Night weaning plans? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-26-2011, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 20 month old DD has been waking every 2 hours to nurse for her whole life and I have had enough.  We decided to try completely eliminating the night nursing and having my husband manage all of the night wakings (she won't settle for me at all without nursing) and it is not going well.  After three nights she is still waking at least every 2 hours and taking a while to settle down.  We have seen no improvement in her waking frequency (maybe it is just too soon?) and are wondering if we need to amend the plan.

Has anyone had success with decreasing night nursing instead of completely eliminating it? The Dr. Jay Gordon plan sounds good, but I wonder if the inconsistency would confuse and/or frustrate my girl since she can't tell time and wouldn't know what to expect.  The plan in Sleepless in America is similar, recommending that you gradually move the "okay to nurse" time later and later, hoping the wakings move later as well.  Same issue with inconsistency, but does it work?

What have you had success with?

Mama to a sweet little redheaded girl, born 11/09; and my HBAC baby, little brother, born 7/12.

#2 of 4 Old 07-26-2011, 08:23 PM

We've been working on complete nightweaning between bedtime (currently anytime between 8:30 and 9:30) and sunrise.  We've had mixed results.  We've been able to eliminate all nursings but DD still wakes.

It's a predicament, definitely.

dizzy.gif

Now: Mama of 2! Worker Bee happily married to my DH, motorcycle riding mama to H 8/99 and K 8/09.
#3 of 4 Old 07-31-2011, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We had success with moving the time later and later, started with a threshold of ten p.m. and every few days we would add 15 minutes.  It took a long time for the first couple of shifts to work (started at 9 months) but now he is 11 months and we make it until about 5 a.m. 6 of 7 nights, which I can live with.  We probably won't try to eliminate this last early morning feeding for another 6 months or so.  It was hard on me hearing him whipmer while DH rocked and sung to him, and hard on DH with little sleep, but it has been worth it and has really given some confidence to DH about his ability to calm and "nurse" our LO.  I think they bonded during the process.  A few times i slept in another room which seemed to help. Good luck, I'd say give it a little more time.

Aug 2009;  DS1 Sep 2010; Dec 2012; Dec 2013; May 2014
#4 of 4 Old 07-31-2011, 06:09 PM

I really think sleeping through the night is a developmental thing.  My little man just night weaned this summer.  He's 3.5 years old.  We are down to nursing only to fall asleep and right before we get out of the bed.  He was waking every 2 hours without fail from birth.  The first month was really hard.  Every time he woke I would tell him yummies are sleeping you can have them when mr. sun comes up.  That resulted in lots of yelling,crying, tantruming, but it never lasted longer than a few minutes.  Now he will sleep an 8 hour stretch without waking most nights, and some nights even a 10 hour stretch. It does get better.  You have to do what is best for you as well though

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page