7 Month Old- foster baby- not sleeping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-27-2012, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Some background:  We have a 7 month old foster baby that we've had since she was 3 months old.  When I got her at 3 months, I was her 4th mom!!!  She's had many attachment issues because of that instability early in her life.  When we got her, she showed signs of neglect, even coming from other foster families.  We have done as many of the attachment things as we legally can with her and she's showing good progress with bonding to us.  She's bright, energetic, happy... and hyper-vigilant.  She doesn't seem to want to settle down.  Never has from the moment we got her.

She sleeps in a pack and play in our room, just inches from my pillow.  I always "nurse" (bottle feed) her to sleep and hold her until she seems deeply asleep.  But, most of the time, the minute I move, she awakens.  Or, if not right away, she'll wake within 5 minutes of being laid down.  We can't co-sleep for legal reasons, but I get up every time she wakens.  That is usually 3-20 (literal- I count) times a night (8-12 hour period).  It's so disheartening!  I always "nurse" her back to sleep outside of her crib and put her back in her bed when she's asleep.

She also doesn't nap.  At least not well.  Like today- I put her asleep in my arms 3 times but she never made it to the crib once.  She probably got a total of 40 minutes during the day.  She seems tired but just can't settle down.

I know that you're probably going to tell me that it's her developmental stage but she's never gotten out of it.  She's never slept well since we got her.

I feel like we're missing something.  I know that CIO isn't the solution but what is?

I really wish we could co-sleep.  I think her anxiety would be helped so much by constant contact with us.

She's never more than a few feet from me all day and night.  She can go into my arms any time she wants; although baby-wearing doesn't work for me- I'd rather just hold her.

But, because she needs me all day and night, I feel like I never get a break from her.  She's zapping all my strength and stealing my sleep.

My husband helps on the weekends, but he works on airplanes during the week and needs his sleep.

She wasn't drug or alcohol exposed.

Thanks.

#2 of 5 Old 02-27-2012, 07:29 PM

I don't have much advice, but I wanted to offer some hugs.  hug2.gifThat sounds like a very difficult and sad situation.  Any idea on how long she'll be with you?  Is this a foster-to-adopt situation, or will she return to her birth family?

I know you said babywearing doesn't work for you, but perhaps you haven't found the right carrier?  I know that being able to do some housework or even just browse the internet with two hands was really helpful for my morale when DS was teeny.  If you haven't already, check out thebabywearer.com  The mamas over there are great and can help with everything from selection to troubleshooting.

Also, regarding the bottle nursing...  I had to do the same with DS after my supply tanked from returning to work.  Maybe towards the end of the feedings where you are trying to nurse her to sleep, you could lay the baby down on her bed and just sort of cuddle her?  It would be similar to side-lying nursing and make it easier for you to slip away since she's already laying down.  Also, I just let DS keep the empty bottle to suck on.  It was a life-saver for me when I started it at 9 months.  He never took a pacifier, and even though I could no longer nurse, he still needed to suck constantly.  It's still a major comfort to him at 2.5 years (though he only ever has it at bedtimes), but I figure I'd likely still be nursing him if I was able, so I don't have an issue with him still needing a bottle.

Good luck!

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#3 of 5 Old 02-27-2012, 08:05 PM

I stumbled on this thread from new posts and I just wanted to let you know that reading about how you are parenting her after what she's been through almost had me weepy. I think it's soooooo wonderful that you're being as attached as you can especially with her sever early lack of attachment. I used to work in the foster care system and it boggled my mind how children with severe attachment issues had to continually bounce around totally compounding their issues. Not to discount the failed placements' experiences with some really challenging behaviors, just saying its a very tough cycle to break. So huge kudos to you!

I have no advise whatsoever. And it certainly sounds completely and utterly exhausting. But I'm sure your efforts now are going to have a huge impact for the rest of her life. I hope someone can offer advice on how to make it a bit easier on you.
#4 of 5 Old 03-03-2012, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your support.  It helps just knowing that I can complain to someone.

My husband changed her bed a bit and made it more comfortable and now she can't get enough sleep.  Ever since he changed it, she's been sleeping 11 hour nights with just 2-3 wake-ups and taking 3 naps during the day.  I think she's making up for all the sleep she missed.  This morning, she took a 2 and a half hour nap!  I'm so happy and relieved.  Of course, now that I'm not running on adrenaline any more, I'm exhausted too.  I love seeing her surprised, happy face when she wakes up from a nap and my face is right beside hers (not all the time, of course).

I really hope this trend continues.

#5 of 5 Old 03-03-2012, 02:49 PM

How wonderful!  I'm so glad you are both getting some sleep! 

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page