What bedding do you remove when cosleeping with a newborn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 07-28-2011, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that some people (for example Elizabeth Pantley in The No-Cry Sleep Solution) believe that you should remove all pillows and blankets from your bed if sharing your bed with a newborn. Do you do this? If so, how do you get comfortable to sleep? If not, what do you remove and what do you keep?

I'm just trying to imagine going through winter with no blankets and no pillows and I was hoping to hear more about how that works or doesn't work for other parents.

Thank you!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#2 of 41 Old 07-28-2011, 04:28 AM

Interested to read the responses... I was thinking I'd probably just bundle up in sweats to sleep in the wintertime.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#3 of 41 Old 07-28-2011, 05:44 AM

My friend had a co-sleeper when her son was born, She kept all of her regular bedding on her bed, and he was right next to her at mattress hight on a newborn safe mattress with standard swaddling to keep him warm... She got the smaller size co-sleeper and he outgrew it pretty quickly, and recommended the larger one if I get one.  I haven't purchased one yet, I may just wait and see how the crib goes on the other side of the room, but I am very tempted.  I just have so many other things I need first and need to see how much it all costs!  

wool.gif   homebirth.jpg   treehugger.gif

#4 of 41 Old 07-28-2011, 05:58 AM

Our solution...and it worked beautifully for us...was to put our newborn infant on a firm changing mat with raised sides (it was from Target) while he was in the bed with us.  It kept him well above where my blankets would've been (it had raised sides, maybe 4-5 inches or so).  I was able to have him close to pull him off of it and nurse, then placed him right back on the pad.  This only worked until he could roll over, but it was great til then.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#5 of 41 Old 07-28-2011, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

We've been bedsharing for over 11 years now and have never removed the blankets or pillows. I keep the pillows under my head and the blankets under my arms. Most often we sleep in the spoon position so that I am holding the blankets down around the baby's waist, with their head near my chest.

I would *never* have bedshared if I couldn't keep my pillows and blankets. I can't sleep that way and the whole reason I bedshare is so that I get enough sleep.

#6 of 41 Old 07-28-2011, 07:15 AM

Hi,

We're following Dr. McKenna's book (Sleeping with Your Baby: A Parent's Guide to Cosleeping), which is significantly more moderate than The No-Cry Sleep Solution.  Basically, he recommends a firm mattress with no pillow top type thing over it, and light blankets (No duvet or comforters), and a single pillow for the co-sleeping/bedsharing parent.  I'm using a sheet and a single pillow, and sleep on my side in the 'protective position', which is really quite natural.  My arm is above the baby (so seperates my pillow, which isn't migrating because it's under my head, from the baby), and the sheet is low around my waist.  I dress to make the ambient temperature comfortable, then dress my baby similarly.

I like McKenna's approach because he's very moderate.  His starting point seems to be that almost all parents co-sleep sometimes, and it is important to do it safely, while recognizing that if you make it too prohibitive, people will do it by accident in the wrong place -- the parent whose baby "always sleeps in the crib in the nursery down the hall" might wind up co-sleeping in a recliner, which is quite dangerous, because they fell asleep while nursing.

Best,

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#7 of 41 Old 07-28-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

We've been bedsharing for over 11 years now and have never removed the blankets or pillows. I keep the pillows under my head and the blankets under my arms. Most often we sleep in the spoon position so that I am holding the blankets down around the baby's waist, with their head near my chest.

I would *never* have bedshared if I couldn't keep my pillows and blankets. I can't sleep that way and the whole reason I bedshare is so that I get enough sleep.

This is what we did. Also, I used a small pillow instead of my regular big fluffy one. I also wore a sweatshirt with a slit cut across the chest for easy nursing and to stay warm since I kept the blanket down low. After the newborn phase and he could roll over and such, I was not at all particular. We still cosleep and I use my normal pillow and blankets now. He's 9 months.

It really is amazing how aware you are of them even during sleep. I bet you'll know what feels right and safe when the time comes.

SAHM to Cameron James (b. 10/21/10) and wife to my adorable husband. treehugger.gif
#8 of 41 Old 07-28-2011, 08:27 AM

Pillows stay for us, and a single comforter stays (lightweight) the top sheet however is removed (my one cosleeping scare involved the sheet.) The baby is positioned safely within the bed and usually I move the comforter sideways so it only covers to where I am, not to the side the baby is on.  I dress the baby in a one-piece footed sleeper or a gown depending on age and what is clean.  Only one of my babies has tolerated swaddling, but if yours do, that makes it all SOOOO much easier. 

I don't follow 'the rules' exactly, but I do use a good deal of common sense.  My one big deviation is that I am much more comfortable with a baby near a comforter than a sheet (DS managed to grab my sheet and wrap it over his neck.  I woke up JUST in time- the sheet left that day.  It means I have to wash my duvet cover a lot more often, but I am fine with that. 

#9 of 41 Old 07-29-2011, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Everything stays. I do switch to a smaller pillow rather then my large one with a young baby and then when they are a little older, I switch back. I don't pull my covers up as much as I would either when they are smaller. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#10 of 41 Old 07-30-2011, 04:05 AM

we didn't change much. we usually have two pillows per person and a duvet with a duvet cover. we got rid of the second pillow altogether, and didn't worry about anything else. the duvet is a lightweight, cotton poly fill, so breathable, and the pillows are on the smaller, flatter side anyway. we felt totally safe. in the very early days, you are on hyper alert whether or not they're in bed with you, and by the time you relax a bit, they can move their heads and roll around a little anyway. 

#11 of 41 Old 07-30-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

9 years here and we've done the same thing! It's amazing how God gave us moms the ability to instinctively respond to our babies. This is what has worked for us.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#12 of 41 Old 07-30-2011, 02:55 PM

A Friend gave us one of those little co-sleeper things to put in bed with us and we used that at first when he was tiny, but it gave us very little room on either side, and having to lift him out and put him back when nursing was a pain in the butt- he'd wake up every time I tried to put him back down. I had yet to learn how to nurse while lying down, too. Once I got comfortable with that--it was just so much more natural to curl my body around him and nurse him with us both on our sides & we'd both sleep better. So, we only used the co-sleeper for the first 2 or 3 weeks, and it was outta there! I am glad we had it to start with, though, just because it made me less nervous when he was so small til we got into our groove.

We have a very firm mattress (for my man's back- I used to have padding to make my side comfy for me, but I took that out when we had the baby) and we still have regular pillows ,sheets, blanket & comforter. He's at my breast level so the pillow isn't by his face, and he's such a little heat generator that I usually only have the sheet over us just up to his waist. Also, I bought some foam bumpers that tuck under the fitted sheet that are on the outside edge of the bed so I can have him on either side of me for nursing. I like to turn over & switch sides each time he wakes to eat- I can use either breast while on one side, but it's not very comfortable to use the upper one!

#13 of 41 Old 07-30-2011, 07:33 PM

I think they've been recalled, but when our baby was an infant propped her in a' snuggle nest' between our heads. We didn't alter anything about our own pillows/sheets/duvet...but we did put her higher in the bed. That is to say we scooted our pillows down a tad so that if the comforter was at our shoulders, it was only at her waist. When she outgrew the snuggle nest, we ceased making any alterations to our bed...she just nestled against me, and we slept great that way.
#14 of 41 Old 07-30-2011, 10:13 PM

I also use a small pillow and pull a light blanket just to waist level. All three of us have our own blankets so baby, who stays at chest level between us doesn't get covered. When it was cold, I used a space heater to keep the room extra warm. My husband travels for work quite a bit. When the baby and I are alone, I use a "Trestria" natural latex bumper that fits under the fitted sheet to block the open side of the bed. I love it and would recommend it to any single co-sleepers or couples who want to sleep next to each other with the baby next to mom (would need a king bed though...very crowded with a queen). Baby has started rolling over now, so it gives me peace of mind for naps too. Not sure how I'll modify when she starts crawling.

Emily Lin, mom to Alia (2011). Clinical herbalist and nutritional consultant at Integral Herbalism  (www.facebook.com/IntegralHerbalism). Natural health articles at http://emilylsnelling.hubpages.com .homebirth.jpg treehugger.gif

#15 of 41 Old 08-01-2011, 09:13 AM

We sleep with blankets and pillow(s).  I found that since I was worried about the blankets and pillows when awake, I kept worrying about them when asleep, and if the blanket got too high, I would wake up.  Instantly. 

My best breastfeeding tops were short sleeved (and I was too cheap to buy any), so I also wore 'arm cozies' recycled from an old shirt in the winter so that I could sleep comfortably with my arms outside the blankets, which helps keep me in control of the position of the blanket without having to think about it. 

#16 of 41 Old 08-01-2011, 10:34 AM

I love your arm cozy idea, Ma Cactus!  I'm already eyeing an old shirt.

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#17 of 41 Old 08-01-2011, 11:35 AM

I have one pillow under my head, and a light blanket.

Sometimes I have another pillow for between my knees.

#18 of 41 Old 08-02-2011, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Cactus View Post

We sleep with blankets and pillow(s).  I found that since I was worried about the blankets and pillows when awake, I kept worrying about them when asleep, and if the blanket got too high, I would wake up.  Instantly. 

My best breastfeeding tops were short sleeved (and I was too cheap to buy any), so I also wore 'arm cozies' recycled from an old shirt in the winter so that I could sleep comfortably with my arms outside the blankets, which helps keep me in control of the position of the blanket without having to think about it. 

Ma Cactus! You are so crazy with your arm cozies! Ha ha! ( no worries, readers: Ma Cactus is my twinnie, so I can laugh at her:))
We got rid of the top sheet and just use a lightweight down comforter with a duvet. DH wears long sleeves because the blanket is always at waist level. He has a normal pillow, and I use a dog-bone pillow (great for low back support for the reluctant side-sleeper as well! I have 2) We were super nervous with him in bed as a newborn and now I wish we had relaxed more! I finally read the cosleeping chapter in the Dr Sears sleep book and that helped.
Good luck, relax and enjoy

"That's the way it is, if that's the way it seems to you."

"Cosi e se vi pare."

Luigi Pirandello

#19 of 41 Old 08-02-2011, 08:37 AM

I thought for sure I would read our solution, but maybe it's not as practical or common as I'd thought! We sleep on a memory foam mattress, with baby in between us, where the "snuggle nest" is situated, and DH and I sleep with separate covers. Our twins slept one on each side of me, for ease of nursing and it just made sense for DH and I to have our own blankets (his is a sleeping bag). We actually like the set up, we can do our own temp control. The baby sleeps next to me, usually with his head on my arm, and sometimes in the snuggle nest. The control freak in me likes the barrier of the nest, protecting baby from his rolling daddy and twin siblings! We also kept our pillows with all three children and at 10 months, the baby sometimes sleeps on his back on my pillow, with my arm supporting his back making sure he doesn't roll. 

Also, it's amazing to me how my sleep has changed after becoming a mother. As other mama's have posted, you instincts really kick in when co-sleeping. Before children I tossed and turned and was a really deep sleeper. These days I sleep very still, and wake up to the slightest noise.

Nikki, mama to DD and DS1 twins.gif (6/07) and DS2 babyboy.gif (10/10) 
#20 of 41 Old 08-02-2011, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am significantly more paranoid about co-sleeping than most and also my son seemed bound and determined to try to suffocate himself.  After waking up with him with a thick blanket covering his face...twice...we tucked the blanket into the bottom of the bed so it only went up around our waists and then put a sweatshirt on to keep warm on top.  Then I used a small and firm pillow and kept that fairly far from his face. He slept between me and the wall and DH slept on the other side of me.  Even now at three, he tries to bury his head in pillows and it drives me nuts!

#21 of 41 Old 08-02-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post

Even now at three, he tries to bury his head in pillows and it drives me nuts!

I gave up with my three year old.  He's taken to wrapping the blanket completely around himself and ducking his head under the pillow at night.  I invested in a couple super-light breathable pillows for him because it made me paranoid.  I also put up a heavy duty ceiling fan AND have a window fan in blowing fresh air over the bed.  I talked to my pediatrician about it yesterday, he laughed and said he didn't worry much about  three year old, they often put a pillow over their heads to sleep, but they have enough body mass (usually- and certainly in my DS's case) that there isn't a way to trap air under the pillow- even a little crack will  be enough air exchange for them. His worry is with tiny babies who don't have enough body mass to create much air exchange or who might have parents cover them and who aren't strong enough to move themselves or a pillow for better air exchange.   The other thing he said to watch for  is a child who snores a lot- in that case, he feels it is best to keep them in snuggle sacks instead of with blankets and pillows for a longer time to help preserve a good airway,

#22 of 41 Old 08-02-2011, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post

I gave up with my three year old.  He's taken to wrapping the blanket completely around himself and ducking his head under the pillow at night.  I invested in a couple super-light breathable pillows for him because it made me paranoid.  I also put up a heavy duty ceiling fan AND have a window fan in blowing fresh air over the bed.  I talked to my pediatrician about it yesterday, he laughed and said he didn't worry much about  three year old, they often put a pillow over their heads to sleep, but they have enough body mass (usually- and certainly in my DS's case) that there isn't a way to trap air under the pillow- even a little crack will  be enough air exchange for them. His worry is with tiny babies who don't have enough body mass to create much air exchange or who might have parents cover them and who aren't strong enough to move themselves or a pillow for better air exchange.   The other thing he said to watch for  is a child who snores a lot- in that case, he feels it is best to keep them in snuggle sacks instead of with blankets and pillows for a longer time to help preserve a good airway,

Thanks insidevoice!  He does snore.  He had apnea as a baby from reflux too which is half the reason I got so paranoid.  I think I need to get the snoring checked out.  I am wondering if he needs his adenoids out or something...

#23 of 41 Old 08-03-2011, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

I used a small pillow and kept the blankets down just above my waist.  I didn't use my blankets for them.  Every night I wore a super-soft poly fleece shirt to keep my top half warm.  This felt warm and comfortable against my skin.  

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#24 of 41 Old 08-03-2011, 11:03 AM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

I never removed anything.  I have 2 small pillows and a thin blanket and sheet on my bed.  I am a pretty light sleeper and am always aware of the position of the blankets and pillows and baby, so everything has always worked out.  I would not use a heavy comforter that is for sure.

One thing we are trying to do now is replace all of our bedding including our mattress with natural products that are free of petroleum chemicals and flame retardants.  I wish I would have known about that stuff when DD was a baby so she would not have been exposed to my traditional mattress and pillows.  Our first step is to replace our pillows with wool pillows, I already got a cotton and organic cotton mattress protector to use until we can afford a natural/organic matress.

#25 of 41 Old 08-04-2011, 05:57 PM

I used to place the nursing pillow around her feet until she was 6 months old. To tell us that that is where she is. I use only a light pillow. All other pillows go to the foot of the bed. We used only thin bedsheets for "comforters", and then, wrapped them around us. Just these past 2 days. it somehow feels comfortable to use a light comforter over all of us. We don't pull it up high, though, and her head is just below mine; just right for nursing, haha.

CDing, BFing, co-sleeping, combination of BWing and stroller-using mama to DD, 05/2010. Pursuing a back to nature lifestyle.
#26 of 41 Old 08-06-2011, 08:04 AM

I sleep with my daughter with the normal number of pillows, but she sleeps between my knees and shoulders so she can nurse at night.  I use blankets over my legs and sometimes over my back, but not over the baby.  I sleep topless for the skin to skin connection and to make sure my body keeps the baby at the right temperature.  We just set the central HVAC to between 67 degrees (winter)and 71 degrees (summer) at night.  This has worked well for over a year.

Summer, wife to DH (07/99), SAHMama to DS (07/08) & DD (07/10).
#27 of 41 Old 08-08-2011, 09:44 PM

What about transitioning out of co-sleeping? This down the road, but I can't find any literature on this issue. Eventually I want my bed back for me and the hubby. Mom of 15 month old.
#28 of 41 Old 08-09-2011, 06:29 AM

We didn't change anything with DD.  I've been mindful of how high the comforter goes, but haven't been too concerned.  We haven't had a scare and I feel she's completely safe between the two of us.  I usually sleep with my arm around her and can wake up in an instant if she begins to fuss.  She's now 7.5 months old.  It really hasn't been a problem at all!

#29 of 41 Old 08-10-2011, 08:10 AM

When DD was very young (0-4 months) she had her own blanket (warm, but not fluffy).  The bed we were using at that time was big enough that she could have a "side" all to herself.  That way the comforters and pillows that we (adults) used never really got too close to her. 

Now (she is 16 months old) I just tuck the blanket around her like I would with any child (not around her face, of course).  She doesn't use pillows, but they are there on the bed for me.  If it is winter than the blankets are big and warm.  We've never had problems with it.

#30 of 41 Old 08-10-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post

Everything stays. I do switch to a smaller pillow rather then my large one with a young baby and then when they are a little older, I switch back. I don't pull my covers up as much as I would either when they are smaller. 

this. we/ i just watch the comforter. and dress more warmly myself when needed..

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page