How to cosleep with toddler and new baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-26-2011, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We currenly cosleep with our 19 month old son and he (mostly) sleeps in a sidecarred crib.  We're expecting DS2 in four months and I just can't get my head around how we'll manage to get both to sleep and then have the space to actually get some sleep ourselves.  How do you welcome a new baby into a co-sleeping arrangement where space is at a premium?  We're in a queen bed and can only just fit a seperate basinette on the other side of the bed, but I'll have to get up to feed the baby and then put him back in bassinette.

And how do you get two to sleep when you're the one with all bedtime responsibilties?  DS now comfort nurses for about ten minutes, then some time later falls asleep snuggled up next to me, after which I gently move him into his own space if I need to.  If DH tries to do bedtime, there is lots of screaming and crying.  DH wants to make a change and be the one who puts to DS to bed but I can't imagine it would be a smooth transition.  DH also thinks that DS should be able to put himself to sleep but I think that's unlikely.  That said, we nightweaned about two months ago and it went really well, but I was still there to offer comfort and snuggles. 

Advice and experience appreciated!

There is no single effort more radical in its potential for saving the world earth.gif  treehugger.gif  earth.gif than a transformation in the way we raise our children. - Marianne Williamson  familybed1.gif  nocirc.gif  slinggirl.gif   bftoddler.gif
#2 of 2 Old 05-26-2011, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

There have been quite a few of these threads lately, so if you don't get tons of responses, look back a few weeks/ a month.

That said, we co-sleep and added DD2 almost 9 months ago.  At first, DD1 stayed between DH and I and we added DD2 on the other side of me.  DD1&2 both nurse to sleep, so it is more time intesive for me.  At first, I would nurse DD1 down and then come out to join DD2 and DH in the living room for a few hours till the rest of us would go to sleep.  Now that DD2 is bigger (maybe starting at 5 months), I nurse her to sleep first, then nurse DD2 (who actually waits patiently until DD2 is done), then I nurse her to sleep and slip out for TV time or DH time.  We have a king and just added a twin right next where DD1 sleeps and DD2 is now in the middle of DH and I.

It doesn't seem to wake DD1 up when DD2 wakes up to nurse.  When she is very unsettled, I will take her out of the room until she is settled to go back to sleep.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page