sudden bedwetting in toddler - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-06-2012, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We co-sleep and our 2 1/2 year old DD has been wetting the bed for about 5 nights in a row. We ECed with her and has been mostly dry at night since about 1 year old. The bedwetting is sudden and she seems to pee in her deep sleep and seems comfortable in her wet pants which is unusual. The only reasons I can think of is that she was sick last week and she has been having a lot of fruit. Could something else be going on? Any ideas, tips?

#2 of 3 Old 02-08-2012, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

My younger daughter's troubles with accidents (day and night) seemed to ebb and flow.  Sometimes I could pinpoint the culprit (trips like camping at the beach would throw her off, for example) and other times it just simply seemed random.  At 5yo we seem to be out of the woods as far as regression, but then I'll get complacent and she'll wet the bed.  During the day I've tried to ignore her  "potty dances" knowing that she *will* tell me when she needs to go.  It is just so painful to watch the dance that I have a hard time not asking her "potty?"  Mostly she manages it, then suddenly she doesn't for a few days.  At night, like you said, it is because she is so sound asleep though she'll be OK for a while.  Of course, when I leave the bed after they've fallen asleep, I'll scoot her right next to her sister (in my spot) and that is where the accidents happen!

So, it's possible that it is one thing that will pass (and of course it will eventually pass) or it will be like my daughter, coming and going for a while.  When dd would have regular accidents at night I would wake her at 45min- 1hr after she dropped off.  Even if she didn't pee this almost always helped.

We didn't do EC, but I would imagine that regression can still be an issue.  Kids around that age really start to sleep deeply and for longer stretches, and it's the deep sleep that can be trouble, especially when combined with other triggers.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#3 of 3 Old 02-10-2012, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We also part time ECed our son and, similarly, he's been mostly dry at night since about 12 mos.  He got sick about 3 weeks ago and since then has wet training pants almost every night.  I tried to get him back on track (for lack of better words right now), but then I got sick and couldn't stay awake long enough to give him a second chance at the potty before morning.  He used to stir for a minute, then wake himself and me saying something to the effect of "Mama, pee-pee"  or "Potty, Mama", but now he'll start to fuss and I find he's already gone (but is also not awake -which is weird).  I think when I am feeling a little better, maybe I can offer the potty one more time before I go to bed and then early in the am...  But I don't know.  I would also appreciate some advice!

Tags
Family Bed

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page