3 year olds waking up multiple times at night - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-14-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

About 3 weeks ago I transitioned my twin 3.5 year old girls to sleep in their own twin beds.  Before that I was co-sleeping with them plus their 5 year old brother when they waked up at night-moving into their bed.  I've moved the 5 year old into his own room and he is now sleeping through the night.  The 3 year olds on the other hand are waking up between 3-4 times each!  One twin has slept a few times through the night, but the other one always wakes up and calls me.  I sit with her for about a minute and then she goes back to sleep.  I'm assuming it's habit, but how do I break that habit?  I nursed them for 2.5 years, so that was how they went to sleep before.  Now they go to sleep with me holding their hand at night, sitting next to them.  They sometimes go to sleep for their naps by themselves, but not at night.  They are too scared to sleep by themselves (they say).  Any ideas why they are doing this and how I can keep from getting up so many times at night? 

Thanks,

Sarah  

#2 of 5 Old 03-14-2012, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Could they sleep in one bed, or the twin beds pushed together?

#3 of 5 Old 03-15-2012, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

They were in the same bed before, but they were waking up because they would sleep on top of each other.  Now the one girl is sleeping through the night.  I'm not sure I want to change that.  I think I'm going to try and have the one who is not sleeping well to sleep on a mattress on the floor in our room, so she can look over and see me but not be in my bed.  We'll see how that works.  Thanks for responding!

#4 of 5 Old 03-17-2012, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You are welcome. Good luck with the transition.

#5 of 5 Old 03-25-2012, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

The mattres on the floor didn't work.  I am still getting up with her about 4 times a night.  The other two continue to sleep through the night.  I don't know what else to do, except slowly get her used to going to sleep without me. 

Sarah

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page