Baby geos to bed earlier than me - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-07-2011, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my 11 month old has been going to bed fairly early, and too early for me to join him. He wakes up constantly looking for me until I finally go to bed. I have been thinking about just keeping him up until I go to bed, but I have always heard that between 6 and 7pm is the healthiest bedtime for kids...I was wondering what other people's experiences are. This could be the solution to our problem, but before I start keeping him up later I don't want to mess up his sleep cycles,

#2 of 5 Old 07-09-2011, 11:34 PM

I encourage you to avoid manipulating his bedtime either way. Yes, I have heard the very popular thought that an early bedtime is 'best', but it completely depends on your child's very individual needs. My DD, for example, is a night owl. Always has been, even in utero. She's gone through phases where she'd fall asleep in that conventional early window; but more times than not, she needed to be up longer. It just really depends, and they'll sleep according to their body's own fluctuating needs. I think it is wise to not screw with that.

With that said.

If he is going to bed too early for you to join him, would it disturb him-- or help him---- to put him in a wrap or sling just before or after he falls asleep for the night?

mama to 1 gorgeous DD 11/05/10

When we know better, we do better.

#3 of 5 Old 07-11-2011, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

I think I will try to keep him in the Ergo and as long as he's nursing he would stay asleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBees Mama View Post

I encourage you to avoid manipulating his bedtime either way. Yes, I have heard the very popular thought that an early bedtime is 'best', but it completely depends on your child's very individual needs. My DD, for example, is a night owl. Always has been, even in utero. She's gone through phases where she'd fall asleep in that conventional early window; but more times than not, she needed to be up longer. It just really depends, and they'll sleep according to their body's own fluctuating needs. I think it is wise to not screw with that.

With that said.

If he is going to bed too early for you to join him, would it disturb him-- or help him---- to put him in a wrap or sling just before or after he falls asleep for the night?

#4 of 5 Old 07-11-2011, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Our son is 20 months and goes to bed when we do (we co-sleep). He averages 13 hours of sleep within a 24 hour period. So even if we go to bed late, he'll either sleep later in the morning or have a longer nap in the afternoon.

#5 of 5 Old 07-11-2011, 12:50 PM

My kids never went to bed between 6 & 7 unless we were getting rid of naps & they happened to fall asleep then.

They usually went to bed at 8, the odd time 7 but usually 8.    If they woke up I'd rock them back to sleep in the living room & put them back to bed.  I would always nurse them again before I went to bed around 11-12.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page