How to get used to mattress on the floor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-17-2011, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We just got a new king size all natural latex mattress a few days ago (yay!).  Our previous bed was a queen, so right now our mattress is on the floor.  So far, DH and I think it feels weird sleeping with the mattress on the floor.  Our previous bed was fairly high up, which doesn't help the transition.

DS isn't quite mobile yet, so I am sure we'll see more of the value of the mattress on the floor once he starts moving around on his own.... and I'm sure we'll get more used to it as time goes on.

But, for now, does anyone have any advice for getting used to the mattress on the floor?  Both for the look and feel of it.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a really low profile platform bed, but I don't want to make any premature decisions and then regret it when DS starts moving around!

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-18-2011, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Huge fan of the mattress on the floor! It feels normal now. You'll get used to it over time. Aside from obvious fall prevention benefits, it also makes the bed feel bigger. With a frame, a few inches on each side of the mattress feel unusable, since it gives you a "falling off" feeling. On the floor, you can comfortably sleep right up to the edge. Now.. having transitioned from a queen to a king, you might be feeling like its plenty big anyway. Well, if your baby hasn't already started spinning perpendicular on the bed..lol. Or, you'll get up to pee, and come back to find that someone rolled and dh and baby are now perfectly arranged on the bed in such a way that there's not *quite* enough room to be comfortable between them, and not quite enough room on either edge. Seriously, the more space the better! These days I actually feel pretty stressed when sleeping at someone else's bed on a frame with a cosleeping baby or toddler. Its so SO much better on the floor. 

Oh, and my oldest fractured her skull rolling off a bed (while wide awake with my back turned an arm's length away, not a cosleeping accident) when she was just under 6 months. it wasn't a high frame either. And it was onto carpet. Such a freak thing. After that, we're not going back to frames until we're done having babies :)

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#3 of 4 Old 12-18-2011, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Did you also switch type of mattress?  Maybe several things to get use to.

I like the mattress on the floor.  Only hard thing was getting up.

I wild strongly suggest a small platform.  For me, and many that I read, mildew can really be a problem with the bed directly on the floor (carpet and wood)

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#4 of 4 Old 12-18-2011, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post

Oh, and my oldest fractured her skull rolling off a bed (while wide awake with my back turned an arm's length away, not a cosleeping accident) when she was just under 6 months. it wasn't a high frame either. And it was onto carpet. Such a freak thing. After that, we're not going back to frames until we're done having babies :)

That just reminded me of something.... when I was a baby, I rolled off a bed and broke my leg.  My mom had laid me there to change my diaper!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post

Did you also switch type of mattress?  Maybe several things to get use to.

Yes, we went from a conventional mattress to latex, so definitely getting used to that too!

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

Tags
Family Bed

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page