Safe sleeping positions and bedding for newborn (cosleeping) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-02-2011, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD2 is 2 weeks old  and we are bed-sharing, we did the same with DD1 but I can't remember exactly how we co-slept/arranged the bedding etc.  The baby is sleeping either snuggled right up against me with her face smooshed against my boob, or I move her a few inches away from me so I can get more comfortable, try to roll her onto her back (from her side) then put a blanket over her.  I don't think I'm explaining this very well!  The point is, if she was sleeping in a cot I would put her feet to the foot of the cot, and tuck her in tightly with a blanket that's tucked in to the bottom of the cot so it can't ride up over her face.  Job done.  With her in the bed it's a bit more free-flowing, I tend to put a blanket on her up to the armpits and then sort of weight it down with my arm, but as she gets a bit bigger and more co-ordinated she could end up pulling it over her face.  I keep my own duvet tucked tightly around myself and well away from her.  But I can't help thinking it doesn't seem terribly safe compared to if she was in a cot.  What if she pulls the blanket over her head?  What if she rolls over onto her front and suffocates on the towel that we're both lying on to protect the bed?  Yes I am in fully-fledged new mum (albeit second time around) anxiety mode.

The other way we sleep is she likes to sleep face down on me with her feet dangling over my side and her face against my belly, it seems to help when she's got wind.  Again I am worrying that she might end up suffocating on my nightie eyesroll.gif .

I think I am being a bit paranoid but any advice/tips/reassurance would be welcome.

#2 of 5 Old 06-02-2011, 02:43 PM

My DS is 18 mos old and I remember how worried I was about the same thing. What I did was, I always kept my arms out of the blankets, and made sure my DS was placed high enough that the blanket would catch on my arms before they'd reach his face.. I don't know if this makes sense, but it always worked for me. As my son got older, he hated blankets, so I would put warm pajamas on him and he would sleep on top of the blankets. Not sure if this helps or you'll understand what I'm trying to explain. But I hope it comes to you naturally, and doesn't cause you too much stress. smile.gif

Mama to 1 handsome boy born Nov 29/2009 and 1 beautiful girl born May 21/2013 and wife to 1 handsome man, married since Jun 9/2007.

#3 of 5 Old 06-03-2011, 11:34 AM

When DS was tiny, each adult had his/her own blanket, which we kept off DS, and he slept in warm pjs, no blanket.

Wife to DH (10/2004) ~ Mama to DS (1/2009) ~ belly.gif (11/2011)
#4 of 5 Old 06-03-2011, 11:22 PM

this is what we do. although for a long time, i would sleep in a cardigan/zip up hoodie, so my arms and shoulders wouldnt get cold when she fell asleep on the brestfriend pillow, or on my chest or shoulder. we put a lap pad thing under the sheet to protect the bed for any diaper leaks or spit ups. at the very beginning, if she was next to me, her face was above my breast, kinda in my armpit so that i knew there was air flow. she has several sleep sacks since footed jammies are usually too short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDSmomma View Post

When DS was tiny, each adult had his/her own blanket, which we kept off DS, and he slept in warm pjs, no blanket.

#5 of 5 Old 06-04-2011, 11:56 AM

I have always had my kids in sleepers, this is the way all of my friend's babies sleep in a crib or in a co-sleeping arrangement. Blankets are tabu in Austria in the first year as are pillows.

I have covered my baby though with a cloth diaper that I tried out over my head to see if I could breath well if it went over my head.

Barbara, Mama to Isabel (06/2004), Jake (08/2006-03/2007), Noah (01/2008), and Matteo (07/2011) 
Please always research the safety of vaccines even if your doctor tells you they are harmless! novaxnocirc.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page