partial nightweaning - how does daddy help? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-13-2012, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband and I co-sleep with our 10mo old son. He wakes up to nurse about 4 times between 7pm bedtime and around 9:30pm; sleeps solid till about 12:30am; I change dipes and nurse, then he sleeps solid till about 3am. Then from 3am till 6:30am wake up he wakes up every 20-30 mins to nurse! I am trying desperately to finish my dissertation during his naptimes and after bedtime. I really need these constant wake-ups before 9:30pm and after 3am to stop. I have started patting him back to sleep and this works beautifully for him a few of the wake-up times after 3am. I would like to extend this. I would absolutely love it if he could sleep solid 7pm till midnight; nurse and change dipes; sleep solid midnight-5am or so, nurse, back to sleep till 6:30am.

Do I just keep patting him back to sleep even if he cries? I am holding him, he's right next to me, he's not abandoned ..... Should I set a period of time (say 20 mins) that I let him cry before nursing him? Or no nursing him at all? How can my husband help? Maybe once in the early part of the night he can pat the baby back to sleep. But baby usually *screams* if it's daddy and not me. Should I just give it over to my husband to do, ie less access to breast, easier time of it? Should daddy pick him up, rock and bounce him, or just pat in bed, trying to get him to lay down instead of sitting up crying?

FYI I nightweaned my 3yo at 16 mos and it worked within a week. I did something similar to the Jay Gordon method, and held him through all the crying.

Thank you!!!

Sleepy Mama PhD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-13-2012, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have no help but would like to see ideas too. My mega night nurser is making mom super tired!

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#3 of 3 Old 01-16-2012, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

I'm interested here as well.  Our 13 month old recently started doing bedtime with DH (he transitions and falls asleep SO.MUCH faster with him than nursing with me), but he sleeps between us at night and wakes to nurse maybe 7-8 times.  Now that I know that he'll go down on DH without a problem, I'm tempted to have DH do some nighttime duty as well...I just think it would have to involve me sleeping in another room. I think if I'm there, he'll want me.  The all-night nursing is really wearing me out.  

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)

Tags
Family Bed

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page