Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

this is a great article! Thank you for sharing!thumb.gif

#4 of 25 Old 05-02-2011, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Thumbs up!

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#5 of 25 Old 05-02-2011, 12:00 PM

It sparked a good discussion on my FB.

Never doubt that a small group of committed, thoughtful people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
#6 of 25 Old 05-03-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syn_ack89 View Post

It sparked a good discussion on my FB.

I thought about posting this on my FB too but I was afraid my non-cosleeping friends would see it as a personal attack - how did you get around that? 

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

#7 of 25 Old 05-03-2011, 08:54 AM

great read!

homeschooling mom to coco (9/2006)

baby house to a new little (1/2015)
treehugger.gif nocirc.gif familybed1.gif cat.gif

#8 of 25 Old 05-03-2011, 09:08 AM

Thank you!

#9 of 25 Old 05-03-2011, 09:12 AM

love it - thanks for sharing!

#10 of 25 Old 05-03-2011, 09:40 AM

fantastic! thanks for sharing it!

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#11 of 25 Old 05-03-2011, 09:45 AM

LittleBirdy- I think just posting on not saying anything probably won't get you in much trouble, but personally I never worry about things like that and all my facebook friends are used to my opinionated posts!

This was a great article. 5 seems a little much for me, personally, but my first two always slept together after I weaned them from my bed around 2 and 3 years and seemed to love that (they are 8.5 and almost 10 now and still love to sleep together). I plan on doing the same with my new baby- we might have one more soon, in which case they will sleep together, or she will sleep with her big sisters for a couple of years.

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#12 of 25 Old 05-03-2011, 09:49 AM

thumb.gif  thanks for sharing! 

happily married mama to DD1 4/08, angel2.gif angel2.gif12/31/09, and DD2 5/11

#13 of 25 Old 05-03-2011, 11:44 AM

Great!  I'll have to tuck this away for when MIL comes to visit later this month.  I'm hoping there won't be any comments about my almost 1-yr old co-sleeping, but just in case....

I have two older boys (9 and 6) who co-slept as infants, then moved to cribs/beds later, but I can't remember when exactly I moved them.  My 1 year old is my last baby, though, so I'm trying to do everything "right" (ha!) since I know she's going to be a teenager before I know it and definitely won't be co-sleeping with us then. 

#14 of 25 Old 05-03-2011, 12:16 PM

We lived in Japan until 2 weeks ago, and it definitely was the norm to cosleep with children there  :)

My mum is horrified that I'd like to sleep with my baby at all, let alone when he can walk and talk!

#15 of 25 Old 05-03-2011, 12:45 PM

Her book,the Science of Parenting was excellent, easy to read, the layout is similar to a text book, and it is the main reason i never let dd cry it out. It played a major role in my sleeping with my baby. I don't remember her saying in her book that you should cosleep until 5.

DH, and Me plus baby girl (10/07)
#16 of 25 Old 05-03-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobaby View Post

We lived in Japan until 2 weeks ago, and it definitely was the norm to cosleep with children there  :)

My mum is horrified that I'd like to sleep with my baby at all, let alone when he can walk and talk!

It's the same in Korea where we lived until recently. There just isn't the room a lot of times for the kids to sleep separately from the parents.

I see both sides. On one hand, I do think it probably is better for the children but on the other hand, my husband and I sleep in separate rooms because I am not able to sleep with the kids. I am a horrible sleeper and need to have my own space in order to sleep so my husband sleeps in the bedroom with our two kids and I sleep in a twin bed in one of the other bedrooms. Kind of sucks but that's how it is at this point. My older daughter is 5 and I do wish she would sleep in her own room but she does not want to sleep alone at all. I'm hoping that when the baby is a little older we can put them both in one room together but it's hard to tell if that will work or not.

#17 of 25 Old 05-04-2011, 07:08 AM

We've coslept for the past 5+ years.  I wouldn't change it for anything!  I know I sleep better with my child next to me!  And I know he sleeps better too!  Only once did he decide he wanted to sleep in his own bed.  He went to sleep there for 45 minutes and then came in to our room.  At whatever point he decides to transition to his own room will be on his terms.  There are still many that are shocked by the cosleeping but I've learned to brush it off. 

Thanks for posting! 

#18 of 25 Old 05-04-2011, 01:03 PM

Just shared on FB. I think most family thinks dh and I are weird anyway and friends.....well maybe it will spark a discussion.

#19 of 25 Old 05-05-2011, 11:45 AM

The author says that there is a rise in cortisol when children attend a nursery, then it drops when they return home. Do you think the same would be true for a 3 1/2 year old attending preschool? I hope not. Mine is scheduled to start this fall.

#20 of 25 Old 05-05-2011, 12:52 PM

I co-slept with DS1 until he was 10 or so.  It was great and we both loved it.  His father (my ex) would not allow us to sleep together, even when he was teeny, and it caused major problems in our marriage.  I did learn to not tell people we still slept together when he was older because people thought horrible things.  It was pretty wonderful for us, though, and helped us both deal with the divorce.  I co-sleep with DS2 (13 months) and my new husband and it is lovely.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#21 of 25 Old 05-05-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreysan View Post

The author says that there is a rise in cortisol when children attend a nursery, then it drops when they return home. Do you think the same would be true for a 3 1/2 year old attending preschool? I hope not. Mine is scheduled to start this fall.

Hey mama, the author of the article wrote a book called The Science of Parenting.  All or part of it (not sure) is available on Google Books.  I was reading a little bit of it the other day and I know I'm not explaining it well but I believe she explained that whatever it is that makes them so stressed to leave mama when they are babies gradually fades as they age.  So I don't think a 3.5 year old would have quite the same response as an infant.

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

#22 of 25 Old 05-06-2011, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I have been trying to post, sorry for the delay. I am reading The Science of Parenting and the author, Margot Sunderland, states that research shows (preschool attendance for age five and under) an increased cognitive performance. However it decreased emotional health and intelligence . I believe it is on page 54 of the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreysan View Post

#23 of 25 Old 05-09-2011, 05:29 AM

i posted this in another forum and a huge discussion arose saying that co-sleeping is just when the baby is in the room with you, not just in your bed  and then everyone was arguing if the lady in the article meant bed sharing or having them in a crib in the room.  iwas so confused cos i always assume they mean sleeping in the bed with me and thats what i refer to as co sleeping

thoughts?

homeschooling mom to coco (9/2006)

baby house to a new little (1/2015)
treehugger.gif nocirc.gif familybed1.gif cat.gif

#24 of 25 Old 05-09-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallymommy View Post

i posted this in another forum and a huge discussion arose saying that co-sleeping is just when the baby is in the room with you, not just in your bed  and then everyone was arguing if the lady in the article meant bed sharing or having them in a crib in the room.  iwas so confused cos i always assume they mean sleeping in the bed with me and thats what i refer to as co sleeping

thoughts?

Toward the end, there's this:

"Sunderland argues that putting children to sleep alone is a peculiarly western phenomenon that may increase the chance of cot death, also known as sudden infant death syndrome (Sids). This may be because the child misses the calming effect on breathing and heart function of lying next to its mother."

That's clearly in the same bed.  Maybe cosleeping in general as a term could technically cover sleeping in the same room but not the same bed - but I think at least for infants the studies are referring to sleeping in closer proximity.

lover of K partners.gif mom to S superhero.gifb.12/07  and C joy.gifb.6/11

#25 of 25 Old 05-09-2011, 11:30 AM

Thanks so much!

Mom to two terrific kiddos, affirming every day that the Universe is unfolding as it should and all is well...

Tags
Cosleeping , Co Sleepers , Family Bed , Family Sleeping Configurations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page