anyone use any kind of intercom/walkie talkie when kids transition to their own room? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-08-2011, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, my ds has always coslept, and we thought he'd be in his own room by the time he was 3 or so. Now he is 8 (!) and just now interested in sleeping in his own room. Great timing because we have a new baby coming soon. He wants a baby  monitor in his room so he can tell us if he is scared or needs something, but they just don't seem to make 2 way baby monitors. I couldn't respond to him.  Plus, I'm very pregnant and his room is on the other side of the house, so it would take me a few minutes to get there.  Thought about a walkie talkie, but they are noisey and not meant to be pluged in all night. Do they make anything we could use? Any ideas?

#2 of 3 Old 09-25-2011, 10:51 PM

a friend suggested an ingenius idea for my lo who was too scared to get out of bed to come find me... and that was to get a plug in door bell... They sell them for around $20 at the hardware store. The push button can be glued or stuck on with self adhesive on the night stand, and the doorbell unit gets plugged into a regular outlet in the room where you are. Then at night if they need me I ring the door bell, and I can go to him. Ok, right... it doesn't solve the issue of being able to talk to one another. But it might be another option.

#3 of 3 Old 09-27-2011, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestion. We tried a few cheap intercoms but returned them all. They were like walkie-talkies-- staticy when not talking. I saw a few baby monitors out there that had a "talk-to-baby" feature but they were all around $150. I won one off eBay. It works pretty well (a little staticy--probably why it was on eBay but I got it for $9).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page