7 months old and just started sleeping in car seat...... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-07-2011, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

..... is this bad?

Since about 2 weeks ago she was sleeping in the bed with me all night and had been since birth. However, she has always woken up every couple hours, often every hour. Recently, she has seemed increasingly restless in bed, constantly staying attached to the boob, and immediately waking and becoming upset every time I try and move away (due to my back killing me!). A couple weeks ago she became incredibly congested and had a 24-hour throwing-up-bug going on. My husband suggested I have her sleep in the car seat that night since she was so congested. I decided to go with it and she slept for five hours straight! This has never happened before, not even close. Since this night I have been putting her to sleep each night in the car seat after nursing her. She goes right to sleep (as opposed to before where I would nurse her to sleep lying next to her and it would take a long time), and typically stays asleep for two to three hours. Once I go to bed and she wakes up (car seat is next to the bed), I then bring her into the bed with me. However, I have been putting her back into the car seat again sometimes because she is so restless. Once she's back in there she goes right to sleep.

My main concern is whether the car seat could possibly be causing some sort of harm, like effecting her back in some way? My next concern is what am I going to do next?! I know this can't last much longer. I once tried having her sleep in her pack and play, but that was a disaster. She sleeps wonderfully in one at day care, but not at home. I have a mini co-sleeper that was never used and she has definitely outgrown it.

Anyway, any opinions? Does anyone have a similar experience?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 10:48 AM

Let me just say, I understand how it feels to be desperate for them to sleep anyway they can, so you can sleep.  I am having my own issues with a 10 month old.

Is is possible that she has silent reflux?  Maybe that is why she is more able to sleep in a semi-upright position.  The only thing I have heard about them sleeping in their car seats is that their heads can fall to the side or front and block their airways. 

Hope you get it all figured out!

Old 02-09-2011, 12:42 PM

Jeez,  had never heard that about blocking airways from sleeping in a carseat.  I hope that's not true.  I feel like it can't be since so many kids sleep in the car, kwim?  I'd call the ped and ask what they think.  

My older son slept in a swing a lot, I usually had him in bed with me from 10 to about 5 am and then he'd sleep in the swing next to the bed until 10 am.  I think he did that until around a year.

I was thinking reflux, too.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:18 PM

Sideways head tipping isn't a concern for airway safety, but forward head slumping can be )which is why we tilt the head back for CPR breathing). Still, by the time a baby can hold its head up well, neck muscles are typically strong enough to keep the airway open even under non-optimal positioning.

That said, making sure that baby is reclined enough in the carseat so that the chin does not touch the chest is still best, and you might consider a less severe tilt, such as a side-carred crib with the head end elevated on small blocks, in addition to exploring reflux possibilities.

Jenifer & Tim
Caitlin Renee, September 2, 2010
Old 02-09-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenifera2 View Post

Sideways head tipping isn't a concern for airway safety, but forward head slumping can be )which is why we tilt the head back for CPR breathing). Still, by the time a baby can hold its head up well, neck muscles are typically strong enough to keep the airway open even under non-optimal positioning.

Thanks for clarifying this :-)

User Tag List