What bedding do you remove when cosleeping with a newborn? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 08-15-2011, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

She's 15 months old, and I am now feeling comfortable with tucking the comforter around her legs, with the other side tucked below me. She kicks it off if she doesn't want it.

CDing, BFing, co-sleeping, combination of BWing and stroller-using mama to DD, 05/2010. Pursuing a back to nature lifestyle.
#32 of 41 Old 08-15-2011, 10:57 AM

When DS was tiny he had a Close and Secure co-sleeper in bed with us. From 2.5 months he was sleeping with us, and we didn't reduce any bedding. I got lulled into a false sense of security, and just recently at 8.5 months we had our first co-sleeping scare. We no longer sleep with pillows in the bed.

#33 of 41 Old 08-15-2011, 05:00 PM

We didn't change anything. With ds1, I actually had him completely under the covers after a couple months because it was winter & our place was *cold*. There was no way I was going without blankets and I had them pulled over my shoulders. He & I shared a single bed for the 10 months or so, so if I was covered, so was he. With my other 2 kids (and the purchase of a king size bed) we keep all our blankets & comforters, I just make sure they aren't pulled up over the baby's head. I do actually cover them with the blanket though, if it's cold enough & depending on how their skin feels temperature wise.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#34 of 41 Old 08-22-2011, 07:56 AM

We are new at it, though I grew up with family bed.  I use a pillow, but I keep him with his head at breast level.  I sleep on my side curled around him, sometimes with him in the crook of my arm.  I am using a thin blanket that I tuck under my pillow and smooth out, so he can be on top of it, then I pull it over me.  I usually put him in a swaddle blanket or one of those sleep sack things.

Wifey (23) and Hubby (23) since 07/08.  Enjoying DS baby.gif born 8/6/11!

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif nocirc.gif femalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif !!!

#35 of 41 Old 03-28-2012, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Wondertwins, that is what my twin sister and her husband do as well,  they each have their own twin sized blanket, and then have the baby in between them.  I'm thinking that is what I'll do as well.  

twins.gif M & B loving life together with Q baby.gif born 8/25/12
#36 of 41 Old 03-28-2012, 09:09 PM

There was a baby who recently died close to where I am living due to pillows so I think it is good to be cautious.

I love having a blanket on even in summer, so that was an adjustment.  I wear flannel pants and a nursing bra which helps it feel more like a blanket to me.  I later bought a tiny travel pillow to sleep on too. 

#37 of 41 Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 AM

When she was brand-spankin' new (and it was already obvious that if she didn't sleep in my arms she didn't sleep) I slept flat on the mattress with the sheet and cotton blanket pulled up to my waist.  Now that's she's older, stronger, and able to adjust herself (and squawk loudly if she's in trouble) I have my pillow back.  Which is AWESOME for my neck.

Husband reports that many mornings he'll be trying to rouse me by rubbing my arm, saying my name, and he gets no response, but shortly before or after she'll sigh and try to turn, and I'll pop and eye open, arrange her to her liking and move around her again.  He's amazed by it.

She hates the blanket.  So it's still just up to my waist, and over the shoulder farthest from her. 

I did not plan to bed-share.  We planned to have her in her co-sleeper and not in the bed.  The hospital would not allow her in my bed, so after 48 sleepless hours (we'd drift off, nurse would come in and move her, she'd scream, I'd pick her up, nurse, comfort, we'd drift off...  repeat) I got in bed at home and we took our first good nap together.  And we were off to the races, so to speak.  She naps in her co-sleeper now, and starts the night out there.  But as soon as she wakes up for her first middle of the night feeding she comes in bed with me and stays there until morning.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#38 of 41 Old 03-29-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vitae View Post

Wondertwins, that is what my twin sister and her husband do as well,  they each have their own twin sized blanket, and then have the baby in between them.  I'm thinking that is what I'll do as well.  

I would never be comfortable with this. I just dont feel like my DH has the intuition that I have about our babies while he is asleep. IMO, little babies belong in between their mother and the edge of the bed, not in between two adults. But, Im also a cuddlewhore and I cant imagine not being able to sleep next to DH.

We would love to sleep under a heavy down comforter and keep the room at about 60 degrees at night. But, we dont. We use only a sheet and a quilt and two pillows that are fairly stiff and very large. Basically, they stay where they are supposed to stay and I sacrifice being able to put a pillow under my arm at night. We go back and forth between the co sleeper and having him in the bed, and did the same with DD. Everyone has to do what is best for them, but I dont know that dads should be sleeping right next to brand new babes.

edited for clarification.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#39 of 41 Old 03-31-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

I would never be comfortable with this. I just dont feel like my DH has the intuition that I have about our babies while he is asleep. IMO, little babies belong in between their mother and the edge of the bed, not in between two adults. But, Im also a cuddlewhore and I cant imagine not being able to sleep next to DH.
We would love to sleep under a heavy down comforter and keep the room at about 60 degrees at night. But, we dont. We use only a sheet and a quilt and two pillows that are fairly stiff and very large. Basically, they stay where they are supposed to stay and I sacrifice being able to put a pillow under my arm at night. We go back and forth between the co sleeper and having him in the bed, and did the same with DD. Everyone has to do what is best for them, but I dont know that dads should be sleeping right next to brand new babes.
edited for clarification.

I know that I don't trust my DH to sleep with the baby in the bed because he's a heavy sleeper and I'm afraid he'll squash the baby.  I agree that babies should be by mamas and not in the middle.

#40 of 41 Old 03-31-2012, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My husband and I are both very light sleepers so this isn't something I've worried about. I never removed any bedding, but at some point I put the first one under her own blanket so she wouldn't get overheated by my body temp, and I always had the second under her own blanket. I don't have extra pillows anyway but if I did I would get rid of those.
#41 of 41 Old 04-03-2012, 06:57 PM

When DD was first born, we spent most of the night with her between me and the edge of the bed, and her in her own blanket.  She's always kept at breast level, not head level, or even just a little lower.  When she slept between us, we pulled the blanket down and she still slept in her own blanket.  We never removed any pillows.  My DH is a very deep sleeper but always has a keen awareness of where she is, not saying that all men are like this.  At around 5 weeks she was sturdy enough to sleep in the same blanket as us, and I'm always very aware of where the blanket is, I've woken up when it became too high.

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page