Wakeful 15 month old, up to 2 hrs sometimes -- could this be a symptom of dairy/soy sensitivity? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-08-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

x-posting in allergies

I eliminated dairy when my 15 month old was a newborn. He seemed to improve in his gassiness/fussiness, and his brother had a similar sensitivity. Recently, I have been adding dairy back into both of our diets (about the last 3 weeks). He does not get a lot, but maybe some cheese or yogurt each day, and I occasionally have a bit of cheese, a scone from time to time, and am simply not as strict as I used to be.

Lately he has had more nightwaking than before. He used to wake up around 10:45 to nurse, then around 2, then around 5:30 (we struggled for a long time with this as his wake up for the day time). Now, he is up at 10:45, has unstable sleep 1-3 or so, and is getting up at 5;30 again. Sometimes he is crying when he wakes, and other times, he is very, very wakeful, as in tossing and turning for up to 2 hours. I try to help him, but he cries if I do too much. Sometimes, he starts to try to get up and walk around. Then, I put him in the crib, which causes him to cry, to which I respond by rocking him. It is exhausting!  And, of course, there is always a confounding factor, like teething, or sickness (though actually right now, he has neither of those things).

So, I guess I should try to do complete elimination again an see if things improve. As I know (but have been in denial about) it ccan take a while for him to respond, so if he's really sensitive, it would take a couple of weeks for the dairy to leave his system.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if this was a symptom for anyone else's baby!

And yes, that is the ONLY symptom (well, there was some runny green poop last night but that was the first time since dairy introduction that there was anything unusual in the poop).

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#2 of 3 Old 02-08-2012, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Just a thought... my daughter had bad sleep periods when new teeth came in.. no apparent pain just terrible sleep. Maybe that's part of it?

#3 of 3 Old 02-09-2012, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For my little one, 12 months it is one of the ways he shows dairy intolerence. he usually wakes up pretty screamy though, not gently. its angry and in pain. but lots of sensitivities arent accompanied by pain so that might be just be his way of showing it, discomfort and bloating maybe? My son took one night to see the difference when I cut out the dairy. there was a pretty significant improvement right away. but he does also wakes up and has difficulty resettling when its teething too or when he wants to nurse. he'll just toss and turn intil he has eaten enough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page