What is your family bed set-up, and where does your dc nap? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-27-2011, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ds is now almost 6 months so I can't leave him on our bed for naps anymore b/c he's rolling.  He sleeps in the pack n play for naps, but he's well above the weight limit for the bassinet (even though we're still using it that way).  We have a free crib someone gave us, but I'd like to hear what other people do for the family bed and for napping before getting the crib down from the attic and setting it up.  Should we move our bed to the floor?  How do you deal with dust if your bed is on the floor?  I feel like it is not sanitary or something.  Do you have a frame around the bed?  Or blankets under the mattress on the floor?  Tell me your set up and why it works.

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

#2 of 13 Old 03-27-2011, 09:59 PM

When DS was that age he napped on the bed. When he started rolling we set up bedrails on the framed family bed so he didn't roll off. Now that he is older he sleeps with me on a seperate bed that is on the floor with no bedrails. He has never rolled off, but I know that if he did now he would not get hurt, just very startled.
#3 of 13 Old 03-28-2011, 03:43 AM

My son is 6 months old and rolling, and he naps alone in our bed. We have a Snug Tuck Pillow on his side, and I put my head pillows on my side when I'm not lying there.

I'm not too worried about him rolling off the bed, but I am worried about when he starts crawling and would love to hear other answers.

I'm not too keen to put my mattress on the floor either.

first-time mama to a babyf.gif born 9/2010
#4 of 13 Old 03-28-2011, 11:46 AM

My baby is 4 months and is rolling. She naps in my arms or in the car seat (still!), and we have been trying to transition her to the crib for bedtime, and I've been trying to get her to nap in the moby during the day because she will sit right up and fall out of the bucket seat now (she is huge).

We have one bedroom for our 4-person family. Baby and I sleep in a full bed (on the floor), dad and toddler sleep in the queen (also on the floor). The crib is also in there. 

I have no idea what you mean about dust. The beds are on the floor, I just vacuum the carpet between them and wash the sheets/blankets once a week. Nothing is ever really dusty because everything is used a lot.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#5 of 13 Old 03-28-2011, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post

I have no idea what you mean about dust. The beds are on the floor, I just vacuum the carpet between them and wash the sheets/blankets once a week. Nothing is ever really dusty because everything is used a lot.

We don't have carpets in the bedroom- just hardwood floor.  And it is OLD flooring that feels like it can never get really clean.  There is ALWAYS tons of dust under our bed...even when we're pretty good about keeping the floors clean in there.

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

#6 of 13 Old 03-29-2011, 12:25 AM

I'm going to follow this thread too, as our set-up is very similar to yours. He sleeps in his pack-n-play, in the bassinet part or he sleeps in our bed. Our current plan is to put pillows next to him, to buffer him if he rolls. We keep talking about how we should use that crib we have set up in his room one day....whistling.gif

surf.gif West Coast Momma to Seb since 10/10, venturing into SAHMing, bfinfant.gif,slingboy.gif. I make good blueberry muffins ROTFLMAO.gif
#7 of 13 Old 03-29-2011, 01:39 PM

We have bedshared since birth and DD is now 15 months old. She now naps in the bed on her own (if she'll let me leave, which doesn't actually happen often so I nap with her most times ;) ). We started teaching her how to get off the bed safely as soon as she started pulling herself on furniture. She has no problem getting down off the bed and we just have to keep the room baby proofed. When she was just rolling and not crawling, we rolled up a heavy blanket and put it under our sheets so she wouldn't roll off. The "scariest" time was when she was crawling but not yet able to get down off the bed...that's when we tried the crib but she wasn't terribly happy with it. We got the crib when she was about 6 months old but she has never really napped in it more than a handful of times. I think we're going to convert it to a toddler bed soon. Also, our bed is a platform bed though so it's really low to the ground...even if she did fall off I doubt she's get hurt at all. Also, depending on where the bedroom is, it's a good idea to make sure any areas she may have access to once out of bed are babyproofed. We are thinking we should get a gate across the bedroom door so we can still hear her but she can't get out to the stairs.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#8 of 13 Old 03-30-2011, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmen358 View Post

We started teaching her how to get off the bed safely as soon as she started pulling herself on furniture. She has no problem getting down off the bed and we just have to keep the room baby proofed.

How do you teach that skill? That's what I want to do with my son, but I have no idea how to start!

first-time mama to a babyf.gif born 9/2010
#9 of 13 Old 03-30-2011, 02:03 AM

During the day DS naps in the crib in the open space kitchen/living room because its so much easier to tell when he wakes up. Our shared bed is on the floor with an old sleeping bag beside the mattress in case he rolls off during the night (its happened a couple of times and doesn't phase him at all). We have hardwood floors too, but while it may be a little dusty under the bedframe, I don't actually consider it dirty. Anyway, we're sleeping on top of the mattress, not under. :)

Now that he's pulling himself up to standing in the Ikea crib, we'll be dropping the mattress to the lower level and taking the side off. The beanbag will get pushed in front when he's sleeping so he can't fall out.

Happily married, with DS 08.2010
#10 of 13 Old 03-30-2011, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Bean View Post

How do you teach that skill? That's what I want to do with my son, but I have no idea how to start!

DH also taught DS to do this after DS took one too many head first tumbles off the bed. I was skeptical that he would be able to teach DS to get down off the bed so young. After a week he was a pro, though. DH basically guided DS's body the first few times. Then DS started to do it himself. The thing he struggled with the most was turning his body to the right angle to slide down off the side of the bed on his belly. DH would let him try and after a bit he would help DS to turn his body the right way. DS could do it, but he would overthink it and become confused. All in all, I think this is one of the best things he's learned so far.  At least it helps to keep my heart in my chest a little more. LOL I later taught DS to climb onto the bed. So now he can get on and off the bed by himself. He actually wakes from nap, gets out of bed, walks to the door and opens it (we leave it cracked).

OP, DS sleeps on the bed, but I do put a pillow next to him so that he doesn't roll off in his sleep and so far it has worked.  Before he could get down off the bed himself, I would usually hear him (we have a small home) and get to him before he came anywhere near falling off the bed. Usually.

#11 of 13 Old 03-30-2011, 08:08 AM

Our son (17m) naps in his crib but sleeps in our bed. At his school, he has a little mat that he sleeps on- looking back, I wish we had skipped the crib and just had a little mattress or mat in his room. This way he could choose to go be in bed if he wished, and when he wakes up he could just get up and find me and not have to cry to let me know he is awake.

He has rolled out of our bed a couple of times but it's not very high (20 in) and he was startled but not hurt. Both times he was sick and kind of flailing around the bed.

#12 of 13 Old 03-30-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Bean View Post

I would turn her around (away from the edge lay her down on her stomach and tell her "feet first, wiggle wiggle wiggle" and gently shimmy her on her stomach feet first off the bed to standing. I tried to do it every morning and it didn't take her long! The hardest part for her was, as PP said, getting her to turn around the right way. She would get on her stomach and start pushing herself backwards but be heading towards the center of the bed lol so cute.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#13 of 13 Old 03-31-2011, 01:53 PM

Ds sleeps in a pack n play for naps, in the bottom part and in a twin bed against our bed for night time (beds on box spring but without frame).  My first ds would never sleep in the pack n play and only slept in bed or on the futon mattress next to our bed (really just an extension of our bed set up). He would never sleep anywhere else and it was an issue when I went back to work when he was 18 months old. So I always wanted ds 2 to be able to sleep in a pack n play or crib type thing if necessary.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page