Our Night Weaning Story - Daily Progression - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 07-17-2011, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What is your ideal dream of a great bed/night time?  Does your DD nurse or is the am nursing her only nursing time?

I don't like the early am nursing either, Yikes 4:30?! Ouch!

I'm  feeling wishy-washy about compleat weaning though....

I think if i got the bedtime routine under controll an early am nurse might not be as annoying as it sometimes is now

hope some breakthroughs are coming your way!

#32 of 37 Old 07-17-2011, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikanmom View Post

What is your ideal dream of a great bed/night time?  Does your DD nurse or is the am nursing her only nursing time?

I don't like the early am nursing either, Yikes 4:30?! Ouch!

I'm  feeling wishy-washy about compleat weaning though....

I think if i got the bedtime routine under controll an early am nurse might not be as annoying as it sometimes is now

hope some breakthroughs are coming your way!

DD nurses pretty much several times during the day.  She nurses upon waking (or 6:30, whichever comes first), at naptime, upon waking from nap, sometimes in the late afternoon, and then at bedtime.  I don't want her to wean yet.  The daytime is perfectly ok with me to have her nursing at this frequency.  She's still taking in a LOT of milk.  I can hear her swallowing so I know I'm making plenty.

It's the nighttime routine that I need to have improve.  We have already seen a significant improvement but I guess I'm greedy - I want even more.  I want her sleep.  I want her to sleep because it's also good for her, not just for me.  She's almost 2.  She's verbal, bi-lingual, and VERY active.  This child NEEDS her sleep.  When she doesn't get enough, she's a completely different kiddo.  She's not as patient with herself or her surroundings.  She's much more clingy, whiny, and easy to upset.  It's basically a bad day for everyone because we're having to compensate for her tired.  I know the same thing holds true for when I'm tired.  I'm no fool (even though I can act it).  biglaugh.gif

Last night's transition to sleeping with just DH was better than the first night.  She woke up at some point (DH doesn't know when since doesn't look at the clock and I don't have one in DD's room) but only made a few squeaks and then went back to sleep quickly after I heard DH sooth her a bit.  At 6:30, she popped out of bed, left DH sleeping there, and went in search of me through the house.  It actually came in handy that she walked right past her room because it gave me a chance to run to the bathroom to pee.  Very important!!!  orngbiggrin.gif 

We then settled into the big bed for about a 40 minute nursing session while DH snored away, still pretty much catching his zzz's.  I love that man!  (Truly, I'm not being sarcastic!)  I do totally envy his ability to sleep through stuff, though.  But, in analyzing our little journey to Sleepville, I think the process has given him a greater awareness of DD's nighttime needs and I think having only him there has given DD a greater connection with him.

I am really keeping my fingers crossed for a continued successful transition!  thumb.gif

(Besides, I don't like sleeping without DH as much as I am enjoying the freedom to move around a bit more in my sleep.  orngtongue.gif)

Now: Mama of 2! Worker Bee happily married to my DH, motorcycle riding mama to H 8/99 and K 8/09.
#33 of 37 Old 07-26-2011, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

I've not updated our progression the last several nights, well, ok, a week, since there has been only slight improvement.  I am still sleeping in DD's bed while she and DH are cosleeping.  I miss sleeping with DH.  greensad.gif

DD is still waking up.  I'm still not sure what time because I've yet to figure out how to put an unobnoxious clock in her room that I can also see at night.  Last night, she woke up at some point but DH doesn't remember her waking.  He's a much harder sleeper than I.  Or maybe I'm just a freakishly light sleeper?  Either way, she's still waking up and we're now going on a month of this and I'm tired of it.  I guess figuratively AND literally.

Last Thursday, I went to see a holistic nutritionist that I've seen before.  Many, many years before.  She did wonders for me last time so I'm keeping my fingers crossed this time also.  I've got a set of supplements to take and DD takes one mixed into her frozen banana "ice cream" before bed.  It's supposed to help regulate her system and get her sleeping better.  It's the same thing for me but at double the dosage.

My PPD is cycling down again and I am again desperate for sleep.  Even moreso that I haven't been able to nap on a regular basis with DD.  Partly, because I don't really want to be her live pacifier when she rouses from her sleep after 45 minutes and then soothes attached to my nipple.  Still, I guess it's better than nothing but ...  meh.  irked.gif

I've started taking valerian to try to help ME relax overnight.  It's helping initially but I still hear everything through my sleep.  I am now more and more convinced that our sleep problems have to do, at least partly, with my sleep cycles.

Tonight, after DD was dressed for bed, she pointed to "her" bed and indicated that she wanted to sleep there.  I didn't put her to sleep there because I'm not sleeping well enough to deal with a 1:30 a.m. (or whatever time) screaming wake up, or her rolling herself out of the bed, or, or, or, or.

Where's my magic wand?!?!?!

dust.gif

Now: Mama of 2! Worker Bee happily married to my DH, motorcycle riding mama to H 8/99 and K 8/09.
#34 of 37 Old 07-30-2011, 09:03 PM

Just want to chime and say thanks for sharing this story! My DS is almost 18 months, and I am getting more convinced nightweaning is in our future...sigh. I hope that things continue to improve for you, especially with your own moods & mental health!

#35 of 37 Old 07-31-2011, 06:07 PM

Lurker- I've been watching this thread since it was created and thought I'd jump in.

No magic bullets here.  But I will say that I really think sleeping through the night is a developmental thing.  My little man just night weaned this summer.  He's 3.5 years old.  We are down to nursing only to fall asleep and right before we get out of the bed.  He was waking every 2 hours without fail from birth.  The first month was really hard.  Every time he woke I would tell him yummies are sleeping you can have them when mr. sun comes up.  That resulted in lots of yelling,crying, tantruming, but it never lasted longer than a few minutes.  Now he will sleep an 8 hour stretch without waking most nights, and some nights even a 10 hour stretch. It does get better.  You have to do what is best for you as well though.  And I think since you are having some ppd issues it's probably time to night wean.

#36 of 37 Old 07-06-2012, 08:22 PM

I know it's almost been a year since the last update, but how does this story end? My DS is 19 mo and I'm starting to think night weaning is in our future. These every 2 hour night nursings are wearing on me, as are the 45 min nap/nurse intermissions, and the "I'm hungry & Mom is the closest food source" nursings, etc.

Thanks again for sharing!

#37 of 37 Old 02-10-2013, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I night weaned my daughter just before age three. We had a few nights of complaining and asking for milk, then it got much better. Now she probably sleeps through the night 4 out of every 5 nights. The other nights she wakes once or twice but doesn't ask for milk.

I was night nursing her and her younger brother and going crazy from sleep deprivation.

A tip I got from a naomi aldort article that used to be on this site is to nurse to sleep then not again until morning. That way they are never confused if it is time to nurse or not.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page