11 month old sleep changes- I think we're both confused - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-31-2011, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know this topic has been discussed before (and I have reviewed some of the 3000 threads that came up when I searched it dizzy.gif), but I think I could use a little personal reassurance, if you don't mind. 

Suddenly, my little potamus (lp) has decided that sleeping is passe.  She used to be a fairly eager sleeper (would sometimes cry if I took too long with the bedtime routine, and "ask" to be put down to sleep).  Now, even though she is *very* sleepy, more times than not, if I walk near her crib (or sometimes into her room) she will erupt into heartbreaking, angry sobs, arching her back and basically acting like she is in pain or at least has been severly insulted.  I have tried putting her to bed earlier, putting her to bed later, skipping the afternoon nap, encouraging the afternoon nap, bedtime routine etc.  She is clearly tired, but just can't settle down.  usually, I just get her back up and let her hang out, playing quietly for a little bit and try again, but some nights it has gone on for hours of up/down/up/down.  This morning (or was it last night) she was up from about 3:30-5:00, and finally, in desperation, we just let her cry until she fell asleep.  This did not and never has felt right to me.  I strongly beleive that babies aren't out to manipulate us, but I don't know how to help her get the sleep that she clearly wants and needs (not to mention the sleep that I need). 

Interesting notes:

* about two weeks ago she finally started sleeping all night

* then got her first ear infection, which obviously disrupted things a bit- she just finished ehr antibiotics

* I have been playing with cutting her second nap.  She is in daycare 3 days a week and rarely takes one there, not because it isn't offered, but because she is just too busy playing :)

* she moved out of the co-sleeper at about 6 months because it just seemed like she slept better in her "own space"

* letter her cry while being held doesn't seem to help her, she fights and gets even more frustrated and worked up

Anybody have reassurance or ideas?  Should I just continue to let her get up and play when she is fighting sleep?  I just want to help her not hate sleeping, but also to be able to listen to her body and learn to rest when she is tired.

Thanks to all for reading this, and for any advice/support you might have

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011, 03:51 PM
ssh

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I'm sorry, we were co-sleeping and DD was still nursing to sleep at that age, so I don't have advice on what will work. If your DD is learning new skills, learning to walk for example, or getting teeth, especially her canines both of those things can really disrupt sleep patterns. If the disruption is from learning a new skill or painful teething her sleep issues could clear up on their own after her teeth are in or she's proficient at the new skill. Also occasionally sleep the the night doesn't mean you can expect your toddler to it consistently. Many kids, statistically in studies, have night waking until 3 or 4. Here's an easy to read article http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detsleepthrough.html .

Old 06-06-2011, 12:17 PM

Are you sure the ear infection cleared?  I have heard of similar stories where the baby still had the ear infection and that was causing the sleep disruption... might be worth a second trip to the doc to make sure.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:44 PM

My DS is typically a pretty good sleeper too - he doesnt seem to fight it - we always go down the same way - i nurse him bed, once hes asleep - i can get up. Every now and again...he will show all outward signs of being sleepy - we say 'night night' to everything in teh house and we nurse, i see his little eyes NEARLY close..then pop open again and suddenly he has energy and no interest in going to sleep.   Often we would also just let him get up and play in teh LR - and then about an hour later try again - usually with success. 

One thing i stumbled on that seems to help is to wear him for a quick walk outside - especially when its dark out...i pop him in teh ring sling and just walk around the block....it just seems to relax and calm him down so that when i go right into the bedroom to nurse him - he goes to sleep immediately! 

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

User Tag List