co-sleeping whoops! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2012, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I co-sleep with my 5 month old DD. I always use a zaky hand behind her (looks like a forearm and keeps her from rolling over, well we switched sides tonight and I was apparently too asleep and I didn't move the arm, and she fell off the bed! After being calmed down she was smiling, and cooing now she's wide awake looking around the room. I feel horrible that it happened, she nurses so much at night I'm not sure I'd get any sleep if she was in her own bed! DH is insistent she goes into her own bed, but the last time I tried that she'd wake up the second I put her down.. I'm not sure what to do here! Oh when she fell she appeared to have landed on my body pillow which was on the floor and I checked her eyes and they reacted normally to a light.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 05:37 AM

I have totally been there mama. We sawed the legs off our bed so it was a shorter fall if (and when) it did happen. Don't beat yourself up. If your little one looked fine, she is probably fine.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:40 AM

My ds DOVE off the bed at that age (intentionally - I don't think he realized how far the floor was). He was fine. He's also fallen off of all manner of beds since he became mobile, and you know what? He may have gotten a few bruises, but he would have done it in a crib too (from a higher height because he would have climbed out). He's none the worse for wear, and I just wouldn't worry about it.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:55 AM

There's a secret in parenthood.... all babies fall off beds   ;)   wish someone had told me with my first....

Old 03-12-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. She's doing fine today, a little sleepy after being awake so long in the middle of the night, but She's still my happy girl.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:16 PM

Yep, I can't even count the number of times my DS has fallen off the bed.

When he was really little it gave us peace of mind to get rid of the frame and just put the mattress and boxspring on the floor, and since my DH is the one who worries in the family, he would put pillows on the side of the bed that wasn't against the wall. But like a PP, around that age, my DS was also diving off the bed (usually on purpose.)

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

Old 03-14-2012, 12:53 AM

Both my kids have fallen off the bed.  They seem as fine as a 3 year old and a toddler can seem lol.

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 03-14-2012, 07:09 AM

Oh yea, I felt so bad when my LO fell the first time, we were staying at his grandfathers on a futon, a very narrow futonirked.gif he was 5months old

it really didnt happen often for him

dont feel bad! we've all been there

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

Old 03-18-2012, 09:11 PM

I came here intending to post about my DD falling out of bed last night! I'm just curious - since so many seem to have been there - what would help prevent this? DD is almost a year old, she can crawl over pillows, and my DH works out of town two-three nights a week, so there is not always a body on on the other side of the bed to keep her from flopping right onto the floor. We slept with our older son on a futon mattress (for three long, achey years), so the worst for him was rolling down three inches. But we moved to a new house and got a new bed, and DH is not ready to go back to sleeping on the floor. Despite the comments, I'm rather concerned. Would a bed rail work? 

Married to Tony 6/07. Mommy to Jude 4/08 and Gemma 4/11.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreenemama View Post

I came here intending to post about my DD falling out of bed last night! I'm just curious - since so many seem to have been there - what would help prevent this? DD is almost a year old, she can crawl over pillows, and my DH works out of town two-three nights a week, so there is not always a body on on the other side of the bed to keep her from flopping right onto the floor. We slept with our older son on a futon mattress (for three long, achey years), so the worst for him was rolling down three inches. But we moved to a new house and got a new bed, and DH is not ready to go back to sleeping on the floor. Despite the comments, I'm rather concerned. Would a bed rail work? 

No. Put pillows on the floor and call it good. We had a bed rail for my ds at one point, and we took it down the day he used it to pull up and flung himself over the top of it. He was about 8-9mo. He was completely fine, but it scared the crap out of me.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:55 AM

I think all babies fall of the bed--even those that don't co-sleep!

There are lots of solutions that don't involve putting your daughter in her own bed if you don't think you're ready for that yet.  We've had so many configurations of the family bed these last 4+ years!  For a while we just put the mattress on the floor.  Now we have a foam bumper on the baby's side (my older son is four and we just recently took the bumper off his side, hooray!) and it's working out great. 

Glad everything is okay.  Just wanted to chime in that stuff like this is normal and it doesn't mean you have to stop co-sleeping. :)

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:25 AM

When my now 9 ds was 3 months old...

We slept on a pretty high bed. I'd sleep in the middle so that when he woke up to breastfeed I could switch him over to the other side and then back again to his side, against the wall.

But one night, I'd somehow moved over to the edge of the bed.

Half-asleep I did the usual flip to the other side, but since I was right on the edge, I literally threw him off the bed.

Good thing little babies bounce.

He was fine.

Mama to one 9yo Dancing Boy

My Blog - http://luminousfire.blogspot.com/

Old 03-30-2012, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post

There's a secret in parenthood.... all babies fall off beds   ;)   wish someone had told me with my first....

This is so scary to me! I'm a first time mom/cosleeper and from the start we put our mattress on the floor. Even if baby turns out fine from a fall, I don't know if I would recover from the fright! I feel much better know it would just be a little roll compared to an all out fall on the floor!

Happily married to DH 

Stay-at-home mama to DS1 (01/12) & DS2 (01/14)

Old 03-30-2012, 10:04 PM

We just recently fashioned a sidecar toddler bed out of an old futon frame and mattress (we cut both into thirds) and anchored it onto our bed.  This has changed my nighttime world!  Although my DS, 25mos, still wakes up occasionally to nurse or go to the bathroom I have some space on the bed again!  I now think we could have done this a lot sooner.  We have his side pushed against the wall, but I also have a rail to attach if we move him away from the wall.  I love co-sleeping and also having room to turn over without waking the whole bed!

Old 03-30-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makaleka87 View Post

This is so scary to me! I'm a first time mom/cosleeper and from the start we put our mattress on the floor. Even if baby turns out fine from a fall, I don't know if I would recover from the fright! I feel much better know it would just be a little roll compared to an all out fall on the floor!

It doesn't matter if they cosleep or not  ;)  Heck, it could be the couch.  Babies fall.  Luckily they're made out of rubber...    shy.gif

Old 03-31-2012, 07:33 PM

I have a fear this is going to happen but we just got a very low to the ground platform bed.  Makes me feel better!

Old 03-31-2012, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My first never fell off the bed, but the second did three times. It happens. Babies who don't sleep fall too. Oh, and I dropped the first one from standing at one point, and the second now that I think of it too, and that's a bigger fall than off the bed. It's horrifying and scary and I watched them like a hawk after it happend bu tthey were fine.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

I fell in the mud when my oldest was about a year old, according to one of the older guys watching I ducked and rolled, I felt awful but she didn't even have a speck of dirt on her. middle child fell off the bed a few times. dh is MUCH more of a worrier than the dad of the older girls

Old 04-01-2012, 07:36 AM

Our mattress is on the floor (and was before babe got here), but.... at 12mo my DS snuck away from me while I was folding some laundry and rolled down a full flight of (carpeted, padded) steps into the basement. I don't know how the door got left open. It will never, ever happen again, and it was the worst feeling I have ever had in my life (nearly broke my leg sprinting across the kitchen floor when I realized where he was headed...).  I still feel like vomiting when I remember. But, I seemed to be more bruised and injured than he was, and I definitely cried for longer...

Kendra (30),  mum to ds fly-by-nursing1.gif(2/14/11), and one angel1.gif. Pregnant with my rainbow1284.gif due 6/10/13, it's a GIRL!!!
 novaxnocirc.gif familybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpggoorganic.jpg

Tags
Family Bed
User Tag List