Extended toddler night waking - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-03-2012, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'll keep this short.  We are all sleep deprived here and I know no one wants to read five pages of me whining.

My daughter is 19 months and all this week she's been having wakeful periods in the middle of the night.  For example, awake from 2-5am or 11:30pm-3am.  Totally awake.  I try nursing her back to sleep but she wants to play.

I am at my wit's end.  I feel like I spend every night in a sleep torture facility with only 4 hours of sleep a night.

Has anyone experienced this?  

I did call the pediatrician about it on Thursday and he recommended Sleepytime tea.  Let me just tell you how well that has worked (/sarcasm).

Darla dishes.gif Jimguitar.gif Wrenflower.gif Papahat.gif Grandma dog2.gifNana Anne jumpers.gif & the Great Cosmic Mimi om.gif
3 houses - 2 blocks in the old neighborhood = 1 eclectic/traditional tribe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

I know this may not help but this is what I did....

Don't turn on the lights...."It is time to sleep"

SO making day/night different.....NO playing

Yes it did take time but it did help

A great book is Sleepless in America  (I forget the author)  I like what she has to say about sleep.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Just as a note: with my ds if he woke in the night (really woke, not just a brief wake up) he was up for 3 hours on the nose regardless of what we did. It happened last night (very rare for him nowadays to wake). We have tried all sorts of things but for him 3 hours is some sort of rhythm.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 03-05-2012, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Updating this thread in case other mommas search this down the road... 

We tried the Calms Forte' for kids from Hyland's and my 19 month old only woke up once to nurse (which is totally fine) and rolled right back over to go to sleep.  

Darla dishes.gif Jimguitar.gif Wrenflower.gif Papahat.gif Grandma dog2.gifNana Anne jumpers.gif & the Great Cosmic Mimi om.gif
Old 03-05-2012, 08:01 PM

Im glad you found something that worked!  i was going to say that my LO does this too - although usually only 90 - minutes to 2 hours...not THREE.  i can really only tolerate nursing him for about 30 minutes total - and i do what the PP suggested - rub his belly, rub his back and dont let him get of the bed to go play, no lights, no TV.  It seems to come in shifts - he will be up every night for a week or two straight...just when i am ready to drop him off with Grandma for the night, he'll stop and we'll go weeks or months where he sleeps through - or wakes briefly to nurse only. 

I wish i knew what it was related to!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

Old 03-05-2012, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post

Updating this thread in case other mommas search this down the road... 

We tried the Calms Forte' for kids from Hyland's and my 19 month old only woke up once to nurse (which is totally fine) and rolled right back over to go to sleep.  

Thank you so much. I'm looking it up right now. DS has woken up at 3:30 AM multiple times this week. And to be clear - I don't mean he was up for a few hours and went back to sleep. I mean he woke up like we had a rooster in our bedroom. He's never been a good sleeper, but this is awful!
Old 04-18-2012, 01:47 PM

I was so happy to find this thread.. This has been the story of our lives for MONTHS... DS is almost 21 months old and we co-sleep(DH has been sleeping in the spare bedroom for months now)and still nurse.

We have followed a bedtime routine and nap routine that goes very well as he falls asleep pretty easily, but then on a very regular basis he will wake up at 11:30 or 3:00 or anywhere in between and be up for HOURS-- 2-3 usually...

I feel like it is very slowly improving but I am just a ragdoll from it.  The night before last, he slept through from 9pm - 6am, woke up briefly to nurse and fell back to sleep until 8 :-))))

Then last night, he woke up from 3am-5:30 after falling asleep later than normal(10pm :-/)

I think 8:30-8:45 is an optimal time for him to actually fall asleep, which would mean having the bedtime routine done by 8 and be in the rocker nursing him by 8:15 at the latest but this morning he didn't wake up for the day til 9:30 because of the 2+ hour wake up, so his nap time is later etc..etc...

The No Cry Sleep Solution was great for suggestions on routine, a protein snack before bed, keeping the lights off and not making the wake up "fun time" for them etc.. I do not want to forcibly night wean him so I hope this gets significantly better soon.  

I will add that I think teething has a lot to do with the wakings.  I am going to try the Hyland's Calms Forte'.

Any updates from you guys would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 04-26-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Well, my saga with the extended nightwaking has had its ups and downs.  My baby will sleep well for about 4 nights in a row, and then, like last night be up from 1-4 a.m.

I am really worn out today.  I am starting to wonder about the longterm affects of sleep deprivation on my health.  Lack of sleep is definitely making me rethink having any more children, also, which is a shame.

It's virtually impossible for me to nap during the day when she naps.  I can't calm down (mentally) enough to rest.

User Tag List