I am a zombie mama to a 4 week old and three year old. Advice needed. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-17-2011, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have hit a wall. This newborn is not sleeping for any length of time, so neither am I.  I am so tired. I tried it all last night (in addition to all the things I've tried othe rnight, right?). Everything is tried post nursing. I swaddled him and put him in the side care crib. I swaddled him and tried to put him next to me. I left him unswaddled next to me to sleep. He wakes up as soon as he's put down and starts grunting and moving. I try to ignore it and hope he'll just go to sleep but he works himself into crying. And then ofcourse, I nurse him again.

He's nursing almost constantly all night, like every half hour or 45 minutes, but as soon as he's done nursing he's awake.

I slept from 10-12:30 on the couch upstairs while he slept in his swing and then some with DH in his arms on the couch. After that, any sleep I got was interuppted every half hour or 45 minutes at least. Oh my goodness. I don't know what to do differently.

Help. Please!

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

#2 of 4 Old 11-17-2011, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hug.gif

Do you need anything? I live about an hour away from Louisville and will be in town tomorrow for playgroup at Mama's Hip.Have you thought about going to the New Moms group there for some support? I know its not just new mom's anymore, now Shannon and an LC sit in with the moms and offer advice too.

Living without sleep is so hard. There were seriously times when I napped in the car because I would drive DD around until she fell asleep and then pull over in a park or something and move over to the passengers seat and just go to sleep. Do you guys have a bouncy, vibrating chair?

Sorry you are having so much trouble. I hope you are sound asleep right now smile.gif

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 4 Old 11-17-2011, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You are so sweet! LucLily, I have a good support system. My mom came over today to help me get some things done around the house and my mil took my ds1 out for lunch.

I haven't been to the new om's group this time at Mama's Hip, although i did last time. Isn't Shannon an amazing woman? She has created such a resource center for mamas.

I tried putting DS into his crib for the first time tonight three times. He woulnt stay asleep though. I ended up sleeping with him on the couch until the alarm randomly went off on our iPod player (thanks to ds1 I'm sure). I put him in his swing after that and caught a few winks on the couch. Now I NAK. What else will the night bring????

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

#4 of 4 Old 12-18-2011, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 3 babies never liked sleeping flat--they woke all night if on a flat surface.  I would recommend the Rock'n'Play Sleeper from Fisher-Price-- you can easily keep it beside your bed.  It is approved for sleep, so I was really excited to get it for my 3rd baby.  He loves it, and I can carry it anywhere in the house.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page