Milwulkees awful anti cosleeping ad - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 85 Old 11-15-2011, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

http://news.yahoo.com/milwaukee-runs-provocative-ads-wake-parents-dangers-co-213117311.html
I cannot believe how misleading this is!

The second-leading cause of infant mortality in Milwaukee is SIDS, or sudden infant death syndrome, which often results from  ”unsafe sleep,” according to the health department’s website. A form of “unsafe sleep” is bed-sharing with parents.

Why do they have to say that SIDS equals suffocation?

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

#2 of 85 Old 11-15-2011, 03:38 PM

i saw this too. it was on the front cover of yahoo. i didn't read the entire article, but i found the ad to be pretty misleading. i was pretty shocked at the imagery they used. just wow!

Mama to DS REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(March 2010) and DD  baby.gif  (June 2012)

#3 of 85 Old 11-15-2011, 03:38 PM

This ad makes me so so angry. Have they looked into who has funded all of the studies about this. I am sure it is companies that make baby furniture!

#4 of 85 Old 11-15-2011, 04:02 PM

Not only do I find this ad completely absurd and infuriating, people are reposting it on Facebook to the point where it has made me realize who needs to come off my friends list. I hate the fact that it is getting so much attention and making people question those of us who choose to cosleep safely.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#5 of 85 Old 11-15-2011, 04:28 PM

SO counterintuitive: Milwaukee has higher infant death rates than third world countries.  Well OF COURSE!  People co-sleep in third world countries.  Hence, they have lower infant death rates.  Next they'll be saying puppies can't sleep with the mama dog.

blsilva and dogretro like this.
#6 of 85 Old 11-15-2011, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I saw it. So terrible.

My second baby was a non-sleeper. Bringing him to bed with me literally saved my life because I was able to get some sleep in between his erratic nighttime napping schedule.

And I don't know about you guys but I used the bed so that he was never in any danger of me over-lying him. I put him closer to the solid headboard and I scooched down. He had his own covers and I had mine. I had pillow, he didn't. And healthy babies protest if you accidentally squeeze them.
#7 of 85 Old 11-15-2011, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

I saw it. So terrible.
My second baby was a non-sleeper. Bringing him to bed with me literally saved my life because I was able to get some sleep in between his erratic nighttime napping schedule.
And I don't know about you guys but I used the bed so that he was never in any danger of me over-lying him. I put him closer to the solid headboard and I scooched down. He had his own covers and I had mine. I had pillow, he didn't. And healthy babies protest if you accidentally squeeze them.

Ain't that the truth!

If we had not co-slept, we the parents would not have got any sleep for the first few months.

#8 of 85 Old 11-15-2011, 06:40 PM

Oh my gosh!! I just saw this article on Yahoo! and was appalled!!  The picture is just horrific!

#9 of 85 Old 11-16-2011, 10:48 AM

So offensive.

Cuss.gif

The thing that makes me the most angry is the fact that new moms, especially first-time moms, are so worried to begin with. It's telling them "the thing that feels the most natural to you in the world is dangerous."

Ugh.

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#10 of 85 Old 11-16-2011, 06:42 PM

I came over here and logged into my Mothering community (which I haven't done in a LONG time) because of a nasty little debate going on on FB about this. I'm so over it. I too, would like to see who is the sponsor of this so-called public health campaign. Anyone know?  Because the $600 crib that we bought in our pre-baby excitement, never got used anyway, but then was recalled after more than 2 babies died in it as a result of poor construction. (Details are sketchy as the parents have settled out of court, so we really don't know how many babies died.) Simplicity is out of business. Good thing for us, the only thing that slept in it consistently was Bear, Eeyore and Dolly. :-)

The ad is so offensive. Mothering Mag always did a good job of publishing the best research on the real risk factors. Why are people so into these scare tactics? The same people who would criticize me for co-sleeping are the same people who give up on breastfeeding, feed their toddlers crap and over-medicate for "behavior." It's just so irritating.  The trouble is, I feel like "big brother" is watching us all the time too- when ads like this gain pop culture status, those of us who don't fall into line become in danger of being accused of abuse or worse. So while the individuals who disagree with me I can deal with- it is the larger societal implications I struggle with. 

#11 of 85 Old 11-16-2011, 07:20 PM

i cant beleive they seem to say that SIDS and suffocation are the same thing...a baby could suffocate in a bed ...(if a drunk  person is maybe also in bed with them and baby is very very young)....any baby can die of SIDS anywhere - unless i have missed something - they really dont know much about WHY SIDS occurs  correct?  

However, they do know that it happens more often in homes where one or more parent smokes  cigarettes.  Maybe Milwaukee should set up a free 'Nicorette smoking cessation" hotline - interesting how that was not mentioned - maybe the picture should have the cute baby cuddled up with a pack of smokes.....

ThinkGlobalMama likes this.

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#12 of 85 Old 11-17-2011, 06:08 AM

I'm so glad that someone posted about this here. I live in WI and could not freaking believe this.

First of all, isn't it the case that lower SIDS rates occur when people co-sleep? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11245994?dopt=Abstract/

Second of all, has any research been done at all to find out how many people in Milwaukee are actually co-sleeping? It seems like there's a HUGE assumption here that b/c the mortality rate is higher, *obviously* it must be a bunch of backward co-sleeping freaks causing the problem. But where's the data to show that there's a correlation between these two things in the Milwaukee population?

Infant mortality can be tied to a number of factors ranging from parents who smoke to children born into impossible poverty. Where's the data on poverty rates and their link to the mortality rate in Milwaukee? Where's the data on how many Milwaukee parents are breastfeeding, or doing other things that help reduce infant mortality rates?

Why didn't the money spent on these stupid ads go to breastfeeding initiatives, infant care education courses, or basic food programs that would provide breastfeeding mamas and babes with decent nutrition?

This just seems like a colossal waste of money and something that is absolutely not evidence based.

As for the idiotic imagery of these ads, I can assure everyone out there that a responsible co-sleeping parent is much, much safer than a meat clever next to a baby in bed. Sheesh.

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

#13 of 85 Old 11-17-2011, 08:30 AM

I did a little Googling, because I couldn't understand why Milwaukee could have such a high rate of infant mortality attributed to co-sleeping.  I found lots of news articles reporting deaths of children.  And in those articles, I found lots of mothers/caregivers who were drinking, lots of babies sleeping with people other than their mothers, lots of deaths that occurred on couches.

It seems that rather than educate women on how to co-sleep APPROPRIATELY, they'd rather just assume that all mothers are stupid and should put their kids in cribs, because they are too ignorant to grasp the concept of safe co-sleeping.

It's akin to abstinence-only education, and it ticks me off.  Especially since I'm 32 weeks pregnant and now I have to listen to uninformed people who see ads like this attack me for co-sleeping.

Oddly enough, the biggest infant mortality problem in Milwaukee isn't co-sleeping, it's deaths attributed to poor health care.

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

#14 of 85 Old 11-17-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:

Oddly enough, the biggest infant mortality problem in Milwaukee isn't co-sleeping, it's deaths attributed to poor health care.

This is totally what I'm saying. Why didn't the time and resources that went into those billboards go into free clinics or helping low income folks access health care?

#15 of 85 Old 11-17-2011, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Alright, I'll bite.  Having lived in Milwaukee in one of the zip codes the campaign is targeting, and having worked in child welfare there, I don't see a huge problem with their anti-co-sleeping campaign at all.  I'm also a co-sleeper.  Yes, the campaign in simplistic and does not lay out all of the facts, but it targets a specific population and I'm certain it will save lives in Milwaukee.  The city is impoverished with nearly half of children growing up in poverty.  The violent crime rates are high.  Breastfeeding rates are extremely low.  Drug and alcohol abuse rates are very high.  Teen pregnancy rates are high.  None of those things mix that well with *safe* bedsharing.

It would be really great if there could be a comprehensive plan in Milwaukee to teach parents about safely bedsharing, but the resources do not exist.  It would be fantastic if Milwaukee could address their serious issues with poverty, access to health care, breastfeeding, crime, etc., but that is going to take time and why should more babies be suffocated by drunk relatives sleeping on a couch while everyone waits for Milwaukee to make improvements to the quality of life there?  With super low rates of breastfeeding, high rates of addiction, and people just straight up not having access to things like mattresses for mom and baby due to poverty, I can see why people would want to start a campaign that targets the reality of the situation for a significant portion of the population. 

This isn't about crib companies making money or any other silly conspiracy theory.  It is about the well-being of parents and children of a city with a completely unacceptable infant mortality rate.  It turns out it is actually about people who *care* about parents and kids in Milwaukee trying to make a difference in suffocation rates, and who hope fewer parents will wake up to suffocated babies.  If the city had the resources to end poverty, crime, and addiction and support every mother in breastfeeding and other parenting goals, they could work on a more comprehensive plan to educate the public on safe bedsharing.  Obviously they don't, so they're doing what they can to decrease the infant mortality rates which is to throw out a blanket statement that co-sleeping is unsafe.  Which it happens to be for a very large portion of the city. 

Plenty of bedsharing, elitist, middle class faux hippies love to scream about how awful these campaigns are but your reality isn't the reality of plenty of other parents living in Milwaukee and elsewhere. 

Owen'nZoe, Mamja, Honey693 and 2 others like this.
#16 of 85 Old 11-17-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partaria View Post

This is totally what I'm saying. Why didn't the time and resources that went into those billboards go into free clinics or helping low income folks access health care?

Because it isn't just about health care.  The cost of this campaign is probably about 1/10000000th of the cost of changing all the factors that impact safe bedsharing in the city.  They're trying to get the most bang for their buck because they have very limited resources.

Owen'nZoe, Mamja, Honey693 and 1 others like this.
#17 of 85 Old 11-17-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbirdlady View Post

It seems that rather than educate women on how to co-sleep APPROPRIATELY, they'd rather just assume that all mothers are stupid and should put their kids in cribs, because they are too ignorant to grasp the concept of safe co-sleeping.

I don't think this campaign is assuming that mothers are too ignorant to grasp the concept of safe bedsharing.  I think that the campaign is addressing the reality that there are a lot of factors that contribute to safe or unsafe beyond just *education.* 

_ktg_ likes this.
#18 of 85 Old 11-17-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partaria View Post
Where's the data on poverty rates and their link to the mortality rate in Milwaukee?

The mortality rate among babies/children in Milwaukee is apparently tied to particular zip codes, and is heavily skewed toward the African American population (which has more than double the mortality rate for babies as Caucasians.  LINK)  Further, the mortality rate there is linked to socioeconomic status (Link for that one - here.)

Based on all of the studies, it looks like Milwaukee's biggest issue in terms of infant mortality is health care, followed by smoking.  There's also alcohol and drug abuse mixed in there as well.  I mean, handing out Pack and Plays is all good, especially since there are people who cannot afford cribs, except when the mom doesn't have access to decent health care, or is drunk.  Because I'm sure someone who has a drinking problem is going to stop before they pass out and think, "I need to put the baby in the Pack and Play before I pass out."  (If you google the news stories for individual deaths, one of them was smothered by a grandmother on a couch who had had EIGHT beers.  I'm sorry, but I don't think it's fair to label something like that a co-sleeping death.)

And after reading all of that data, I'm even more ticked that these morons decided it would be a better idea to have an anti-co-sleeping campaign, rather than focus a campaign on maternal health care, smoking cessation, etc.  I agree with you that the money could have been MUCH better spent elsewhere.

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

#19 of 85 Old 11-17-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post

Plenty of bedsharing, elitist, middle class faux hippies love to scream about how awful these campaigns are but your reality isn't the reality of plenty of other parents living in Milwaukee and elsewhere. 

My reality is none of the above. Except for the bed sharing during the early months of our babies life.

Again, they should not have played the SIDS card. It is unbelievably misleading.

#20 of 85 Old 11-17-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:

To be fair, this doesnt even remotely apply to some of the people concerned about this ad. Honestly, this ad has been all over facebook and I have had to defend cosleeping to several of my family members and middle class, faux hippy friends. Ive seen several people put it up on their facebooks and blogs with comments like "Hello! This is why cribs were invented..." or "I breastfed my kid for two years and never ever let him sleep in our bed even though it would have been more convenient. Safety first!" No, this is why drug and alcohol intervention programs were invented.

I understand that Milwaukee has a ridiculously high rate of infant death, but this ad has gone far and wide and at this point, it is all over the country on social media form. And it sucks. Ill bet it wont really help the death rate that much, and there will be a lot of terrified first time moms who are already having to defend their decision to co sleep to their husband or other family members. All Im saying is, I dont think the target audience is the one that is going to be the most affected by this ad.

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#21 of 85 Old 11-17-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblingBrooks View Post

My reality is none of the above. Except for the bed sharing during the early months of our babies life.

Again, they should not have played the SIDS card. It is unbelievably misleading.

Okay.  So that may be fine for your culture and your community, but who are you (collective you, not specifically you OP) to say that bedsharing is the right thing for a community plagued by addiction, poverty, lack of access to health care/breastfeeding support, etc?  In the end, every parent wants to wake up to a living baby, even if that parent happens to struggle with addiction or does not have a safe place to bedshare.  So what may be right for a significant portion of your community may not be right for a significant portion of another community. 

And "playing the SIDS card"?  Please.  I don't think anyone is trying to be misleading.  Could they have used the word "suffocation" instead?  Yes.  But does it really matter?  Probably just to bedsharing purists who don't want to be lumped into some campaign going on in some other community that really doesn't affect them whatsoever.  If a person outside of the community cannot see that there can be a benefit to  doing something differently in a community with a different set of needs, that is too bad.  And to get on one's high horse preaching about how appalling the campaign is ignores the needs of a specific community.

#22 of 85 Old 11-17-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

To be fair, this doesnt even remotely apply to some of the people concerned about this ad. Honestly, this ad has been all over facebook and I have had to defend cosleeping to several of my family members and middle class, faux hippy friends. Ive seen several people put it up on their facebooks and blogs with comments like "Hello! This is why cribs were invented..." or "I breastfed my kid for two years and never ever let him sleep in our bed even though it would have been more convenient. Safety first!" No, this is why drug and alcohol intervention programs were invented.
I understand that Milwaukee has a ridiculously high rate of infant death, but this ad has gone far and wide and at this point, it is all over the country on social media form. And it sucks. Ill bet it wont really help the death rate that much, and there will be a lot of terrified first time moms who are already having to defend their decision to co sleep to their husband or other family members. All Im saying is, I dont think the target audience is the one that is going to be the most affected by this ad.

Milwaukee has been doing this campaign for several years with absolutely no national attention. Their old billboards featured the head board of the family bed as a grave stone for babies.  The national attention is brand new.  The ad targets Milwaukee.  I truly believe it will save lives in Milwaukee.  To put that priority under the priority of you or I not to be bothered by friends, family, or people on FB questioning our choices seems unfair to parents for whom this campaign can benefit.  I don't have a problem educating people about safe bed-sharing.  In fact, I am happy that the media attention from things like this gives me an opportunity to explain how bedsharing can be safe and can work out.  

Owen'nZoe likes this.
#23 of 85 Old 11-17-2011, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, it does matter. They should have used the word suffication, because it is not at all the same as SIDS.

A better Ad would have shown the baby with the real reason they are dying. Drugs and alcohol.
The campaign does not create a thought process of "if I abuse a substance and in the intoxicated state lay on a baby, I will kill that baby".
Instead, it states loud and clear that sleeping with the baby is the problem.
It is likely that education and good critical thinking skills are going to be lacking in the area targeted, so seeing through the Ad is not going to happen for most.

#24 of 85 Old 11-17-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Yes, it does matter. They should have used the word suffication, because it is not at all the same as SIDS.

A better Ad would have shown the baby with the real reason they are dying. Drugs and alcohol.
The campaign does not create a thought process of "if I abuse a substance and in the intoxicated state lay on a baby, I will kill that baby".
Instead, it states loud and clear that sleeping with the baby is the problem.
It is likely that education and good critical thinking skills are going to be lacking in the area targeted, so seeing through the Ad is not going to happen for most.

Well send them a letter then explaining the proper terminology.  I'm serious.  I doubt anyone would object to it. 

As to your second point, I think you are right about education.  To say that critical thinking skills are lacking in a community seems pretty bold and condescending.  However, if you do believe that, I would assume you would also believe the community members not to have the critical thinking skills nor education to be able to pick up on all the "rules" that make bedsharing safe. 

Not to mention, it is not just drugs and alcohol causing bedsharing deaths.  If it were, the campaign would probably target that.  There are a billion other factors including people other than mom bedsharing, low rates of breastfeeding, people not having safe sleeping surfaces and sleeping instead on couches, with numerous children in bed close to baby, etc. 

Owen'nZoe and Honey693 like this.
#25 of 85 Old 11-17-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:

Milwaukee has been doing this campaign for several years with absolutely no national attention. Their old billboards featured the head board of the family bed as a grave stone for babies.  The national attention is brand new.  The ad targets Milwaukee.  I truly believe it will save lives in Milwaukee.  To put that priority under the priority of you or I not to be bothered by friends, family, or people on FB questioning our choices seems unfair to parents for whom this campaign can benefit.  I don't have a problem educating people about safe bed-sharing.  In fact, I am happy that the media attention from things like this gives me an opportunity to explain how bedsharing can be safe and can work out.  

In 2009
50% of the infant deaths were due to complications after premature births.
20% are due to birth defects and their complications
and
20% died because of SIDS or an unsafe sleep environment

So, it seems to me that the MAJOR problem in Milwaukee is premature birth. WHY are all these babies being born prematurely? How much money are they spending to educate women on ways to help make sure their baby is born full term?

Note how many programs the city has for "Safe sleep" vs. how many programs the city has for education about drug, alcohol, and tobacco use during pregnancy.
http://city.milwaukee.gov/SafeSleep
http://city.milwaukee.gov/Prematurity.htm

Why is there now awareness campaign about the insanely high rate of premature births?
In Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, and District of Columbia the top priority for awareness has been smoking cessation and a focus on getting mother's prenatal care to prevent premature birth (the # 1 cause of infant death in all four locations.). Since this is the top cause of infant death in Miluakee, why do you think they are spending less time and money on prenatal awareness and smoking cessation than they are focusing on "Safe Sleep"? It just doesnt make the most sense.

SIDS happens. 

#26 of 85 Old 11-17-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:

But the billboard doesn't say "Hey Milwaukee parents who tend to smoke, drink, and do drugs: co-sleeping with that kind of lifestyle kills." It just says, basically "co-sleeping, in and of itself, kills."

And that's just not true.

I mean, why not have drunk driving prevention billboards that tell people that driving, in and of itself, is a horrible idea and no one should do it? Don't even bother to mention the alcohol.

Also, for the record, there are plenty of bedsharers out there who aren't elitist, middle class faux hippies who also love to scream about this.

AngelKissedKids likes this.

#27 of 85 Old 11-17-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post
In 2009
50% of the infant deaths were due to complications after premature births.
20% are due to birth defects and their complications
and
20% died because of SIDS or an unsafe sleep environment
So, it seems to me that the MAJOR problem in Milwaukee is premature birth. WHY are all these babies being born prematurely? How much money are they spending to educate women on ways to help make sure their baby is born full term?
Note how many programs the city has for "Safe sleep" vs. how many programs the city has for education about drug, alcohol, and tobacco use during pregnancy.
http://city.milwaukee.gov/SafeSleep
http://city.milwaukee.gov/Prematurity.htm
Why is there now awareness campaign about the insanely high rate of premature births?
In Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, and District of Columbia the top priority for awareness has been smoking cessation and a focus on getting mother's prenatal care to prevent premature birth (the # 1 cause of infant death in all four locations.). Since this is the top cause of infant death in Miluakee, why do you think they are spending less time and money on prenatal awareness and smoking cessation than they are focusing on "Safe Sleep"? It just doesnt make the most sense.

Premature birth isn't a matter of educating women on ways to make sure their babies are born full term.  I've gone into preterm labor twice...at 35 weeks and 29 weeks.  I'm educated on preterm birth and educated in general.  There is very little information on why preterms births occur and how to prevent it.  It is a little insulting to suggest that those of us who have had premature babies could have prevented it if someone had just spent some money to educate us. 

That said, lack of prenatal care, stress, substance abuse, poor nutrition, poverty, etc., do contribute to preterm birth and I agree Milwaukee and other cities should focus on those factors as well.  Preterm birth is much more challenging to predict and prevent than unsafe bedsharing.  It is pretty clear what causes bedsharing deaths.  20% is no small number, especially considering 9 babies have already died in the city this year.  There are over 100 infant mortality initiatives in the city to try to decrease the infant mortality rate.  The anti-co-sleeping campaign is just one of them.  I honestly think it is pretty smart to use money that way.  If you can give someone a packnplay and an opportunity to choose to put their baby there instead of on the couch with three other kids or a drunk grandma, you can make a difference for a kid for about $25.  Dealing with preterm birth is a great goal, and I hope a lot of money is poured into more research and prevention of preterm birth.  I don't know why anyone would want to forget the other 20% of deaths in the city due to totally preventable causes. 

Quote:

I took your word for it that they are using the word SIDS in the ads, but then I looked it up myself, and there is absolutely no mention of SIDS at all.  It says "Your baby sleeping with you can be just as dangerous (as sleeping with a knife...).  Babies can die while sleeping in adult beds."  It does not say SIDS.  And when you go to the City's website or the Health Depts website, they state specifically that the majority of the deaths are in unsafe sleeping environments and refer to it as Sudden Unexplained Death in Infancy, not SIDS.  Check your facts before you post that. What you quoted in your OP was from ABC, not the Health Department or city.  They state:

In Milwaukee around 20% of infant mortality is attributable to a combination of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS),  and Sudden Unexplained Death in infancy (SUDI).  Of these deaths the majority die in an unsafe sleep environment.

The City of Milwaukee Health Department strongly advises parents NOT to share a bed with their infant. This is based on an American Academy of Pediatrics 2011 Policy Statement which states that the risk of SIDS has been shown to be reduced when the infant sleeps in the same room as the mother, but the AAP recommends that infants not share a bed with parents or anyone else, due to increased risk.  

Co-Sleeping Defined

The term “co-sleeping” can be confusing, as it is used both to refer to sharing a bed and sharing a room. To clarify the distinction, many pediatric experts now refer to “bed-sharing” (referring to a infant who is sleeping in the same bed, couch, or other surface where parents or others are sleeping), and “room-sharing” (referring to a infant who is sleeping in the parents’ room, but in their own crib or bassinet). 

#28 of 85 Old 11-17-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:

But the billboard doesn't say "Hey Milwaukee parents who tend to smoke, drink, and do drugs: co-sleeping with that kind of lifestyle kills." It just says, basically "co-sleeping, in and of itself, kills."

And that's just not true.

Exactly.

#29 of 85 Old 11-17-2011, 03:53 PM

Okay, I am just about done, but I have to add....why not blame the AAP instead of people who believe everything the AAP has to say?  The city and health department are just following the AAP's guidelines as part of their strategy to improve outcomes for infants and children.  Honestly, that isn't that ridiculous of a plan.  Here at MDC we might think the AAP is full of crap, but the majority of people don't think so and I don't think there is anything sinister about a campaign that follows their advice in an effort to reduce infant mortality. 

#30 of 85 Old 11-17-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:

Premature birth isn't a matter of educating women on ways to make sure their babies are born full term. . 

Obviously.

However, since Milwaukee has a much higher infant death rate than most cities, and most of those deaths are due to complications with premature births, I think my point stands. Im sorry if I offended you. I only meant that I think education would decrease more number of deaths by educating women and with smoking cessation programs than with terrifying ad campaigns that will likely result in mothers all over the country not sleeping with their babies and possibly making nursing more difficult for them.

SIDS happens. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page