Help! can a 2 yr old put himself to sleep? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-20-2011, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am 6 mos pg and my goal is to get DS (2 yrs old) to fall asleep on his own by the time #2 comes around. Is this a realistic goal?

We made excellent progress from bedsharing>crib>big boy bed>rocking to sleep>laying in bed only in just 4 months. I currently still have to lay in bed with him and rub his back in order for him to fall asleep. We tried the past 2 nights to say good night and leave him in his room for 5 minutes at a time - BIG FAIL - and I can't bear to hear his desperate screams.

Please tell me there is another way. I need some real help on trying to get him to fall asleep on his own. Any advice is helpful. Thanks so much ladies...

#2 of 5 Old 05-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Banned

Yes, they can.

I'd try putting him bed but not rubbing his back.  So you are there, but not interacting with him.

#3 of 5 Old 05-22-2011, 05:23 PM

It depends on the child, in my experience. Neither of my boys was ready at 2 years old to put themselves to sleep. It happened at 3ish with one (didn't require back-rubbing anymore but still liked us to be near him) and hasn't really happened yet with my almost-4 year old. He wants to be right next to me when he goes to sleep. I'm okay with this.

Live and love with your whole being.
#4 of 5 Old 05-22-2011, 06:38 PM

I'm in the same exact situation, except my little one is 17 months. He wants me to lay down with him (which I don't mind), but then takes sometimes over an hour to fall asleep. Before, it only took about 20 minutes, which was perfect, but the hour plus is driving me crazy. Any ideas??

#5 of 5 Old 05-22-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBaby View Post

I am 6 mos pg and my goal is to get DS (2 yrs old) to fall asleep on his own by the time #2 comes around. Is this a realistic goal?

We made excellent progress from bedsharing>crib>big boy bed>rocking to sleep>laying in bed only in just 4 months. I currently still have to lay in bed with him and rub his back in order for him to fall asleep. We tried the past 2 nights to say good night and leave him in his room for 5 minutes at a time - BIG FAIL - and I can't bear to hear his desperate screams.

Can you stop rubbing his back and get him to lay still while you sit in a chair near his bed?  Thats what I did with my ds, and he now wants me to lay down with him for a few minutes, which I do most nights, and then I can get up and leave and I don't hear another peep.

themothership likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page