different behavior at bedtime depending on which parent does the "routine" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-18-2011, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay, so this is the deal.  

I put my little guy (1 y/o this week) down for naps 1-2 times a day most days.  My DW puts him down for naps about 3 times a week and does the last bit of the bedtime routine (after he nurses (I'm the milkie mama), she takes him and puts him in his crib).

So, the issue is.  When DW puts him down, he'll quietly settle into sleep while she stands next to him (in the crib).  No tears/no yelling.  

When I put him down and leave the room he WAILS for 2-5 minutes NO MATTER WHAT...and then falls asleep.  He will not fall asleep if I stay in the room (AT ALL) and if I do stay in the room he wails for a really LONG time because my presences keeps him from sleeping or if he's not totally exhausted he just keeps trying to play with me.  

Now, all in all, the bedtime/nap routine works--he sleeps and I don't "think" the 2-5 minutes of crying is cry it out--but rather some necessary settling for him.  I hate it, but nothing I do to comfort him does anything but prolong the anguish.

So, my question is--why will he fall asleep without crying when DW does the bed routine?!

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

User Tag List