What is going on sleep-wise at 12 months? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-13-2012, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

DS2 is newly turned one year old and sleep is getting worse not better! We went through a spell of him waking every hour in the early morning (from 1 or 2 till 7ish). He settled back to sleep easily by nursing. I figured it was teething and just soldiered through. Then we all got a stomach flu which hit him during the night of course so that was a very rough night. And since then (two or so weeks ago) there is at least one night waking that is very difficult to settle him down from: nurse on one side, nurse on the other side and after an hour or so I get out of bed and rock him or walk him. He goes back to sleep easily with motion but it's so exhausting for me to get out of bed! (We cosleep.) Hubby sleeps in another room with ds1 so to ask him for help also means getting out of bed,

His naps are sometimes a bit tough to get him down. If I'm slightly past the sleep window, crying ends up being involved. I start thinking he's ready for just one nap but when we try it he gets cranky. The nap routine is nurse, walk, rock. I am thinking I need to try laying in bed with him and nursing him to sleep.

Any suggestions? I am so exhausted.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-13-2012, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Motrin? Have you looked in his mouth for signs of teething? Molars were pure HE!! for us, and sleep was miserable for almost 2 months while we waited for them to come through.

#3 of 6 Old 02-13-2012, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

Motrin? Have you looked in his mouth for signs of teething? Molars were pure HE!! for us, and sleep was miserable for almost 2 months while we waited for them to come through.

Last night I did give him some pain reliever on the theory that perhaps it is teeth bothering him but he was up and unable to settle in an hour or two later. He does have a runny nose today so that might explain some of last night.

He currently only has four teeth so molars seem like they would be very far away....

ribbonpb.gif
#4 of 6 Old 02-13-2012, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi there

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time sleep wise.

Our little guy also seemed to get worse the minute he turned 12 months.

Have you read "The Wonder Weeks"? There is a sleep regression at 12 months.  For us it lasted a couple of weeks and it drove me crazy.  Since then though his sleep has gotten better.

Good luck!

40 y/o married Mama, 3 y/o DS, Angel Baby lost in Sep 2013, Angel Baby lost March 2014.
#5 of 6 Old 02-16-2012, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmom View Post

Hi there

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time sleep wise.

Our little guy also seemed to get worse the minute he turned 12 months.

Have you read "The Wonder Weeks"? There is a sleep regression at 12 months.  For us it lasted a couple of weeks and it drove me crazy.  Since then though his sleep has gotten better.

Good luck!

No I haven't heard of that book but hearing that there is a 12 month regression makes me feel better.

Sleep has been a bit better the last couple of nights. Maybe this is the beginning of a good period of sleeping....

ribbonpb.gif
#6 of 6 Old 02-16-2012, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't have  anything to offer but to let you know that I UNDERSTAND!!!  My LO just turned a year and is sleeping horribly.  That being said, she started sleeping horribly at 8 months-ish and we have had few days of reprieve.  I came onto this board to see if I can get some mamas help and came across your post. 

I am looking to weed out physical causes. Reflux?  Food intolerance?  She wakes most nights after 2 hours and then every 20 minutes to 45 minutes afterwards.  And now she refuses to take a nap...unless she is held.

Anyway.  If you get a good resolution...or a magic wand, let me know eyesroll.gif

Tags
Family Bed

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page