If you cosleep, do you go to bed at the same time as your kids? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: If you cosleep, do you go to bed at the same time as your kids?
generally yes 39 32.23%
generally no 82 67.77%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 06-19-2011, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just out of curiosity...

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#2 of 45 Old 06-19-2011, 10:40 PM

We no longer co sleep, however DD was in the pack n play for about an hour or two before we headed to bed. At that time she normally woke up for her first feeding and then came to bed with us. 

#3 of 45 Old 06-19-2011, 10:46 PM

We no longer cosleep, but I voted no. I would if I was exhausted, or (with real little babies) if they happened to be up late and ready for bed around the same time I was. Most of the time, though, the kids were in bed several hours before I was.
#4 of 45 Old 06-19-2011, 11:11 PM

I voted generally no, for both of my kids. I agree with the PP who said if they were up late or had little babies or were utterly exhausted, then I'd go to bed with them. I use "my" time after they're in bed to watch shows with my partner, surf the net, do dishes, clothes etc. And just really enjoy some time without two little critters crawling around on me!

erthe_mama likes this.

Stephanienut.gif, RT, Mama to Jenergy.gif (4/06), Nfencing.gif (9/10), and someone new stork-girl.gif (2/14), partner to Vdrum.gif and Learning to take it one day at a timepraying.gif 
#5 of 45 Old 06-19-2011, 11:18 PM

My kids go to bed at 1030 and it's not unheard of for me to still be up at 2.  Sometimes I'll stay in bed and read while they're snuggled up next to me, but more often I'm picking up around the house or interneting.

obstruct livery vehicles

#6 of 45 Old 06-20-2011, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Nope. I did when she was tiny but that was because she would sleep the first part of the evening with us in the lounge room. Then we'd all go to bed when she woke for a feed around 10ish. 

Now, I feed her to sleep in our bed around 6ish and then get up. DH and I have a nice, quiet evening together (between feeds) and we join her in bed again around 10ish.

It's lovely to have that quiet time in the evenings. I really miss it if she goes to bed late.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#7 of 45 Old 06-20-2011, 05:22 AM

I voted yes. Our DS is still little, and he'll fall asleep in arms or in the swing while we're relaxing for the evening, and I actually carry him to bed when we go to bed. A few times, I've nursed him down in bed, then gotten up again, but that doesn't usually  go well.

Jo - WOHM to E 12/26/10, Wife to SAHD DH.

cd.gifslingboy.giftoddler.gifbelly.gif

#8 of 45 Old 06-20-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2this View Post

We no longer co sleep, however DD was in the pack n play for about an hour or two before we headed to bed. At that time she normally woke up for her first feeding and then came to bed with us. 

This is exactly what we did with DD and will do with this little guy as soon as he decides it's time to come join us *EDD is today :)* <---- just had to share love.gif

Working, freshly graduated! mama.  Loving life with DHguitar.gif , DD 7/09energy.gif, and DS 06/11 babyboy.gif.

#9 of 45 Old 06-20-2011, 08:00 AM

Definitely not. She goes down around 9, and I enjoy having a couple of hours to myself or with my husband.  If I'm really tired or sick or something, I'll go down with her, and sometimes I fall asleep while putting her down, but normally we join her in bed later on.

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#10 of 45 Old 06-20-2011, 11:49 AM

Thanks for posting; I had the same question, though I'd also like to know how people put their babies down beforehand? Right now we swaddle our 9 month old and I nurse her to sleep in the middle of our bed. I'd like to transition the first part of the night (from 8-11 or so) by placing her in pack-n-play or crib. When I nurse her to sleep and try to place her in the crib, she wakes up and cries. Can't seem to get her to stay asleep in the crib without fussing (she is quite persistant). Any ideas to help with this transition? We are fine with her sleeping with us once we go to bed, but it would be nice to have some extra time at night. I should note that one of us sleeps with her during nap-time during the day in our bed.

#11 of 45 Old 06-20-2011, 11:55 AM

I nurse DD (4 month old) down  to sleep in my bed and then I usually get up and take care of some extra things before coming back to bed in an hour or so.

Occasionally, if I don't have any chores to take care of I might lay next to her and watch TV in bed.

#12 of 45 Old 06-20-2011, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicara View Post

Thanks for posting; I had the same question, though I'd also like to know how people put their babies down beforehand? Right now we swaddle our 9 month old and I nurse her to sleep in the middle of our bed. I'd like to transition the first part of the night (from 8-11 or so) by placing her in pack-n-play or crib. When I nurse her to sleep and try to place her in the crib, she wakes up and cries. Can't seem to get her to stay asleep in the crib without fussing (she is quite persistant). Any ideas to help with this transition? We are fine with her sleeping with us once we go to bed, but it would be nice to have some extra time at night. I should note that one of us sleeps with her during nap-time during the day in our bed.

Honestly? I put mine in the middle of the king-sized bed. We have bedrails on both sides. If you're concerned that you'd like the use of the bed while she sleeps...we use other locations...

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#13 of 45 Old 06-21-2011, 04:50 AM

I used to go to bed at the same time as DD. That was when she was going to bed around 9-9:30. Now though, she goes down at 7 every night and sometimes I am at work until 9:30. She still sleeps with me most of the time...she falls asleep in her own bed (which is in my room) and then she gets in my bed around 11 each night.

Single mom to Claudia love.gif

#14 of 45 Old 06-21-2011, 01:23 PM
MJB

My school-aged kids coslept until 5 and 2 (all the time-- didn't even have their own beds) and I almost never went to sleep at the same time as them. My 11 mo. old sleeps in her own bed for the first half of the night and cosleeps for the second half-- I obviously don't go to sleep at the same time as her. I really, really need grown-up time after the kids go to sleep. 

#15 of 45 Old 06-21-2011, 09:02 PM

I read Pantley's the "no cry sleep solution book" she gave some good tips about getting baby used to sleeping in a crib/bed for naps, bedtime.  My 4 month old baby would only sleep in our arms or right next to me in our bed and with the tips in the book, we've managed to get him to sleep in his co-sleeper before I go to bed and I bring him back into family bed with me when I go to sleep.  I worry less about him when he is in the co-sleeper rather than in our bed alone.  Sears sleep book also has some good tips.  They both discuss things like wearing baby down in a sling and carefully transferring feet first onto a warm sheet, using white noise so they don't wake up, bedtime routines and putting the baby to bed drowsy but awake so they get used to falling asleep in the crib/co-sleeper rather than in your arms/nursing.  Pantley also has a good section about removing the pacifier or breast before they are fully asleep so they don't get dependent on these.  Our baby would wake up as soon as the pacifier fell out when he napped but now he spits it out - it's pretty funny.  I think putting baby down drowsy but awake and getting them used to falling asleep on their own is key to getting them to sleep sometimes alone, also because they have 20 minute sleep cycles (the books explain this) and so if they stir and you are not there they will wake up every 20 minutes if not used to going to sleep solo.  Good luck! 

#16 of 45 Old 06-22-2011, 01:27 PM

Sweet DS is now 7 and half months and I nurse him to sleep in our king bed.  I then join him when DH goes to sleep, somewhere between 10 and 11, and we sleep together until DS wakes up anywhere between 6:45 - 7:45.

Until a few months ago, though, DS was with me WHEREVER I was...  But he would sleep through anything - it was so suitable.  Missing those days and that sweet little newborn already.  (But obviously loving our fun bigboy!)  :)

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

#17 of 45 Old 06-22-2011, 01:42 PM

I stayed in bed with my son for the first year.

I would listen to books on an ipod, or go to sleep.

It was kind of weird going to bed at 7-8, but I needed the rest.

He has always woken up really easily, so it was just easier for me to stick around. I would lay down with him at nap time also.

Whenever it came up most people thought I was nuts, or suggested solutions.

I really didn't mind (usually)

It started to get to me around his first birthday, so i began leaving him on the bed alone a little at a time.

Now he naps alone on the bed waking up once or twice to nurse during his 2-3 hour nap.

At night it can take a long time to get him to go down and sometimes I fall asleep in the process.

He still wakes if there is a lot of noise, but I usually get up to get some work done on the computer at night.

so I voted generally no, but I'm thinking it's probably more 50/50

he is 20 months old

:
#18 of 45 Old 06-22-2011, 02:15 PM

I coslept with all mine for at least a year. No, I did not go to bed the same time as them, except for in the very earliest months. By four months, my kids were going to bed substantially earlier than I was. I would nurse them or rock them down, and then leave them to sleep until I came to bed. Once they were mobile, we were sleeping on a futon mattress placed directly on the floor, in a babyproofed room, so I did not hesitate to leave them.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#19 of 45 Old 06-22-2011, 02:49 PM

no.  Even when my son was infant we didn't.  He was going to bed at 6:30!! I was barely getting home from work. Even as a toddler/older kid it was "off to bed, big kiss and see you soon".

He went thru stages when he had trouble sleeping, I would lay down with him and promptly fall asleep myself, LOL but those were few and far between.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#20 of 45 Old 06-22-2011, 03:25 PM

I've been trying not to, but it's actually nice to get the cuddle time in since I work full time during the day.

#21 of 45 Old 06-22-2011, 03:25 PM

I'm shocked by the number of no's.  How do you do it?

DD fell asleep in my arms while watching TV up until about 15 months.  Then I had to go to bed with her.  And if I am lying down to get her to sleep I generally fall asleep.  She's 26 months now and something needs to change, still trying to figure out what and how.

#22 of 45 Old 06-23-2011, 07:54 AM

I checked "no" because the times I got to sleep with him are when I choose to not because I need to. Of course, he's lately done this late afternoon nap so he's going to bed around 10 (!) so those nights I'll go to sleep with him b/c I'm tired!

I nurse him until he's asleep and then he takes the binky and then I'll hold him a while before I can lay him down. He sleeps on a queen mattress on the floor in our room.

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#23 of 45 Old 06-23-2011, 09:04 AM

dust.gif   

#24 of 45 Old 06-23-2011, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Usually not.  Sometimes we fall asleep putting them to bed, or if dh is away I might just go to bed with them, but generally I would put them down and come to bed later.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#25 of 45 Old 06-23-2011, 10:25 AM

Nope, there was a time, but it was mostly out of my complete exhaustion and wanting to spend some extra dream-time with our new family member - now 4 1/2mos. Generally DS goes to bed around 8:30, followed by me around 10:30, followed by DH around 11:30-12-1am, depending on the weekday.

covert crunchy wife to guitar.gif & mama to DSbabyf.gif02/11. Dreaming of travelling the earth.gif as soon as we catch up on some sleeping.gif

#26 of 45 Old 06-23-2011, 08:17 PM

I have a thermarest, which is a lightweight sleeping pad for camping, I put DD to sleep on that, and then I'll bring her into bed after she wakes up. Generally a hour or two after I go to bed. The sleeping pad is the only thing that works. I can never get the pack-n-play or crib to work.

1st time mama to my little Diogenes, born 8/25/10
#27 of 45 Old 06-23-2011, 09:31 PM

For the first 6 months, dd wouldn't sleep unless I was with her, so I would bring my laptop to bed an watch movies while dd slept.  We just stopped cosleeping, but from 6 months to 2 1/2yrs I would put her down to sleep and then I would leave.  She goes to sleep at 7 so I'm not going to sleep then, unless I'm sick.

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#28 of 45 Old 06-23-2011, 11:51 PM

Great question :)

I co sleep in the same room as AE and I put her to bed at 830-900 and I don't go to bed until 12, then we both wake up at 8-9 :)

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

#29 of 45 Old 06-24-2011, 11:54 AM

No, but my 16 mo DS thinks we have the same bedtime! I nurse him to sleep in our bed and get up when I can. I usually only have 30-60 min before he'll wake up, noticing I'm not there. So, if I need to finish something downstairs, I do that right away (monitor in hand) and go back up ASAP. Then I do my yoga practice and meditate near the bed so I can quickly nurse him back down. Someday I hope he will relax about my proximity and just keep sleeping, knowing that I'm nearby!
#30 of 45 Old 06-27-2011, 07:55 AM

I lay down with DS and  nurse him to sleep in our bed around 7:30 and he's good for a few hours until we come to bed. He's 9 months though so he can go longer at night without nursing.

hippie.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gifbabyf.giflactivist.gifsigncirc1.gifdelayedvax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page