hip aches while cosleeping - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-03-2012, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm a new mom and have been cosleeping with our DS (he's two months old). We sleep on a white lotus cotton and wool futon (two x-long twins) with DH. Every night, I sleep on my left side facing DS. I keep my left arm up as a barrier between the pillow and my knees up right under his little legs.There is a pillow in between my legs. I feel really comfortable with this set up for safety reasons.

However, when I wake up my hips are so stiff. I have similar pelvic pain like what I had while pregnant (it feels like the middle section of my pubic bone is coming apart). My first morning steps feel pretty unstable. Plus, since our mattress is pretty firm, the hip I lie on feels almost bruised by morning. I know that switching sides would probably help, but DH is an incredibly heavy sleeper and rolls around at night. I don't feel comfortable having DS in between us. Luckily, I can comfortably nurse from both breasts on one side. We have slept upside down on the bed to switch sides for a night, but whatever side I sleep on is still stiff by morning.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I absolutely love cosleeping with our little one and wouldn't have it any other way. Night nursing is a breeze and I feel very close to my son. We had a rough start because he was premature (in the NICU for 25 days) and this has been a wonderful way to bond with him. I just need it to be a little more bearable for me physically. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Happily married to DH 

Stay-at-home mama to DS1 (01/12) & DS2 (01/14)

#2 of 10 Old 03-03-2012, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Oh I am of no help, just wanted to commiserate. I do recall feeling very achy while co-sleeping in the early months. Then one day, I woke up and felt great and no longer experienced it.

#3 of 10 Old 03-03-2012, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I agree. My hips and knees ached for the first few months and then it just went away. Perhaps try to roll onto your back periodically to help take the pressure off? Contests on the new baby!

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#4 of 10 Old 03-03-2012, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had/have the same problem (still at 2yrs) and going to the chiropractor regularly has helped immensely.. 

Mama to  Hadley (2/10) energy.gif& Sawyer (1/13) babyboy.gif familybed1.gif

#5 of 10 Old 03-03-2012, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

same here. i usually put a pillow between my legs when i sleep. actually i do this every night. if i don't it hurst really bad.

best

#6 of 10 Old 03-04-2012, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Oh god... I've been there. OUCH. I couldn't find anything that helped. It lasted until my ds was maybe 5-6 months old, when I felt he was safe enough while I was sleeping to move around at night. Before then, instinctively I just could not move from being curled around him. Now he's such an active sleeper there's no way we could spend all night like that, and my hips are nearly pain-free.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#7 of 10 Old 03-05-2012, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Well, it sounds like this is a normal part of cosleeping! I do go to the chiro regularly, so maybe continuing that will help. I feel better though knowing that I'm not the only one experiencing this!

Happily married to DH 

Stay-at-home mama to DS1 (01/12) & DS2 (01/14)

#8 of 10 Old 03-05-2012, 07:13 PM

I had this too for the first couple months! I loved sleeping on my side facing DS, but had to sleep on my back for a little bit throughout the night to help the pain. It just went away after awhile.

Mama to a 6 year old diva, and new little man July 2011.

#9 of 10 Old 03-06-2012, 08:20 PM

I've been there too...well I''m currently "there" actually. My ds is 3 1/2 months old and I'm just starting to feel comfortable moving around a bit more at night. Now, after I nurse him, I unlatch him and scotch away from him a little bit and roll onto my back. I rest my arm/hand on his lower body and usually bend one of my legs (the one closer to him) up so his feet are just touching my thigh. Don't know if you can visualize that...

I've been waking up much less achy the last few nights since I've been able to do this. I think it'll get better as our babies get older though. Sounds like other mamas have gone through this phase at the beginning too.

#10 of 10 Old 03-07-2012, 12:29 AM

I can relate, too.  For me, changing sides a couple of times a night is a must, or I'm unbearably uncomfortable.  Any chance you'd want to pull the 2 twin mattresses apart to create a bigger space from DH?  Just a thought... and this is assuming the futon mattresses are on the floor.  Good luck :)

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

Tags
Family Bed

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page