My bed is going to get ruined at this rate - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-18-2011, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi!  We've been bedsharing with our 6 week old but I have this problem that I keep leaking all night.  At first I'd put my bra back up so the breastpad would catch it but DS gets irritated in the time it takes me to get his 'boobie' back out (and I'm soaking through the most absorbent breastpads I can find!).  I normally try to lay on a prefold but I've been soaking straight through those too.  We have a *little* waterproof mat thing under our fitted sheet but it keeps getting wrinkled and moved around in there.  Is there a full mattress cover I could get for a thick queen mattress that won't be a crinkly plastic thing?

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#2 of 9 Old 01-18-2011, 10:44 AM

We have one of these-- we bought it with our mattress (which is why I don't remember it being so rediculously expensive). We were told that we had to buy one to keep our warranty? Anyways, we are super happy with it-- after 15 mos of milk on that bed in various stages of digestion (fresh, puke, pee, poop) that mattress doesn't have a single stain on it. I really feel like it makes a huge difference in keeping the bed clean. And it's not wrinkly or plasticy at all-- completely breathable. 

goinggreengirl likes this.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#3 of 9 Old 01-20-2011, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had the same problems with leaking (day and night).  We used a wool mattress pad that works great (protecting our expensive non-toxic mattress).  I did use prefolds with those and also tried overnight washable nursing pads but would leak through even when I used 3 on each side.  I didn't want to use disposable nursing pads, but I eventually did and they worked better (day or night).  I had a sleep bra I used early on that was a little too big for me, which helped keep the pads in place (to help prevent leaking) and easy access when my little guy started to wake to nurse.  my only other suggestion is if you get a wool mattress pad, be sure to get 2, I am always waiting for ours to dry on the line before I can make up our bed again.  and remember, the leaking will get better... I didn't believe it when people told me that, but it does.  I still use prefolds at night, one underneath while my ds nurses and another on my other breast to catch leakage.  

Ema to my dear son (inseminated at home with frozen donor sperm) born on 6/25/10. h20homebirth.gifnocirc.gif selectivevax.gif familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF bftoddler.gif cd.gifWife to my dear partner.  rainbow1284.gif goorganic.jpg  hang.gif  sewmachine.gif   blogging.jpg.

#4 of 9 Old 01-20-2011, 11:06 AM

Or you could try sleeping on a large folded towel (or two), but I don't know whether that would be enough for you. And I agree with PP - it should get better as your milk supply regulates itself. Although, having said that, I only stopped needing breast pads during the day a couple of months ago and my daughter is 17 months! :)  But I stopped leaking during the night long before then. I guess the nice thing is that we don't have to worry about low milk supply :)

#5 of 9 Old 01-20-2011, 07:39 PM

I have a waterproof pad that must be made for a single bed, I got it at a thrift store I think.  It's the same as the little changing pads but bigger, about 3 ft by 4 ft and was handy during bfing as it didn't wrinkle as much as the little ones and I only had to adjust it every few days, and now it's on the bed to catch accidents (which thankfully we don't really have, but makes me feel better with the memory foam mattress!), now that dd is older.  It was a great find in my book, and probably under $20 at target or somewhere.

Christian mama to one dear girl, and wife to a Jesus - loving husband smile.gif  

#6 of 9 Old 02-01-2011, 07:33 AM

I just wanted to post again about our wool mattress pad.  our DS had a tummy bug and vomited several times in our bed last week and the wool mattress pad didn't let a bit leak through to the mattress. 

best

Ema to my dear son (inseminated at home with frozen donor sperm) born on 6/25/10. h20homebirth.gifnocirc.gif selectivevax.gif familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF bftoddler.gif cd.gifWife to my dear partner.  rainbow1284.gif goorganic.jpg  hang.gif  sewmachine.gif   blogging.jpg.

#7 of 9 Old 02-01-2011, 07:51 AM

If you go to the hardware store and get the thinnest painting drop cloth plastic they have, it's really thin, like thinner and softer than a garbage bag, and it's not crinkly at all. I feels kind of like another bedsheet under the regular sheet and doesn't make weird noises when you move around.

#8 of 9 Old 02-01-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynsage View Post

If you go to the hardware store and get the thinnest painting drop cloth plastic they have, it's really thin, like thinner and softer than a garbage bag, and it's not crinkly at all. I feels kind of like another bedsheet under the regular sheet and doesn't make weird noises when you move around.

I never would have thought of that!!  Thank you.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#9 of 9 Old 02-02-2011, 10:45 AM

My friend bought a cheap shower curtain. I might actually think about getting one to put under mattress pad b/c both my son and I have leaks of some kind all the time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page