Big Fan of Family Bed, but Now it's got to stop -- iDEAS for how to help convince kids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-29-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my kids (10 & 7) have been co-sleeping with me off and on since birth. My idea was that they would grow out of it when they were ready. I have encouraged them to sleep in their own beds, and provided them both with nice rooms.  When they were 3 & 6 I started to insist on them going to bed in their own rooms, and then they could come into our room (their parents' room) in the middle of the night if they wanted. 

Then two years ago their dad and I split up, and as they responded to the stress of the separation/divorce, they wanted to sleep in my bed again.  They also sleep in dad's bed when at his house.  This is NOT an issue between us as parents -- we both think it's not ideal, at their ages, but also appreciate the benefits of making the kids feel safe and secure.

But now I've got to get my kids into their own beds.  I'm about to get remarried, and have another baby, and I can't have my older kids in bed with a stepdad!!!

Of course when I try to talk to anyone about this (mediator, for example), all I get is an earful about how bad it is that my kids are still in my bed AT ALL at their age, instead of constructive advice about how to make them feel better about moving into their own beds. (The instructor in the "parenting through divorce" class that I took said, and this is an exact quote, that "the family bed isn't technically dangerous." Didn't make me feel like opening up.)

Can anyone offer me any tips about how to do this?  It's time-sensitive and important, but I also need to be true to my own beliefs about the family bed, so I can't tell my kids it's "not okay" in some fundamental sense.

Thanks!

#2 of 3 Old 01-30-2012, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Message Deleted
#3 of 3 Old 02-05-2012, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

With kids that age, you should be able to talk to them and involve them in the process. "With a baby on the way, we have to shift our sleep arrangements. How can we make this work for you guys?" 

Good luck!

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif

Tags
Co Sleeping With Multiple Kids , Co Sleeping With Older Kids , Family Bed

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page