Transitioning *back* to co-sleeping? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-25-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS was in our room in a co-sleeper until he was about 8 months old.  After 3 months of age, he was frequently in bed with me nursing once I came to bed, though he would start the night off in the co-sleeper.  He transitioned easily to a crib in his own room at 8 months, and he slept much better there then he had begun to as a bed-sharer.  Everyone was happy, though he didn't STTN until he was about 2.  My milk slowly dried up when I went back to work, so he has been weaned from the breast since about 9 months.  He still gets one bottle a night, usually at about 6 am.  He's up for the day between 7 and 7:30.

Anyways...  I am pregnant and due in July.  Just recently, DS has started waking up in the middle of the night crying and asking to come into the "big bed".  I always allow him to, and he usually spends the rest of the night there.  Sometimes if he's too squirmy I'll take him back to his own bed, but by that point he is calm and okay with the transition.  I can't really identify any reason for the recent change.  He's not clingy during the day, he isn't exhibiting any new behaviors, and he seems just as happy and independent as ever.  He's also perfectly okay with napping by himself. 

Right now, I'm just taking the approach that he has some new emotional need that co-sleeping is meeting.  I'm fine with that.  But I'm curious if anyone else has ever stopped co-sleeping, only to start up again months or years later.  Anyone BTDT?  How long did it last?  Any ideas on what the sudden change might be about?

Strong single mama to Ethan (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)
#2 of 3 Old 03-21-2012, 03:30 PM

We haven't, just because we have always co-slept.  But is it possible he's using nighttime to process the idea of having a sibling? 

I think you're doing the right thing, just responding to his needs and letting him come to you.  It's a great time to reconnect--I truly believe that nighttime sleeping time isn't passive at all.  You really are meeting his needs! :)

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#3 of 3 Old 03-21-2012, 03:36 PM

my dd just turned three last month and she has also started coming into the bed after waking up in the middle of the night. She currently has her bed in our room, so that has helped a lot :)

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

Tags
Family Bed

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page