3 and still cosleeping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2011, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love cosleeping my 3 year old sleeps too wild now and I can't get a good night's rest. Not to mention the fact that he still wakes up sometimes and I find him in my bed. nono02.gifHis bed is in my bedroom since his bedroom is on the further end of the house and I don't like sleeping that far apart. I am toying with the idea of purchasing him a full size bed and sleeping in his room on the floor to get him accustomed to sleeping in there. 

I am cranky, achy and so over co-sleeping at this point. I loved it before but now, Mama needs some rest! Anyone have any issues getting their little ones to stay in their own bed? How did you handle that? What about when they woke up at night and climbed in bed with you?

My DS is also having major temper tantrums these days (something I think he has picked up from daycare) so he fights me to stay in his own bed...even though my bed is 3 feet away. 

Any thoughts?

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011, 07:04 PM

We moved ds1 around 3yo. We set up a twin bed in his room and dh sleeps on the floor next to him (on a camp mattress or layered quilts). i know it sounds weird but dh would be happier sleeping on a rock than on a pillow top and I'm way too active a sleeper for him to get any rest with me. When dh is out of town ds1 occasionally ends up in bed with ds2 and I but it's rare. His bedroom is a short ways away so I can easily respond if he wakes when dh isn't here.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
Old 09-15-2011, 03:37 AM

I can't be much help except to commiserate. In fact, I came here to start a thread about it and then saw yours. I'm 22 weeks pregnant, and my little guy likes to sleep practically on top of me. It's not working for my posture at all. He, too, has had increased tantrums, and he hasn't been to daycare for 2 years. He just really seems to need me--especially at night. I'm eagerly awaiting responses to your post!

Me crochetsmilie.gif ife to DH geek.gif; Mommy to DS (5) biggrinbounce.gif , DS (4) jog.gif, and DD (2) diaper.gif, and DS (newborn) babyboy.gif.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:32 AM

My DS is also a very active sleeper.  When he was around 3 I moved him to the floor next to our mattress on a futon (we put the mattress down on the floor) and explained he needed to stay on his futon because the bed was just too small for the three of us.  He stayed on the futon and I think it was successful because we moved our mattress down so he was pretty much still sleeping with us, just not on our bed (which was a little higher than the futon).  Now, he's 6 and he's been sleeping on his futon next to our bed ever since (some nights he'll sleep in his room, maybe one night a week now) and our bed is now back on the frame with the box spring.  I'm a big believer in co-rooming and co-sleeping (if possible), I don't see any reason to play musical beds or to move a child out when they aren't ready.  Is there a way you could move your mattress to the floor with his mattress next to it?  Or move the beds together so he's still kind of sleeping with you at least for now?

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

User Tag List