Breastfeeding & co-sleeping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-01-2011, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am posting this in both the breastfeeding forum and here since this may be the better place:

My DD is 12 weeks old and needs to be burped during our nursing sessions.  If not, she usually spits up at the end.  (Maybe I have a fast let down??)  When we do co-sleep with her she will latch on and off and drift in and out of sleep, but often is awakened by gas or the need to spit up.  I have tried to sit up with her periodically so she can burp, but then she doesn't seem to get back to sleep as easily. I have also tried rolling her onto her side to pat her back, but she rarely burps in that position. 

Any suggestions?

Expecting first child1sttri.gif with DP in August 2011joy.gif eager to be a breastfeeding, winner.jpg baby-wearing femalesling.GIF mama! delayedvax.gif
#2 of 6 Old 10-02-2011, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

I would love ideas too - same happening with my baby!

#3 of 6 Old 10-02-2011, 06:53 PM

My guy had a few nights of that happening--it wasn't a chronic issue.  I put him onto a pillow, so he was elevated a little, next to me.

Living in Alaska with my hubby and our ray of sunshine, born August 2010.
#4 of 6 Old 10-04-2011, 08:49 PM

We had the same issue. I prop the girls heads up a little and place a burp cloth over the tiny pillow. I actually use a "bed wedge" that came with a co-sleeper but I put it in our bed.

Wife to DH  dh_malesling.GIF Momma to twin girls slingtwin.gif cloth diapering, no vaxing, family bed, organic living, eating and wearing family! treehugger.gif

#5 of 6 Old 10-05-2011, 05:08 PM

Our friends taught us a burping technique that worked better. Place both hands around baby´s tummy and back, sit heer on you leg looking towards your other leg and lift him and seat him slowly but repeatedly. Also, maybe she doens´t like sleeping next to you? Maybe it is too much distraction?

#6 of 6 Old 10-07-2011, 04:49 PM

my (now 7 month old) babe did this for MONTHS. It was such a drag because I was happy lying down and feeding her whenever she woke and falling back to sleep, but I ended up having to sit up and and feed her so I was awake enough to burp her.

It did end...maybe around 4 months? Now we happily feed lying down. (except for the part where she wakes up and wants to play for 2 hours...but that's another story, the rest of the night is bliss)

I'm not sure what you can do about it now, I never figured it out. But it probably will end! I ended up just working out how I could work with it in the meantime!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page