When did you move your lo to his/her own bed? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: When did you move your lo to his/her own bed in their own room?
we still primarily co-sleep/sleep share 5 22.73%
around a year to a bed 2 9.09%
around two years to a bed 6 27.27%
around three years to a bed 3 13.64%
around a year to a crib 0 0%
around two years to a crib 0 0%
around three years to a crib 0 0%
later than that 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-07-2011, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am curious when you moved your lo to his/her own bed in their own room.

We co-sleep part-time (usually early mornings our ds (12 months) ends up in bed with us), but he really does best in his own room.  Right now he has a mini-crib, but we are thinking about giving him our bed to sleep on, on the floor, when we get a new one late summertime.  Are we nuts to put a 15 month old in a regular bed?

We'd like to put him in a regular bed for a few main reasons.  First, he sleeps great on our bed even when we're not in it.  Second, we only have a mini-crib, and he's close to being too big for it, and I'm concerned about him climbing over the sides, which are lower than a regular crib.  Third, we don't have the money for a new bed for us and a bigger crib for him, but we really need a new bed for us because it's causing back problems for my dh.

What do you think?

#2 of 10 Old 05-09-2011, 07:11 PM

I voted 2 years, but I moved both of mine around 17 or 18 months.  I don't think it's crazy to try at 15 months.  With dd she had a full mattress on the floor in the adjacent bedroom so I could lie with her at bedtime and in the night as needed.  With ds, we un-side-carred the crib and kept him in our room in the crib.  For some time after that they would wind up in our bed at least for the last few hours in the morning.  I love the mattress on the floor -- it gives the child more independence, and helps them learn to lie down and go to sleep without being contained by a crib, and it is great to have enough to room to lie with them when you need/want to.

#3 of 10 Old 05-09-2011, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

oops.  I just voted- 3 years, but DD1 is almost 3 years and we moved her into her own bed, that is attached to ours in our room (really just a bigger King than we had...).  Didn't read the whole question.

So- LATER

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#4 of 10 Old 05-10-2011, 08:00 AM

DD moved to a full mattress on the floor of her own room at around 3 years old. She is 5 now and still climbs in with us at some point in the night--which is fine...she knows she's always welcome in our bed.

#5 of 10 Old 05-10-2011, 07:46 PM

our DD chose to move out of the family bed when she was 4.5 - we had recently set up a big girl room for her, but no pressure for her to go there ... she just wanted it.

DS has been starting in his own room since age 6 but at age 7 still ends up coming to our bed at some point during the night, which is completely fine if that's what he needs. I hear you on being cramped - we have a queen.

Amy & DH, homeschooling Mama to
DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   
#6 of 10 Old 05-11-2011, 05:07 PM

i think your plan sounds fine to me, especially since you say he already sleeps better in his own room anyway.  the bed will be on the floor, right, so no worries about him falling out...

i would have voted later but my dd decided just after she turned 3 that she wanted to sleep in her bed in her room.  (it was already set up, just unused)  i miss sleeping with her but i am so happy that it was never a difficult transition for her and since we are expecting another by the end of the month, it solves some of the worry of everybody waking each other all night :)

happily married mama to DD1 4/08, angel2.gif angel2.gif12/31/09, and DD2 5/11

#7 of 10 Old 05-11-2011, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback!

We would most certainly put the mattress on the floor, so it would only be a few inches, on to carpet, if he did fall off.

I also like the idea of being able to lie down with him to help him get to sleep, especially since he likes to fall asleep side-lying while nursing!

Em

#8 of 10 Old 05-11-2011, 11:35 PM

My DS 3.5 & DS 20 months are both still in our bed. I have LOVED co-sleeping but I'm ready for it to end now. We have some visitors coming in a few weeks, and after they go we will be transitioning them both (gently) to their own shared room. 

It has been decorated and set up for them for months but so far they have shown no interest. I have a twin bed for ODS and a toddler bed that was given to us for YDS.

To be honest, I am terrified- I think it's going to be tough. But I miss my DH and we have no alone time (ahem) together. Both kids are restless sleepers and I get kicked, pummelled and punched all night. I am beyond exhausted gloomy.gif

#9 of 10 Old 05-12-2011, 12:41 AM

Our son moved into his own room, at his request, when he was just over 2. He has always had a room with his toys and clothes but he slept on a single bed attached to our bed once I could no longer cope with him in our bed. We weren't expecting him to move out but we had a friend stay and she slept in DS's room which suddenly made him very proud and possessive of his space and demanded she move out and he move in. It's been brilliant. We're all sleeping the best we have since he was born and I love being able to chat and read and do other stuff in our bed at night time!

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#10 of 10 Old 05-12-2011, 12:58 AM

We moved DS to his own room in a toddler bed around 18 months, but he didn't spend a significant part of the night in there until after turning 2. I love co-sleeping, but he ends up nursing all night when he's in bed with me, even now. He transitioned to falling asleep on his own (with daddy sitting next to the bed) in his own bed very well, although there were tears (while being comforted in daddy's arms) for a few nights at first. It was really hard for me at first too, but I really needed that sleep and that break from him since I stay home and nap with him everyday. 

joy.giflurk.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page