DH putting 15month old to sleep... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-29-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone.  DS is now 15 months and its amazing to see how much he has grown both physically and mentally.  luxlove.gif But I'm curious to know if he is "mentally ready" to have DH put him to bed.  On a typical day I nurse him to sleep (we co sleep) and then I usually end up falling asleep myself since I have to be up early in the morning to go to work (and no he does not sttn, but I nurse him down when he wakes and it takes a few minutes if even).

So when DH puts him to bed - he cuddles him and he falls asleep relatively easily (when I'm not at home).  But, if I'm around while they are doing this, (ie int he bed with them, or in the other room) then DS cries and screams his head off!  and I can't handle this crying so I take him and nurse him to sleep.  (although DH doesn't like when I do this...)

Is it that he is still too young for DH to put him to sleep while I am at home?  (Cause if I'm not home he goes down really really easy) fambedsingle1.gif.  And is it okay for his to cry like this because eventually he will fall asleep?  To me it seems too much like cio...

Anyone have experience with this? 

#2 of 2 Old 03-02-2012, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

At 15 months, a baby still identifies himself with momma. If he knows you're there, he's not likely to feel ok with someone else comforting him to sleep. Babies don't train well. They simply stuff emotions and adapt. If you're there, and not offering the comfort he feels he needs, he's likely to feel abandoned, unloved, and unloveable. If you're not there, then other people, such as the father, can take on the role of mother.

I would encourage him to continue to develop his relationship with his father, but not to push him to accept his father as a substitute for momma when you are around.

tdot mama likes this.

Tags
Family Bed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page