Cosleeping if you have more than one child? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-25-2012, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone!  I coslept with my son (no regrets!) for four years and then my daughter was born.  We've done a lot of musical beds over the past year since then and right now generally speaking my now 5 yo (son) will sleep in his bed in my room next to my bed, where I sleep with my 13 mo. 

The problem is that my 5 yo wants to get in the bed with us but sometimes it is very disruptive - he moves and bounces a lot and it ends up waking my daughter up.  I don't care if I get woken up but I don't want her to be up in the middle of the night for long periods because of it.  But I feel bad because I don't want my son to feel rejected because he has a younger sibling who displaced him in the bed.  i don't know how to address this creatively - any ideas?

On top of this, I currently am a working mom (4 days) and we all agree my son doesn't get enough time with me.  So I especially don't want to seem like I am pushing him away.  (I am in the process of decreasing work but that is going to take a couple of months).

Many thanks for any help!

#2 of 3 Old 01-25-2012, 08:12 PM

Have you tried having them each on one side of you?  How about side-carring a twin bed for your son so you have more space and he doesn't move the main bed as much?  We had a king bed and had no problems with both kids in the bed when the oldest was 5.

Good luck!

#3 of 3 Old 01-25-2012, 11:51 PM

I put my 18 month old to sleep in a Kanoe ( sleep hammock ) in the bedroom, then my 5 year old sleeps with me. Occasionally when they sleep in the bed together, I have to create a raft of pillows to act as a barrier, in case my older one wakes, half asleep - this is not terribly safe IMO, I always stay close and use a monitor, but the eldest could accidentally bonk the little one. It has happened only once and was minor. Sometimes I put LO to sleep in the Kanoe and then take him to bed when I am ready to go, sleeping between them of course. Our mattress is on the floor. I have a bed available if my eldest wants his own space, many put a sleeping mat/ bag at the foot of the bed, with places for toys, books, nightlight etc. to make them feel special. I also had to get a twin duvet for my eldest as he wraps himself up and uncovers us, that has helped. It can be done! Dad, however sleeps upstairs Sheepish.gif

homebirth.jpgh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif

Tags
Co Sleeping With Multiple Kids , Co Sleeping With Older Kids , Family Bed

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page