I need to nurse to sleep - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-19-2011, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

About six months ago, we began transitioning DS from the family bed to a bed in his room. I nurse him to sleep in his bed, then leave once he's asleep, then 2-3 hours later, DS wakes up, and comes to my bed and nurses back to sleep.  This usually happened right about the time I was tucked in for bed, too, but not asleep yet.  

Here's what I've found:  I can't sleep until he comes in to my bed.  Sometimes I fall asleep in his bed with him, but still, if I don't nurse right before, I can't fall asleep.  Is this nuts?

Wife to DH (10/2004) ~ Mama to DS (1/2009) ~ belly.gif (11/2011)
#2 of 6 Old 05-19-2011, 08:09 AM

Nope!  I fall asleep in half the time if I am nursing DS than if he is already asleep when I come to bed.  I attribute it to either needing that prolactin release to get drowsy enough to sleep, or knowing that if I do fall asleep I'm just going to get woken back up in an hour or so.  For adults, our deepest sleep occurs in the first 3 hours after going to bed.  Being woken up during these three hours just feels way worse than being woken up later.  Ever since DS was born I'v noticed that as long as he sleeps halfway decent until 2 or 3 in the morning I don't feel so tired the next day.  So I think on a subconscious level I want to get that 3 hours uniterrupted, so my brain won't fall asleep until he wakes up.

Sleep associations: not just for babies! :)

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

#3 of 6 Old 05-19-2011, 09:16 AM

I'm the same way - nursing DS puts me to sleep. sleeping.gif

sleepytime.gif
#4 of 6 Old 05-22-2011, 07:41 PM

It it's nuts then I'm crazy too! We've been trying really hard to get DS to start the night in his crib, and the nights that we're successful ... I lay there reading until he comes to bed so that I can nurse us both down. winky.gif

me + DH + DS (10/2010)
Never be afraid to do what’s right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society’s punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way. - MLK

#5 of 6 Old 05-22-2011, 08:50 PM

My son is night weaned, and I can't seem to really settle into a good sleep until he wakes for the first time and comes into bed with me.  In fact, there have been nights that I'm ready to sleep, and I just go in and get him so I can go to sleep!  I'm glad I'm not the only one!!

#6 of 6 Old 05-22-2011, 10:09 PM

This happened to me after DS1 nightweaned, too! So frustrating be to lying there awake.... I think the no-cry sleep solution actually has a chapter about this.

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page