What's this montessori flood bed idea all about? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-25-2011, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sorry, not sure where to post this.  Please tell me if I should move this question.

O.k., so I am pregnant with baby #2 and was looking for nursery ideas on Pinterest and came across the baby floor bed idea.  Awesomeness!  Amazingly, DH is into it too!  I just have some questions if you ladies can help a girl out.  Let me just say that we didn't/don't co-sleep with DD and after the first couple of weeks probably will not with this baby either.  I will be breastfeeding again, but co-sleeping just wasn't our thing and DD adjusted so well right from the get-go in her crib so we went with it.  Just personal preference, please don't judge!

So, at what age do most people start the floor bed thing?

Do you start with the floor bed in mom and dad's room or in the child's room?

What kind of mattress since I imagine it needs to be one a lot thinner than the standard crib mattress?

Where can I get an appropriate mattress?

I would LOVE to see anyone's pictures of their baby's nursery with a floor bed!

Wife to DH 2002

Mommy to DD 2008

Shockingly expecting baby #2 in May 2012

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif*40

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2011, 08:48 PM

You can start the floor bed right from the beginning.  Usually during the first 8weeks, babies like a little more cuddling so a moses basket can be a nice start and then transition to the floor bed.  

You can have the floor bed anywhere that you want as long as you've babyproofed the area.  

A standard crib mattress is fine.  If you have wood floors you can put rugs around it, but if the baby rolls out they won't hurt themselves.  If you start them in it from the beginning they rarely roll out.  You can also use a regular twin mattress, a full size or a toddler bed mattress. 

I don't have any pictures but I did see some when I googled it.   Once they are crawling/or moving about you really need to baby proof the whole room - so if its their room you put a baby gate on the door and make sure everything is safe.  

Old 11-26-2011, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information!  I am so torn between wanting to buy a crib (I guess because it's the "norm") and wanting to set up the nursery in a really child-friendly way (aka everything at child's level and totally baby-proofed from the get-go).  Now to try to find a thin 4 inch mattress.  The only ones I've found so far are at Ikea, but they won't ship to us and the closest one is about 3 hours away.  We have a crib mattress leftover from DD, but it just seems so high off the ground even though we have carpet in the bedroom.

Wife to DH 2002

Mommy to DD 2008

Shockingly expecting baby #2 in May 2012

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif*40

User Tag List