I'm exhausted and need HELP - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-04-2012, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS2 is 12mo. The past 2 weeks he's just stopped sleeping at night. Before this he was sleeping several hours (5 was normal) at a time. Now he's awake every 2 hours. He wants to nurse and will only sleep with boob in his mouth...which would be fine but he also started biting on top of it. (The other night he bit down HARD at least twice. He does it in his sleep) I'm exhausted and my nipples are raw and hurting. He eats constantly during the day (food and breastmilk) so I can't imagine he's hungry...

We've tried just about everything...

- Pain Meds before bed (Advil and Tylenol)

- Food before bed

- No food before bed

- Falling asleep in bed

- Falling asleep elsewhere (change of location doesn't change the waking)

- Falling asleep with Mommy

- Falling asleep with Daddy bouncing him

This morning I even said, "I'm sorry you can't nurse" and put him in between DH and I...he lost his mind. He got hysterical and was throwing himself around the bed. 

I'm exhausted. I just can't do this anymore. My 2yo doesn't nap and can't be trusted for ME to nap. I'm seriously considering setting up the pack-n-play in the other room and just letting him CIO. If he would just LAY THERE and scream (in bed with us...that's what his brother did when we night-weaned) it would be different...but he gets violent and throws himself around. 

Help, please?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#2 of 6 Old 01-04-2012, 06:06 AM

12mo was rough for us too. Are his molars coming in? If they are, try motrin (even if you can't see anything, try it and see if it helps. Pain will keep him up, and the motrin will relieve it enough for him to sleep)  When you are desperate enough, you can alternate tylenol and motrin every 3 hours (I only do this when absolutely necessary, and only for long enough for the pain to subside enough that I don't have to anymore).

#3 of 6 Old 01-04-2012, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

12mo was rough for us too. Are his molars coming in? If they are, try motrin (even if you can't see anything, try it and see if it helps. Pain will keep him up, and the motrin will relieve it enough for him to sleep)  When you are desperate enough, you can alternate tylenol and motrin every 3 hours (I only do this when absolutely necessary, and only for long enough for the pain to subside enough that I don't have to anymore).

I've tried medicating before bed and it made no difference. He has 6 teeth...the front 4 and his top 2 incisors (leave it to my kids to do things out of order lol) 

I *thought* teething and that's why I medicated but when it didn't help I stopped...maybe I should start earlier so he has more than one dose in him?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#4 of 6 Old 01-12-2012, 05:37 PM

Have you had him checked out by a pedi? Just wondering if there could be a medical reason since its so sudden. My guessing is if it's not medical it has to be teething. Frequent night waking that lasts usually manifests itself relatively slowly, building up, and I've never heard of it suddenly happening at 12 months. Molars and incisors are h@ll. Medicating didn't help, only time, we made it it through. Hugs to you.

babyboy.gif: 01/10/2009 and 09/29/2011

#5 of 6 Old 01-13-2012, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisep View Post

Have you had him checked out by a pedi? Just wondering if there could be a medical reason since its so sudden. My guessing is if it's not medical it has to be teething. Frequent night waking that lasts usually manifests itself relatively slowly, building up, and I've never heard of it suddenly happening at 12 months. Molars and incisors are h@ll. Medicating didn't help, only time, we made it it through. Hugs to you.

Yeah, he had his 12mo appt on the 3rd and checked out so there's no ear infection or anything like that...

I'm really really leaning toward horrible teething pain...

#6 of 6 Old 01-21-2012, 03:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My DD experiences teething as awful torturous pain and right now at 25 months, her 2 year molars are coming in and her sleep has been bad for weeks. It's very hard. We do tylenol because ibuprophen bothers her stomach. And other stuff like frozen chunks of fruit and frozen baby socks (I swear they are the perfect size for them to hold) during the day. We also used a good bit of hylands. Not of this fixes it per se, but just keeps things from getting too far out of control.

I've noticed that when she is in the worst of it, she just wants to be close. We had the wanting to nurse and then falling asleep and biting down problem too and I started taking my boob away at a certain point after the actual nursing was done and cuddling her instead. At first she cried a bit, but then got into the snuggles. Though sometimes this means sleeping on top of my chest until she is asleep and I can ease her down next to me.

I hope things get better, it may be just a matter of time...

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09

Tags
Family Bed

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page