it seems and then sleeps from 11pm-4:30am (but....not tonight lol.) She wiggles, grunts and flails about quite a bit sometimes, though and wakes us up (or at least me.) Then at 4:30am, she wiggles around and makes noise until I wake up and sit her up. Then she poops and eats a bit.

Then she kind of falls asleep until 7:30 (noisy and wiggly) and then wakes up again to eat and poops again. Then she stays up for an hour until I can get her to sleep again and we usually stay in bed until 9:30 when she usually wants to eat again and yes, poop again.

I need ideas for making the fussy hours more bearable. We have a room in our house that keeps her crying away from the master bedroom and I was thinking of using her unused crib /toddler mattress on the floor in there so we can lay on it together. I plan on letting her use this mattress as a toddler and I eventually want to take naps on it with her to get her used to her bed for the (far away) future. Will I ruin the mattress if I am on it with her? It sounds silly, but I am afraid my adult weight could damage it somehow. It shouldn't though, right?

Anyway, I was thinking I could set up the room with a changing station, blankets, a rocking chair and maybe that mattress on the floor for us. I wish I had a twin mattress but I do not. 

Also, what do you wear at night? There is a probably a thread here somewhere. Our heating bill was terrible last month because I have the heat very high because I freeze every single night. I want the sheets below the babies chest so they are below mine, too. I dress us lightly but I am thinking of putting her in a warm sleep blanket outfit or something and leaving her outside the sheets somehow... I just don't know.

I just nursed her to sleep at 11pm and I am sitting next to her and now she just woke up again at 11:45 ;( She was wiggling, grunting, sneezing and her eyes were wide open so I nursed her again but she is wide awake. She just threw up and swallowed it, too. ;(

I think sleep deprivation is just part of being a new mom and I definitely think I would be a lot more tired if she slept on her own... but... Mama is tired!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page