Regina hospital changing policy after newborn dies in bed with mom - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-11-2011, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

:( My heart goes out to this mama. However, policy does not need to be changed; this mama was going to follow her intuition and put baby in the bassinet to sleep (she was probably overtired and knew!). Please vote in the poll to the right as to whether a newborn should be allowed tom sleep in bed with mama or not:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/arts-and-life/life/health/regina-hospital-changing-policy-after-newborn-dies-in-bed-with-mom.html

I'm a queer, poly, pagan, (dis)abled, crazy, crunchy, intersectionally-minded feminist. fsonj & I are mamas to our unschooled/freeschooled 12yo & 3yo!  (Ask me about co-breastfeeding, supplementing at the breast, inducing lactation, eating placentas, undisturbed birth, and parenting a genderqueer child with Aspergers!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That is so sad!  I feel so bad for that mom.  

I know in the hospital I was in, the baby couldn't even be in the room alone with Mom if mom was asleep.  The dad had to be there, or they took the baby to the nursery.  They'd have never allowed mom to even carry the baby in the hospital.  Mom had to be sitting down and someone could pass the baby to the mom.

That was a long time ago though.  

I'm just heartbroken for that mom.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:49 PM

That poll is vague.  Does it mean in the hospital?  Or at home?  

Old 07-12-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

I believe it means in-hospital. :)

I'm a queer, poly, pagan, (dis)abled, crazy, crunchy, intersectionally-minded feminist. fsonj & I are mamas to our unschooled/freeschooled 12yo & 3yo!  (Ask me about co-breastfeeding, supplementing at the breast, inducing lactation, eating placentas, undisturbed birth, and parenting a genderqueer child with Aspergers!)
Old 07-12-2011, 10:50 AM

i slept with my newborn in bed in hospital.  the article wasn't even clear what the heck happened, so how can it be blamed on bedsharing?  i don't get it. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 07-12-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

i slept with my newborn in bed in hospital.  the article wasn't even clear what the heck happened, so how can it be blamed on bedsharing?  i don't get it. 

yeahthat.gif

So if a newborn died in the bassinet thing, would they rethink all their recommendations and forbid bassinets?? Very weird, I feel like I'm missing a piece of the story or something. So sad for this poor mama though. And why didn't they let her put the baby in the bassinet when she asked???

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 07-12-2011, 07:18 PM

greensad.gif

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
Old 07-12-2011, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

You've got it! It could have happened from any number of things. Maybe the baby was just vaxxed and had an adverse effect, maybe it was an allergic reaction to some nurse's perfume; who the heck really knows.

In short, there are many other things I'd need to know before ever agreeing that this was a "co-sleeping death."

User Tag List