Is it CIO when they are almost 3? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-07-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This past few weeks my DD who is almost 3 has has an awful time going down for a nap even if I nurse her. She really really needs a nap or her emotions and behavior are all over the place by 3pm.  She also keeps her infant brother up, who is only 4 months old.

A few days ago I started to take myself and the baby out of the family bed and leave her in our bedroom for naptime. She hates this and howls and comes up with every excuse in the book to get me back into the room. I've tried reading a story, singing her to sleep rubbing her back, I got her food when she said she was hungry, drinks when she said she was thirsty. I took her to the bathroom every time she said she needed to go, but she will not fall asleep if I am in the room.  After 3-10 minutes with the door shut and me non responsive she falls asleep, and sleeps for 2-3 hours.  The sleeping part is great, but her cries break my heart.  That said she also cries like this for me when we are all in bed together at nighttime and I am facing her brother to sleep and not facing her, even though she is pressed against me. She has always had horrible sleeping patterns, she has never once slept through the night. She needs the sleep so badly, and if I don't do this (shutting the door behind me) my attempts at naptime last 4 hours or more, which screws up her sleeping schedule too.   IS this CIO? are there any other suggestions if you think it is?

#2 of 6 Old 12-07-2011, 12:50 PM

ugh. What an awful situation. I too had a non sleeper. Have you tried teas, or melatonin or baths? What time does she wake up and go to bed? I don't know that this is "CIO" although it's obviously not the best way to fall asleep.

hh2.gif

#3 of 6 Old 12-07-2011, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

We try to start the bedtime routine at 7pm she usually doesn't fall asleep till 8 - 830, but sometimes if I'm too slow starting the routine she gets a second wind of crazy toddler overtired energy and she'll stay awake until 10pm. She wakes up for good at 6:30 am most days.

I haven't tried teas or melatonin. Like chamomile?

#4 of 6 Old 12-07-2011, 03:06 PM

yeah chammomile. we like the sleepy time extra here. and some kids just need less sleep than others. ODD goes to sleep at 10 and wakes up at 7. She started that routine around 3 or so. Instead of forcing a nap, could you (gasp) put a quiet movie on for her? Have quiet time instead of nap time? Give her books on tape or a leapster or something to occupy her and let her recharge?

hh2.gif

#5 of 6 Old 12-07-2011, 03:07 PM

Oh, and if she's up at 6-7 the ideal nap time would be 1ish (right after lunch) with bed time being around 8-9. I think maybe you are startin gto early on the bed time routine. if she doesn't go to bed until 830, start at 8 instead of fighting for 90 minutes.

hh2.gif

#6 of 6 Old 12-07-2011, 03:29 PM

I don't know, I'm kind of in the camp of that age sometimes they need to let off a little steam. Three is HARD, and they get themselves so tightly wound that I know my oldest son sometimes needed to be vocal before he went to sleep around that age. I'd rather him whoop and yell a little before taking a great nap rather than giving him melatonin or herbs, or skipping the nap and dealing with a completely irrational 3-year old in late afternoon.

I don't think of it as cry it out, especially when you KNOW she needs the sleep, WILL sleep when left to do so, and you've exhausted all other methods.If she's sleeping 2-3 hours I definitely think she still *needs* the nap, as you say, especially since she melts down in the afternoon without it. I can't imagine withholding sleep from a little one that needs it so much still.

mysticmomma likes this.

Happy Wife since 9/18/99, Mom to crazy sweet boys Noah Richard 7/24/04 & Jeremy Michael 1/27/11

Tags
Co Sleeping With Multiple Kids , Family Bed

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page