If you side-car, what do you do for a bedside table? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-09-2011, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So we are getting this crib from IKEA http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20203332 and we'll be setting it up as a side-car to our bed. I have a pack-n-play in that space right now, just to see how it would work and what I've noticed is that I'm really missing having a bedside table. So does anyone have any suggestions or would like to share how they have their set-up? I'd like to have something close by that I can put my cell phone on and a glass of water at least for when I'm thirsty in the middle of the night.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#2 of 8 Old 06-09-2011, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Can you get just a small side table and put it up at the side of your bed at the head, and put the crib next to it?  I think that's what I did, although I can't quite recall.  I know I did that with the co-sleeper in my current room, just not sure if I did it with my crib in my first house which had a bigger bedroom.

#3 of 8 Old 06-09-2011, 07:03 PM

Oh i hope someone has an answer because this is the bane of my existence!  Well that and the fact that i have  to 'superman dive' to get into bed.....lol - we have an extra narrow futon that we sidecarred to our bed - so its the bed, the futon, the wall....

my DH has a nightable on his side and sometimes i have to wake him up and ask for a drink of water or a kleenex....

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#4 of 8 Old 06-10-2011, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

I have a super small table that I was using, it's a bar stool actually from IKEA, so I could put that at the very top of the bed and then put the crib but for some reason, I have in my head that the crib would be more "secure" if it was braced on two sides by the wall rather than just one side. Does that make any sense? Or am I being a super nervous first-time mama?

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#5 of 8 Old 06-14-2011, 09:56 PM

we have the co-sleeper still attached and DS is getting toooo big for it.  but since he's been born, my nightstand just moved further away and I have to get out of bed to get a drink, see the clock (ugh, why we look at the clock when we wake in the night), and get a kleenex.  it's been almost a year of this and I've just gotten used to it.  we are thinking of putting our mattress on the floor and sidecar with a toddler or futon mattress on the floor, but i'm not sure if this will help our woes either.  If our headboard wasn't so tall, I would have considered putting a shelf up ---- but again, it has to be high enough so that DS wouldn't stand and grab things off.  

Ema to my dear son (inseminated at home with frozen donor sperm) born on 6/25/10. h20homebirth.gifnocirc.gif selectivevax.gif familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF bftoddler.gif cd.gifWife to my dear partner.  rainbow1284.gif goorganic.jpg  hang.gif  sewmachine.gif   blogging.jpg.

#6 of 8 Old 06-15-2011, 07:34 AM

We use two small bookcases pushed together at the head of our bed as a "headboard." I think they were $20 apiece on sale from staples or office depot. The bottom shelf is inaccessible unless you push the bed out of they way, but I use it to store sheets and stuff. 

#7 of 8 Old 06-17-2011, 06:42 PM

I place it (cell phone, sometimes jewelry/watch) in a small hanging bag at the head of the crib. It has small velcro straps. Similar to this: http://samsgreatideas.blogspot.com/2010/07/crib-toybook-holder-bag-tutorial.html

As for the water bottle, I keep it in the head corner of the crib. Same with a book I'm reading.

When the babies are still small, I'd have diapers/wipes at the foot of the crib.  As they get longer, less and less stuff was put in the crib. E is almost 9months and tall, so all I have is my water bottle and bag.

As for the light, get a small book light or small light/fan combo thingy. I put that in the bag and can get it easily at night.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#8 of 8 Old 06-27-2011, 09:39 AM

We have a windowsill within reach behind the bed, so I put my cell phone and a small water bottle there. But if I want a book or anything bigger, they go on the nightstand on DH's side of the bed. Before we sidecarred the crib, we had a co-sleeper and I kept my things in a pocket on the outside of the co-sleeper.

First time mom to Max, born 8.23.2010!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page