Nighttime advice please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-05-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I recently posted about trying to night wean my 11 month old, and I decided that I'm not ready. The situation is this:

I put him down in his crib at 6pm, and he usually goes pretty well. He wakes up at least every hour after that until I go to bed, at 8:30 or 9. At that point he comes to bed with me and I don't know how often he wakes. When I go to him I try shush and pat, but he just wants boob, which I give him, then he goes right back to sleep. He doesn't even nurse to sleep.

The biggest problem I see is that he is waking so frequently before I go to bed and it's mostly inconvenient for me. I'm not quite sure how I should handle it- be more firm about him sleeping and not nurse, or just deal with it because it's a phase (he has been doing this for about a month or 2 now. I have tries letting him cry, and it just doesnt work for us- not comfortable with an hour of crying by himself. Anyway, I hope someone has some insight for me! Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-06-2011, 08:46 PM

could it be that he isn't really "tired" at 6pm? I know sometimes my daughter would nurse to sleep but only because it was soothing, and then wake up for an hour or two until she was finally really tired enough to sleep deeply. Also, depending on what milestones he is hitting (walking, talking) or even teething, those could all disrupt sleep and the comfort of you being close could be all he needs to get into the deeper sleep. 

Mama to  Hadley (2/10) energy.gif& Sawyer (1/13) babyboy.gif familybed1.gif

#3 of 4 Old 07-06-2011, 11:37 PM

For my 11 month old, there are definitely nights like that.  I've been trying to make sure that she has a food snack right before bed. (Yogurt is most often what she has.)    It "seems'" to be working but I'm not sure that there's a real correlation.  I agree with the PP about being tired.  My DD is mostly down to one nap a day in the late morning.  Then she'll go to bed for the night around 6:30-7:00.  BUT if she has a second nap it won't be until 8:30 or 9:00.  (And she sleeps well at night, as least in terms of total duration, usually 12 hours or so). 

There are times during the night when she wakes very frequently.  I haven't found a good solution but I understand your frustration.  After the third or fourth waking in a hour I "know" she's not hungry, but breastfeeding is what settles her.  Sometimes picking her up and rocking her for a minute can help break the cycle and get her into a deeper sleep.  I usually only save that for when I'm really desperate.  Mostly because I'm not really awake enough to think about doing it.  Otherwise, I'll move her into a new sleeping position (on her side, for example), and that can help.  I also adjust temperature (is she too hot or too cold). 

Oh and sush/pat has NEVER worked for me, with either of my kids.  Maybe I'm not determined enough but I won't let my baby cry when I know what she wants. 

Maybe try a later bedtime and see if that helps at all?

~m. Mama to two! DS (11/2006) and DD (07/2010).

#4 of 4 Old 07-07-2011, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, that does help- at least I am not alone in this :)  I feel ike the only solution for is is acceptance... I can try putting the A/C in his room, since it has been pretty hot at night.  I am almost certain he jsut wants to be with me, because a good cuddle with the boob is what soothes him, and he wants top just hang out there....forever.  He usually stops waking up when I go to bed with him. We are going to try to all sleep in bed as a family, unti now it has been me and baby in bed, and daddy in a separate bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildinTheory View Post

For my 11 month old, there are definitely nights like that.  I've been trying to make sure that she has a food snack right before bed. (Yogurt is most often what she has.)    It "seems'" to be working but I'm not sure that there's a real correlation.  I agree with the PP about being tired.  My DD is mostly down to one nap a day in the late morning.  Then she'll go to bed for the night around 6:30-7:00.  BUT if she has a second nap it won't be until 8:30 or 9:00.  (And she sleeps well at night, as least in terms of total duration, usually 12 hours or so). 

There are times during the night when she wakes very frequently.  I haven't found a good solution but I understand your frustration.  After the third or fourth waking in a hour I "know" she's not hungry, but breastfeeding is what settles her.  Sometimes picking her up and rocking her for a minute can help break the cycle and get her into a deeper sleep.  I usually only save that for when I'm really desperate.  Mostly because I'm not really awake enough to think about doing it.  Otherwise, I'll move her into a new sleeping position (on her side, for example), and that can help.  I also adjust temperature (is she too hot or too cold). 

Oh and sush/pat has NEVER worked for me, with either of my kids.  Maybe I'm not determined enough but I won't let my baby cry when I know what she wants. 

Maybe try a later bedtime and see if that helps at all?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page