Exclusively breastfeeding, co-sleeping infants = MORE sleep for mothers. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-07-2011, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just found this article while searching for other things. It gives considerable evidence that exclusively breastfeeding moms who are co-sleeping get about 40 more minutes of sleep a day. http://www.infantrisk.com/content/nighttime-breastfeeding-and-depression

Apparently there's been a trend to tell moms at risk of depression (or who are depressed) not to breastfeed at night, but to formula feed to get them more sleep. It seems that's a false assumption. I'm really glad no one suggested that to me when I had postpartum depression!

I guess the bottom line is that parents of young infants are indeed sleep deprived and all you can do is minimize it.

Ginger Bean likes this.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#2 of 7 Old 10-08-2011, 10:53 AM

I believe it. I can't imagine having to make up bottles in the middle of the night. The most I can do is roll over.

first-time mama to a babyf.gif born 9/2010
#3 of 7 Old 10-08-2011, 01:52 PM

Thanks for the article. I'll pass that on to my mom. She does a lot of speaking on post partum depression.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#4 of 7 Old 10-08-2011, 03:50 PM

In my experience, of nearly going insane by the 3 month mark, this was completely NOT the case. I don't think you can really generalize. It depends on the individual woman, her sleeping style, the way the baby sleeps and lots of other factors. 

I know for a fact it wasn't helpful to hear about how much more sleep I was getting due to bf, because I heard the line plenty of times. Nope, it just made me want to cry. 

#5 of 7 Old 10-08-2011, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Well, if you read the study, the sleep difference is 40 minutes on average. That's not huge, but it is enough to say that stopping breastfeeding and starting night bottle feeding won't decrease your risk for postpartum depression, which has been promoted for moms who have (or who are at risk to have) postpartum depression.

Hannah32: What the research doesn't say is that parents will feel well rested. And with everything, there are outliers. My exclusively breastfed 1st child slept 5 hours straight from birth. (I still got PPD, by the way, so it wasn't sleep.) To understand the research you have to realize that they are averaging over a group of parents. Thus, it's not saying that every single mom will get 40 minutes more of sleep. It's saying that as a group, co-sleeping, breastfeeding moms get more sleep. (And for your outlier child, would it have been better if you'd given up breastfeeding and started night bottle feeding?)

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#6 of 7 Old 10-08-2011, 05:47 PM

The study is a little silly, because it completely ignores the idea that dad could prepare a bottle and let the mom get some uninterrupted chunks of sleep. Seems like the study pretty much pretends that fathers don't exist. 

I still haven't figured out if what happened to me was PPD or not, but I do know that lack of sleep deprivation was well into the danger zone. I would have been better off if I hadn't been convinced that using a little formula was to be avoided at all costs. 

#7 of 7 Old 10-08-2011, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

This is a summary of a number of studies, not just one. And one did, indeed, include dads. The major point of all the studies was that formula feeding at night doesn't get mom more sleep like researchers thought.

It would be interesting to compare the sleep of mothers who have partners who do the bottle feeding at night.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page