I rolled onto my baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-16-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am cosleeping with my 3rd baby in a queen size bed.  Just me and baby at this point, no dh.  Several nights ago, I awoke to dd(2.5 weeks old) crying out and realized I was partially laying on her.  I now feel really frightened to cosleep anymore, although I would really like to.  Are there precautions I can take?  I searched this forum, and can't find any threads about other people doing this.  Is this really abnormal?  I don't drink or take sleeping meds.  Thanks for your thoughts. 

#2 of 5 Old 01-16-2012, 12:53 PM

If you have a crib that turns into a toddler bed, you could take the side rail off and side car with that against your bed!? Then you'd still be co-sleeping, but the baby will be on their side.

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

#3 of 5 Old 01-16-2012, 01:24 PM

With no DH in your bed you must have plenty of space. If I were without DH I would have one of these co-sleepers: http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Secure-Sleeper-Colors/dp/B00012CHFI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326748731&sr=8-2

We used one with DS and it worked well. It just took up too much space for us to want to use it again. I see them on Craigslist all the time for around $20. The sides are rigid, so there would be no fear of you rolling over on it (it would be seriously uncomfortable). Baby has to be taken out to nurse, so that could be frustrating for you, but in the end safety is more important and I feel like this makes a good compromise between safety and the benefits of co-sleeping.

I don't know if it's abnormal, really. You are likely just a more heavy sleeper and this early in your babe's life you're probably overly tired. Both of these are cautions against co-sleeping and you're wise to take this situation for what it is and try to work with it to protect your baby moving forward. 

#4 of 5 Old 01-16-2012, 01:41 PM

When our LO was that age, we used a changing pad (high sides, from Target, firm foam with some kind of cover, maybe 4 inch high sides) in the actual bed for him to co-sleep.  Hope this helps, and I am glad you woke up when you did.  So scary, this mothering business!

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#5 of 5 Old 01-16-2012, 02:18 PM

Are you nursing? I have read that formula feeding can make you less instinctual/aware at night and not to co-sleep if you are FF. Other than that I just don't know.

I would get one of those things PP posted anyway...

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Tags
Family Bed

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page