If you cosleep, do you go to bed at the same time as your kids? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: If you cosleep, do you go to bed at the same time as your kids?
generally yes 39 32.23%
generally no 82 67.77%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 06-27-2011, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

depends, i usually read stories and lay with them (nursing the younger mostly) they both fall asleep and i sneak out. sometimes i do fall asleep if i was up too late the night before. or sometimes nursing just knocks me out lol.gif

mama to one '07 and one '09
#32 of 45 Old 06-28-2011, 05:51 AM

i didn't vote cuz there wasn't a box for "sometimes, depends on how tired we both are"

My boy (don't understand the acronym thing - are y'all saying DS for dear son or something?) is 2.5 and i still stay in bed with him until he is asleep for every nap and nighttime. Some might call me crazy but 98% of the time i don't mind. He is my one and only child and i had almost 40 years of going to bed whenever i wanted so now it's my time to nurture this amazing human. Ask me in a year and i might be singing a different tune, but it works for me now mostly. We are in the crazy time of transitioning out of naps so if he has one and then is awake really late i fall asleep with him, sometimes i think before him!, and if he hasn't had one he'll fall asleep more like 8 o'clock and then i get up and it's so lovely.

#33 of 45 Old 06-28-2011, 07:57 AM

Yes!  I am actually surprised at how many no votes there are.  Getting the kids to go to bed on their own is hard enough when they are in another room, but they all are in my room, and getting them to go to bed when I'm still up is a real battle that I decided that I don't want to fight.  I go to bed with the kids around 10.  Nursing the baby always puts me to sleep anyway.  I'm a morning person, so I do get my "adult" time when I get up, and they sleep in.  My husband often goes to bed much later doing work, then he sleeps in with the kids.  Sometimes he will wake me up when he comes to bed and we'll have some adult time together.  Yep, that's how we do it at our house, and it works great for us.

#34 of 45 Old 06-28-2011, 09:25 AM

It depends.  My DD doesn't go to bed until about 10 pm.  If I'm exhausted, sometimes I'll fall asleep to and not get back up.  Those hours between 10 pm and midnight are really precious to me though for getting things done or just unwinding with DH.  Often DD will fall asleep and then I'll get back up for a few hours to spend some time talking with DH or getting ready for the next day.  We have a new kitten and she requires some loving and attention after DD goes to bed.  She sleeps all day and then is a live wire at night! 

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#35 of 45 Old 06-28-2011, 09:57 AM

Nope. ds1 goes to bed first. He is no longer in the family bed, but he's still in the room. He likes to "warm up" the bed for us. He brushes his teeth, reads a few stories and then gets into the family bed on my side. Then about 10 minutes later ds2 goes to bed. Brush teeth, story, nurse. ds2 goes to sleep in the family bed still. Then a few hours later I'll go to bed. I'll put ds1 in his bed and get into my side, usually at that point ds2 is ready to nurse again. Then about 30ish minutes later DH will come to bed. He likes to take the dogs for a late walk before bed.

~Attatchment and Natural Parent from instincts not from books to my 2 boys~ Childbirth Educator & Placental Encapsulation Professional
homeschool.gif familybed2.gif homebirth.jpgribbonpb.gif
#36 of 45 Old 06-28-2011, 10:40 AM

Nope - it's the only time I really get to do anything - like cook dinner. I go to bed about 2-3 hours after him - he usually wakes up to nurse when I go to bed so it works out.

edit: He's in bed at 7:30 - 8pm

#37 of 45 Old 06-29-2011, 02:38 AM

My son starts out in his crib and then often comes in with us in the middle of the night.  So, everyone who puts baby to sleep in their bed and then leaves for adult time, how do you make your bed safe for baby without you there?  We don't have bed rails and I worry he'd roll off the bed.

#38 of 45 Old 06-29-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkyDay View Post

My son starts out in his crib and then often comes in with us in the middle of the night.  So, everyone who puts baby to sleep in their bed and then leaves for adult time, how do you make your bed safe for baby without you there?  We don't have bed rails and I worry he'd roll off the bed.

Our bed is on the floor. We put sheep furs on the floor, and a body pillow where the bed meets the floor to "break" a fall.

We made a special frame for our mattress shortly after he was born so that we could be on the floor.

:
#39 of 45 Old 07-01-2011, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

We plan to go to bed at the same time. Sometimes one or the other child falls asleep before i do. But once im in bed, they want to join me, if if they continue to play for a couple of minutes. I cant imagine the hassle of doing it any other way.

#40 of 45 Old 07-02-2011, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I don't co-sleep anymore, but when I did my dd and I were asleep at the same time.  Even now I don't stay up much longer than she does usually.

#41 of 45 Old 07-07-2011, 05:31 AM

We all get ready for bed together.  Boys go to bed at 9 o'clock.  Hubby and I go to bed when we're tired.  We regularly rise at 5am and have quiet time in the early part of the day.

#42 of 45 Old 07-10-2011, 12:02 AM

8mo DD goes to sleep sometime between 7:30 and 11, DH goes to bed between 9 and midnight, and I'm up until past midnight most evenings. So no, we don't go to bed at the same time. However, DD has gone through phases where she couldn't sleep without me next to her, so in those situations I gave up my late nights to sleep with her.

mama to 1 gorgeous DD 11/05/10

When we know better, we do better.

#43 of 45 Old 07-12-2011, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My 3 year old DS goes to bed around 9ish. DH and I go to bed around 11. Once my little guy is out - I can pretty much have a party in his room and he won't wake up.sleeping.gif  It hasn't always been like that though, and when he was younger I had to go to sleep with him or he'd be up every 15 minutes.

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

#44 of 45 Old 07-19-2011, 06:28 AM

Either my husband or I go to bed with our babe - but sometimes (unless I'm exhausted) not to sleep.

I'll read or have the laptop in bed but I hang out with the kiddo as we haven't invested in monitors.

Interesting thread, I was wondering what others do. :)

#45 of 45 Old 08-08-2011, 04:41 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

"Generally No" for us too.  DC co-slept with us for 5 solid years and then on and off for a couple after that.  We now have another baby who sleeps with us as well.  I know with DC#1 we did all kinds of different things depending on all of our needs.  I remember lots of times that DC would fall asleep with us in the living areas of the house.  Lots of sling sleep.  I remember a long, long time of me using my laptop in bed while she fell asleep and me getting up after.  Then there was the glory days of her going to sleep to a book on tape and us being in another room - heaven!  DC#2 is a little easier (or we are more relaxed!) and she goes to bed at about 7:30 and I go downstairs and listen for her on a monitor.  I hated the idea of a monitor with DC#1 but I love it with the second baby.  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page